Troubleshooting factory HID's

Gus_Mahn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The left front factory HID on my '03 is malfunctioning. The light is purple at startup, will get to the normal color after a few minutes, but sometimes goes out until the car is restarted. Is it the bulb or balast? How do you figure out which needs replaced?

I would suspect that it is most likely the bulb (because of the color change). However, there is a way to test this. Swap the left and right HID bulbs. If the problem moves to the right with the bulb, then it is the bulb. If the problem stays on the left, then the ballast is really to blame.

I would suspect that it is most likely the bulb (because of the color change). However, there is a way to test this. Swap the left and right HID bulbs. If the problem moves to the right with the bulb, then it is the bulb. If the problem stays on the left, then the ballast is really to blame.
I was planning on doing that. It's a little work but might save a lot. Wholesale on a ballast is over $600 and the bulb is about $60. I've read to swap the bulbs as pairs as the color may vary. Any truth to that? How rare is the failure of an HID bulb or ballast?

I don't think you can even buy a single bulb... Actually you may be able to, but just replace them both.

And for kicks, throw in a different temperature than you had in before.

I don't think you can even buy a single bulb... Actually you may be able to, but just replace them both.

And for kicks, throw in a different temperature than you had in before.
Naaah, not my style. Stock is good enough for me.

I was planning on doing that. It's a little work but might save a lot. Wholesale on a ballast is over $600 and the bulb is about $60. I've read to swap the bulbs as pairs as the color may vary. Any truth to that? How rare is the failure of an HID bulb or ballast?

Failure of the bulb or ballast on the LS seems to be pretty rare, unlike the Prius.

I suspect that if you don't buy the OEM bulb, you would want to replace both as there probably would be a color difference.

I would try out a cheap bulb first to narrow down the issue.

Well, I swapped the bulbs, and the issue moved to the other side. I noticed a small crack in the glass of my OE bulb. The local auto parts store had Eiko D2R bulbs for $72 vs $99 at the box stores. The factory bulb was $120 wholesale and 2 days away. I bought 1 Eiko bulb, and it's looks like a regular halogen yellow light once it warms up not the bright blue/gray of my factory bulb. I'm going to order a factory bulb and change it when time allows, as I've been working almost 80 hrs a week. At least both lights work again and it wasn't the $600+ ballast!

I would replace both or they will probably end up being different colors even if you get the same intensity bulb as the OE bulb.

Replace both, as HID bulbs definitely color shift and lose output over time. Also, stick with the OEM Philips D2R (85126). It'll be 4100K or 4300K. That color temperature gives the most visible output. Sure 6000K or 8000K look cool to some people, but you're not getting as much light output from those.

Replacing both now is also a good idea because the output (lumens) decreases over time. Here's a lifespan/lumen curve for a 85122 (D2S); it would be very similar to the 85126 (D2R) [Read the "Bulbs" section of the FAQ on HID Planet (lots of good info on there)]:

hidoutputcurve.jpg

Members online

Back