Transmission reprogram

reset worked for me

when the 2 minute wait was up, I heard a low buzz coming from the dash area, which is what made me think something took place.

00 ls v8 nuthin fancy

I used to do this all the time, Just sat in the car after unplugging the bat, and shifted through all the gears with brake on. seemed to firm up a bit.

After re-connecting the battery and re-energizing the systems, a very "spirited" driving session is necessary to 'learn' that tranny a thing or two. A rural highway or low traffic road, at first light works for me...little or no on-comming or cross traffic to interrupt 3 or 4 repeats each...0-30, 0-50, 0-80, 0-100. For a month, maybe 2, shifts kick. If you can't repeat the launch process, routine driving shifts are learned and you're back where you started. Even with the key process, poking it hard is necessary to "fix" the shift points.

@cirelle I hear that noise you speak of in my car after turning it off too Think about it. How long do you sit in the car after turning it off? I think the car always makes that buzzing sound. Either that or our cars are broken.

I used to do this all the time, Just sat in the car after unplugging the bat, and shifted through all the gears with brake on. seemed to firm up a bit.

So to clarify, after reconnecting the battery, you'd sit with the engine running and foot on the brake while shifting 1-5 thru the SST? And would you go up and down 1-5, 5-1? Repeat at all? thx

Ok I tried it, haven't driven anywhere yet, but after sitting in the car for a few mins in silence. I heard a tiny little hum. Like it was electrical, kinda like when you pull out the key and the steering wheel resets, but very very subtle. Could be nothing, but did anyone else hear that.

I heard that lastnight as i sat in my car. i read the forum and decided to check it out. I started my car let it run for a few, turned it off and just sat there in silence.... I heard it, and it almost sounded like it does when your steering wheel re-tracks. But i never did anything of the statement above. Just saying could it be in your head that it works? :shifty: :)

I don't think a spirited driving session does it. my battery was disco'd for months and after just putting it back in, and driving aggressively for a bit, going into reverse still takes a few seconds longer then it should.

Going to give it a go again tonight.

I heard that lastnight as i sat in my car. i read the forum and decided to check it out. I started my car let it run for a few, turned it off and just sat there in silence.... I heard it, and it almost sounded like it does when your steering wheel re-tracks. But i never did anything of the statement above. Just saying could it be in your head that it works? :shifty: :)

maybe the fuel pump doing something?

It's the a/c doors resetting. The stock radio head unit w/ cd changer will also do a little dance with the CDs occasionally.

It's the a/c doors resetting. The stock radio head unit w/ cd changer will also do a little dance with the CDs occasionally.

Thanks for the explanation. First time I heard it I opened the door and headed for the hills thinking my car was going to explode.

Did this but only one time each. Don't know if it did much if anything. Before I do it again after doing the 0-80 and especially the 0-100 pulls I smelled something. Am I right in assuming this to be burning fluid or clutch material? something else? I'm looking to do it again repetitively before I take it in to the ever trustworthy dealership.

After re-connecting the battery and re-energizing the systems, a very "spirited" driving session is necessary to 'learn' that tranny a thing or two. A rural highway or low traffic road, at first light works for me...little or no on-comming or cross traffic to interrupt 3 or 4 repeats each...0-30, 0-50, 0-80, 0-100. For a month, maybe 2, shifts kick. If you can't repeat the launch process, routine driving shifts are learned and you're back where you started. Even with the key process, poking it hard is necessary to "fix" the shift points.

I find myself having to repeat the process somewhat frequently. After the reprogram it shifts great until I drive at highway speeds for an hour or more. At that point it will have a hard shift from 2nd to third. otherwise its great. Im wondering if a trip to the dealer to have the TCM flashed would fix it?

I thought it was shifting a bit better but then again I didn't do it the 5 or so times up to each speed as suggested. I was a little worried about the smell I have. I'm pry just going to take 'er in and see how the dealership decides to rape me. They assure me that they have good guys, and that there's no hidden costs, there not going to have me throw money at the problem, yada yada yada :blah:

reset worked for me

when the 2 minute wait was up, I heard a low buzz coming from the dash area, which is what made me think something took place.

00 ls v8 nuthin fancy

I heard the noise as well. I also noticed that my MPH & RPM needles maxed out then quick went back to normal when I started the car for the first time after the reset.

...I also noticed that my MPH & RPM needles maxed out then quick went back to normal when I started the car for the first time after the reset.

Probably, your battery is getting weak and should be replaced. Most auto stores will load test it for free, but the battery itself is mostly (not entirely) a dealer item.

Probably, your battery is getting weak and should be replaced. Most auto stores will load test it for free, but the battery itself is mostly (not entirely) a dealer item.

On a normal start though, the needles don't do that. I just happend to notice it after I did the "reset"... I did the reset twice just to make sure that's what caused that to happen...

You got me second guessing myself here... :confused:

On a normal start though, the needles don't do that. I just happend to notice it after I did the "reset"... I did the reset twice just to make sure that's what caused that to happen...

You got me second guessing myself here... :confused:

Turn the key on, but don't start the engine. Play the radio for 15 minutes and leave the driver's door open.

After this, see if the needles reset during start up.

A weak battery is more likely to show itself after powering a load for a little bit. You probably drained it a little during the "reset" procedure.

Turn the key on, but don't start the engine. Play the radio for 15 minutes and leave the driver's door open.

After this, see if the needles reset during start up.

A weak battery is more likely to show itself after powering a load for a little bit. You probably drained it a little during the "reset" procedure.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

If this does not work for you a Re-Flash may be needed. That costs about $80 at my Ford dealer.

Well folks I just did this this morning and have been driving for a little while. It certainly works on my 2000. I had really hard shifts yesterday and after doing this reprogram proceedure it is shifting softer Like it should. I'm pretty happy about it!

What did you do? The key procedure?

So far my 3.9 Liter 2003 Lincoln LS hasn't thrown a transmission error.

That code started right after my battery died and I got a jump. And left a performance chip that might've messed with the ECU before it had relearned everything. Was an on and off code but no issues other than the usual for the poor but tough transmission chosen.

Will update later but so far it seems to have worked.

Might also add. With the unsuitable trans.

1981 Ferrari 308 GTSi (Magnum. P.I's). 0-60 specs
0-60 mph7.3 seconds
Top speed226 kph / 141 mph

2003 Lincoln LS 0-60 Times​

2003 Lincoln LS 0-60 Times

Trim0-60 times, 1/4 mile
V8 Sport 4dr Sedan
280 Hp, 286 Lb-Ft., 3962lbs Weight
6.4 (self tested on private property) sec, 15.1

Top speed 135-140 limited. 155 without a limiter.

Last edited:

Members online

Back