Transmission problems

rollinstonekeith

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII with 118k miles on it; I doubt the transmission fluid has ever been changed on it. Anyways it was shifting funny almost like shuttering while shifting from 3rd to overdrive. I put some stop hard shifting fluid in the trans. and it stopped. Now about 3 months later its doing a similar thing. It will shift at low rmp's and bog the motor down, even from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to overdrive. Anyone know what this is it's doing??? Does it just need a complete fluid change??? Is the trans. dying??? Is it a sensor in the trans.??? Please help I'm a newbee with these cars.

Thank you so much,
Vic

Your problem is the 2nd part of the first sentence

If your fluid is dark brown, start shopping for a new trans and torque converter

If its still red, have it serviced, see what happens :) good luck

From what you're saying, trans shudder, or the TC is about to die
Could be a list of things thou, trans valve body, shift solenoids,

Don't forget to drain the TC when you're doing the trans...

Do some research on the 4R70W
vbinstall.avi- YouTube

Ok thank you so much!!! I will make sure to drain the fluid from the TC. I hope a fluid change will fix the problem. The worst thing it posibly is, is probably the TC because I highly doubt the whole trans. would just take a crap.

It could if you put fluid in there that it didn't want in there

Does the tranny shutter happen around 40 mph? This has been written about many times on this forum ...

Remember when changing the fluid you better change the filter also, a tranny flush tends to be better than just a straight drain the fluid as the tranny flush should also get the TC fluids.

Personally I'd put money on the TC is on it's way out.

Might also want to try leaving OD off at 40 mph. I keep mine off at 45 or lower, unless the distance is going to last a while. 50 and above, hit the OD button when you feel like it's time for it. Start using that button. The OD button in my car is something that is just part of my driving habits. It gets used quite often and I'm at 119K, almost 120K and zero shudder. I'm sure it's day is coming and when it does, a 98 will be going in next.

I drove the car all day today and it didnt do it at all. It just seems to shift real early if im light on the gas. I drive her real slow and most of the bogging down motor problems happen if I keep the rpm's under 1500 if I get them up around 2000 it doesnt do it. Maybe I'm just to light on the gas??

Do you mean a whole 98 trans. or do you just mean a 98 TC??

A whole 98 trans swap will be done and yes, you're a little too light on the pedal. When you start the car, press the OD button and turn it off. When you start going, don't "old lady it". Get it going and when you hit third, leave the OD off unless you get up to around 45 and then turn on the OD. When you start coming to a stop, press the button again. It's not going to hurt it but of you're just going short distances from light to light, I wouldn't even have OD on at all.

Members online

No members online now.
Back