Transmission reprogram

Wicked Ace

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
There was a thread, posted some time back. I don't recall the topic and can't bring anything up in a search. It had to do with turning the key to reprogram the transmission. I tried it before and it helped with the shift points and feel but don't recall the whole procedure. Anyone remember what it was?

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=69987

I don't know if this trick will work for the LS with the drive by wire, but it seems to work on a lot of other DBW equipped cars:

Turn ignition to ON. I don't know if this will be Accessories or full on RUN (without starting) position. It seems to vary.

Step on Accelerator Pedal and push it to the floor for 5 seconds

Turn ignition to OFF, leave key inserted

Release accelerator pedal

Don't do anything for at least 2 minutes. Don't open doors, windows, don't play with any electronics (though, I wouldn't think changing radio stations would affect it).

This sequence supposedly resets the transmission control unit (TCU) and forces it to re-learn your driving style.

Again, I have heard it works on just about any DBW equipped car (with an automatic transmission, of course), but I can only vouch for it on Mercedes transmissions. For all I know, the LS doesn't even have a "learning" TCU though. But you should feel an increase in power. No, not from the engine, but rather due to how the torque limiters in the TCU deal with the power the engine is putting into the transmission.

Please let me know if any of you try it. I'm curious to see if the LS TCU can be "reset" this way.

Of course, you won't be (or at least shouldn't be) screwing anything up. Much as I am an ass, I would NEVER purposely steer any of my fellow LvC members astray.

Only a DBW option? Or do us Gen1 owners have a way to reset the "learning" of the transmission?

I just did the outlined steps on my Gen1 yesterday afternoon and it definitely works.

I just did the outlined steps on my Gen1 yesterday afternoon and it definitely works.

And is there any confirmation from the car that its re-setting the transmission?

And unplugging the battery overnight will reset the transmission safely? Again any confirmation? Will it drive differently or what?

And is there any confirmation from the car that its re-setting the transmission?

And unplugging the battery overnight will reset the transmission safely? Again any confirmation? Will it drive differently or what?

I have had my car for a little over 1 year. Do you think if I log the shift points tomorrow, then complete the steps listed above, and track the shift points again the next day, that would be a way to figure out if it is resetting the tranny?

It may not be scientific but it would provide some documented results.

Yeah I mean as long as your only variable is the transmission reprogram. I feel the transmission is so indecisive about which gear it wants anyways that kind of logging would be difficult.

Read the old thread how do you know you did it right? Any warning signal or noise?

no, but there is a noticeable difference when driving the car.

Just try it, your car won't blow up lol

Can you elaborate maybe? How does it "definitely work"?

I noticed my car was shifting "weird". It would rev what seemed to be too high between gears and not shift as smooth as I expected/hoped. I ran across Frogman's post and decided I had nothing to loose. Afterwards, I noticed much smoother shifts at normal shift points. I hadn't added or removed anything else, so the DBW reset did it for me.

Awesome, thank you thats what I was hoping to hear. My transmission is having the same symptoms as well. Its going into Lincoln on Friday for 7 new coils and plugs and an oil change. I'll reset it after then and report back when its finally running perfect again.

To bad I'm probably going to have to replace the cats now.

Has anybody done this lately with any positive results? I'm not sure that I've noticed much of a difference myself. After taking long trips my tranny will start to shift real firm almost snappy from 2nd to 3 rd I usually unplug the battery for a while and it will shift great for a while until I take a long trip and it starts to shift funny again. I tried this reset procedure because it's a pain in the ass to pull all my stereo stuff Out of the trunk to disconnect the battery and then I have to reprogram all the settings on my head unit. I am going to try this again tomorrow again and I will report back if it works.

Well folks I just did this this morning and have been driving for a little while. It certainly works on my 2000. I had really hard shifts yesterday and after doing this reprogram proceedure it is shifting softer Like it should. I'm pretty happy about it!

I reported in a thread a month ago that my transmission shop told me to try this before I paid them to flush fluid/change filter. I was having the exact same symptoms as the OP and this free fix worked amazingly well on my '06!

I'm hoping a custom tune would do similar things only better.

im going to try this on my '01. the only shifting problem I encounter is between 40-50mph the engine stutters and can't decide which gear to go into. does a little shimmy before it kicks in.

Ok I tried it, haven't driven anywhere yet, but after sitting in the car for a few mins in silence. I heard a tiny little hum. Like it was electrical, kinda like when you pull out the key and the steering wheel resets, but very very subtle. Could be nothing, but did anyone else hear that.

Ok I tried it, haven't driven anywhere yet, but after sitting in the car for a few mins in silence. I heard a tiny little hum. Like it was electrical, kinda like when you pull out the key and the steering wheel resets, but very very subtle. Could be nothing, but did anyone else hear that.

I did! It even reset my hvac controls. It took me two tries to notice a difference but I did. There were nOt the same noises in the car with the reprogram verses not! Let us know if u notice a change as well driving it.

After driving for a while. I notice immediately the initial pickup. The car doesn't have that delay in power from a standstill. But the overall RPMs seem to be higher before the actual shift. The shift speed is much quicker. I haven't driven above 45mph yet. I'll do it again next week to have a comparison

Members online

Back