transmission

the1andonlyGR81

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so i get in this morning start her up drive 1st gear 2nd shift and keeps on going, let off the gas,no drive winds out. turns out the dipstick was low about 2 quarts, get back in, same thing it will wind out second no prob until you let off it drops into drive and winds away.wtf!

damn bro didnt you just toast a motor. you have got some ssshhhiiiiaaatttt luck sir

no sir. this is the 3rd edition motor. toasted the one it came with, fixed with thermagasket worked for 1.5 yrs great stuff when i had the headers put on it must have knocked out the gasket material, melted the motor. put used motor in, burned that motor up in 3 wks, came with bad gasket, that and my radiator being clogged with fan not working helped it along sooooooo, rebuilt another motor the one i currently enjoyed for a week now tranny toast. mechanic says that continual heat build up was the culprit so NOW i have new cammed motor, radiator, tune,now that tranny is out having it modded as convienience just hope when i do the rear it will be because im ready not failure.:rolleyes:

no sir. this is the 3rd edition motor. toasted the one it came with, fixed with thermagasket worked for 1.5 yrs great stuff when i had the headers put on it must have knocked out the gasket material, melted the motor. put used motor in, burned that motor up in 3 wks, came with bad gasket, that and my radiator being clogged with fan not working helped it along sooooooo, rebuilt another motor the one i currently enjoyed for a week now tranny toast. mechanic says that continual heat build up was the culprit so NOW i have new cammed motor, radiator, tune,now that tranny is out having it modded as convienience just hope when i do the rear it will be because im ready not failure.:rolleyes:

So, not to be a cynic, but how many hours have you gotten to actually enjoy this vehicle?!? Wow, seems like one thing after another! My Mark hasn't been on the road much at all because I know all the little issues and I'm trying to fix them all before I drive it much (doing simple mods along the way); using the Bird I did J-Mod over a year ago currently as a DD.

Now, I have a build going on for the Bird. I have heads, cams, intake, pistons, rings, gaskets, etc. I have a Teksid I'm getting for the block to start with; while that is going on, the 4v head will be redone for the Mark in the future (the heads on the Mark are fine).

so i get in this morning start her up drive 1st gear 2nd shift and keeps on going, let off the gas,no drive winds out. turns out the dipstick was low about 2 quarts, get back in, same thing it will wind out second no prob until you let off it drops into drive and winds away.wtf!

I had that happen to me when I was sold a bad tranny a couple years ago when I had my mods done. The shady guy told me my stock 110K mile transmission had bad fluid and I should buy this other tranny he had. I was stupid enough to do it. Eventually it will probably start neutraling out from 1st gear and slam into 2nd. Unfortunately, it sounds to me like you have a clutch pack going bad.

What do used 4R70Ws sell for in your area? Yeah, I know, sounds a little crazy but I have a used salvage yard transmission out of a 99 Vic that I bought with 70K miles and it has handled the torment I have put the car through ever since. The nice thing about the tranny I got is that it was out of a Civilian Vic and more than likely driven by an older person so it saw an easy 70K miles.

I had that happen to me when I was sold a bad tranny a couple years ago when I had my mods done. The shady guy told me my stock 110K mile transmission had bad fluid and I should buy this other tranny he had. I was stupid enough to do it. Eventually it will probably start neutraling out from 1st gear and slam into 2nd. Unfortunately, it sounds to me like you have a clutch pack going bad.

What do used 4R70Ws sell for in your area? Yeah, I know, sounds a little crazy but I have a used salvage yard transmission out of a 99 Vic that I bought with 70K miles and it has handled the torment I have put the car through ever since. The nice thing about the tranny I got is that it was out of a Civilian Vic and more than likely driven by an older person so it saw an easy 70K miles.

My tranny does that every once in awhile! During the 1-2 shift, it like neutrals out, revs up and I instinctively let off the throttle. I can hear like a "can of ball bearings being shaken" sound from the tranny, then it finally catches 2nd. It does this maybe once ever 1-2 months. What causes this? I figured it's the roller bearing starting to go bad, but I don't really know.

used, like anywheres it depends, lowest i found was 500 im already having it rebuilt, the only thing i cant afford right now is the right tc. but im not going to be able to put the gears in for a while now as i had to borrow just to get motor done let alone the tranny now.and the motor isnt dialed in yet either, i just have had waaaaaayyyyyyyy to much chit going on between my car, my health,the 1 yr anniversary of my accident, grandmas in hosp in boston and prob not gonna make it, alot on me plate ya know. i just took it to the shop and said 'do it' ill have it tomorrow or early fr.

So, not to be a cynic, but how many hours have you gotten to actually enjoy this vehicle?!? Wow, seems like one thing after another! My Mark hasn't been on the road much at all because I know all the little issues and I'm trying to fix them all before I drive it much (doing simple mods along the way); using the Bird I did J-Mod over a year ago currently as a DD.

Now, I have a build going on for the Bird. I have heads, cams, intake, pistons, rings, gaskets, etc. I have a Teksid I'm getting for the block to start with; while that is going on, the 4v head will be redone for the Mark in the future (the heads on the Mark are fine).

this is what you want the cobra cams for?

this is what you want the cobra cams for?

No, not the current build. Like I said, the heads I take off the Teksid block, I'm gonna have worked over with a good 3-angle or better valve job, little pocket porting and put those cams in them. Then they are going on the shelf for a bit until I put them on the Mark.

They are NOT going on my present Teksid build - I've got some flat top pistons and ported/polished 2v heads going on that build. The current build engine is going in the Bird.

I'm sorry, but how is running the tranny low on fluid bad luck? Isn't that bad maintenance?

tranny fluid and everything was checked last week when motor was put in. im tired of pointing fingers and just want it done. i think it was the guy doing the motor when he put tranny cooler in, didnt check it again after he filled it and let it run. of course after toasting two motors, one to the point of burning all the sensors and putting a hole in piston the heat build up just moved on back. now ive got a built tranny built to handle around 750 hp. geting a higher stall converter, just not the 3500 i was going to put in just dont have the extra $$ for that right now he had the other already in the shop for someone else who never picked it up let me have it for nothing.well nothing extra.

Members online

No members online now.
Back