transmission problems

romois9

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2004 has trouble shifting from 1-2, I've been told my transmission needs to be rebuilt. The shop said ford put a transmission that couldn't handle the torque of the ls stock. I've been told it has to be bored out and reinforced. Which is fine with me I was wondering if anyone has any problem like mine.

It can handle the torque. What is the reason for the rebuild? How many miles?

Only 150k, and its hurting my mpgs cause it shuts off my overdrive, I hot rod it bad not as much now my tranny is bad.

Solenoid problems are the main problems for 04's, but it sounds like your past that point. Make sure they replace the solenoid pack as well.

Now I put one the solenoid packs in and it had no difference

There is only one solenoid assembly in the transmission. If you drove it too long with a bad solenoid assembly and/or valve body, then the rest of the transmission could be torn up now too.

If you drove it too long with a bad solenoid assembly and/or valve body, then the rest of the transmission could be torn up now too.

As I recently learned. This CAN definitely happen. 3+ years of driving like that = a complete rebuild for me.

They said if they rebuild it and reforce it. I would never have the problem again. I was wanting to buy a rebuild but I figured I would be in the same situation again. It's about 2000 for turn key tranny rebuild or 1800 remanufactured and I would have to put in myself.

They said if they rebuild it and reforce it.

This, also, is bull. Other transmissions do have improved parts available (hardened shafts, billet drums, extra clutch packs, etc), but not so much for the 5r55. There's no reason to use fancy parts with these engines anyway.

My 2005 LS Ultima had transmission work done in 2011; the milage on the car was 43,658. The car felt “jerky” when accelerating, which was confirmed by the tech. To further quote the tech’s analysis:

“Vehicle feels jerky when accelerating. Traced to transmission. Trans was flaring and not staying engaged. Removed trans and inspection found servo bores worn. TSB repair #09-12-12. Repaired servo bores with kit and overhauled trans”

In layman’s terms, apparently the servo bores wear because of the steel shafts operation against the aluminum case holes. I was told that the repair consists of increasing the diameter of the holes and inserting steel sleeves.

Anyhow, you may have a different issue but at least you can ask whether the above TSB applies to your car, and have it fixed under warranty. Otherwise, this would be a costly repair that I was told Ford does not cover once the warranty expires, even though they are aware of this failure mode (thus the TSB).

Members online

No members online now.
Back