Transmission Help

Thank you guys for all the input and advice. So far my plan of action is to get my flush done for the time being and place a order for a solenoid pack, valve body, and mercon transmission fluid sinci i will have to do it over again

Only do the flush once. Otherwise you're just wasting money; as you mentioned you will have to replace the lost fluid from the valve body change anyway....

Ok, good to know. I will also get the transgo and a filter with those orders. My last qurstions...,how can i tell if i have the S or N transmission and does anyone know an OH Kit is?

Thread jack (kinda) - But this is very interesting to me.

I'll try to sum up my experience and hopefully some of you can offer comments and it is very similar to what the OP seems to be dealing with.

On 8/31/12 I took my car to a local Ford Dealer (I still have the customer copy of the receipt) because the "E" came on. They checked it and on the receipt it says: "Tech performed testing, retrieve code p1744. Tech found the valve body will need to be replaced and the solenoids, then trans flush. After solenoids and valve body are installed, trans will need to be rechecked to make sure no further damage was done to trans."

At the time I didn't have the money and to be honest, I've always hated the trans in this car so I planned to drive it until it burned up, then have it rebuilt with better parts and a transgo kit and such. Anyway, that was a year ago and I haven't really noticed many performance issues other than my crappy gas mileage. Before the "E," I was getting 26mpg highway and since the "E," I'm lucky to get 19 - I assumed this had to do with the converter locking/not locking and overdrive although I'm not sure. I've also noticed it seems to get very confused when downshifting and then getting back on the gas but these transmissions always seem to have that problem.

Shortly after my visit to the dealer, I reset the battery and haven't seen the "E" since - nearly a year ago. Like I said, my gas mileage seems to be the only real problem and if what some of you are telling me is accurate, it seems that perhaps I'm not actually doing as much damage to the trans I originally thought and as the dealer led me to believe...

... does anyone know an OH Kit is?

OH = OverHauling kit (you'd think for that kinda money it'd include the $70 bushings.)

and the VCG, is this really your biggest problem right now, are they leaking so bad that your coils are getting soaked and your LS is misfiring and your engine is getting covered in oil, the problem is so bad and it must be done ? or .. wait, they are just sweating a little like millions of cars out there and the Steelers just thought they could squeeze that out of ya as well.

forget about the VCG's for now, it's not priority, neither is the brake job, pull the wheel and have a look, most likey lots of pad/rotor still left.

You gotta remember, they are there to UPSELL, plain and simple!

... Shortly after my visit to the dealer, I reset the battery and haven't seen the "E" since - nearly a year ago ...

Right on, as I've been saying, without drivability problems, reset and fresh filter/fluid,
see where it goes from there as opposed to immediately dropping a new trans in.

Just pointing out it's resetting the PCM by means of disconnecting from the battery for a while. (not able to reset a battery but you knew that.)

Top left corner on the label, first line. As M4rk said, reads "Date MM/YY"

I'll try to sum up my experience and hopefully some of you can offer comments and it is very similar to what the OP seems to be dealing with.

On 8/31/12 I took my car to a local Ford Dealer (I still have the customer copy of the receipt) because the "E" came on. They checked it and on the receipt it says: "Tech performed testing, retrieve code p1744. Tech found the valve body will need to be replaced and the solenoids, then trans flush. After solenoids and valve body are installed, trans will need to be rechecked to make sure no further damage was done to trans."

I'm kind of surprised they didn't just go straight to a rebuild. Seems like a lot of dealerships much rather replace your trans than fix the actual problem.

Just curious what was the price they gave you?

Big Rig - you're right - meant resetting the PCM, not the battery.
I'll check my build date later today and post.

Stugots - After speaking to the dealer about the issues I had, he seemed to believe I would need to rebuild the entire trans because he was pretty sure I had done further damage...so they certainly were leaning towards a rebuild. In fact, the way he worded it made it sound stupid for me to not do a rebuild since he would charge me for solenoids, valve body, fluid, put the trans back in, and then if it was still messed up, rip it out and recharge me for that labor and new fluid, etc.. Since it was a year ago, I don't exactly remember the price but I believe it was around 2000 for just the solenoids, valve body, fluid, which is another reason I decided not to do it - I can have my trans rebuilt with better parts and a transgo kit for around that much from a local trans guy.

I've been occasionally looking on Ebay and such for an 03+ trans "shell" that I can have "built" while I keep driving my car and then drop it in when it's done, but everything is either too far or too pricey.

Oh so i just got the flush done. I ask to change the filter as well when i left but got a call a couple mins later saying there was no need of a filter change because they did not detect any shavings. I didn't ask them to look for anything so that call was actually a relief. Now i plan on leaving the battery unplugged and put a order for the parts i mentioned earlier

Ammaco and dealerships are a rip off. I had transmission issues with my car when I first bought it and they both told me I needed a $4300 rebuild. Ammaco even told me they would charge me $450 just to drop it and diagnose the issue. $130 bucks later and some time to learn (3 days) my car has been running fine every since. Oh on top of that my issue was a $13 spring. Trust me read here and follow their lead. The guys on here saved me major bucks they will not steer you wrong.

Aww man stugots, your last comment killed my hope within a second. I'm still pushing to get this problem handled tho

Aww man stugots, your last comment killed my hope within a second. I'm still pushing to get this problem handled tho

Don't lose hope. Kathy said there would be no long term damage. Apparently the converter just doesn't lock.

I read on here a few months ago that the dealer has to recalibrate the trans after the solenoid replacement?

So Sunday after the flush was done, I let my car sit for 8hrs with the battery unhooked. When I finally drove it, the transmission light didn't come back on till 10miles into the trip. Even if it didn't, I was still planning on getting the parts changed. I found a close seller that will have my parts mailed to me by tomorrow but the transgo may take a while.

Can I have the block, body, and filter put in as soon as I get them then go back and to add the transgo or is it something best done all together? I don't want to wait a couple of days driving with the parts are here but waiting for the transgo to come in

So Sunday after the flush was done, I let my car sit for 8hrs with the battery unhooked. When I finally drove it, the transmission light didn't come back on till 10miles into the trip. Even if it didn't, I was still planning on getting the parts changed. I found a close seller that will have my parts mailed to me by tomorrow but the transgo may take a while.

Can I have the block, body, and filter put in as soon as I get them then go back and to add the transgo or is it something best done all together? I don't want to wait a couple of days driving with the parts are here but waiting for the transgo to come in

If you can, wait for it. Otherwise, you'll pay a fortune in fluid!!

My car is shifting slow, and on occasion shifting hard. Other than that, I get no DTC's and no message center errors. I'm assuming I need to replace the shift solenoid? I'm nearing 122,000 miles in my '05 so I know preventative maintenance is the order of the day. Advice?

Also, I see talk of this Transgo business. I'm going to search here before I ask questions...

No Royal Purple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's your thoughts about a few ounces of Lucas additive in the tranny ?

Someone in person was trying to convince me of adding it to my transmission,
I replied no thanks and I don't have any transmission problems right now, so why would I.

but in general, what would we think of adding some Lucas to the LS transmission ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back