Transmission harsh shift issues. Confirm my suspicions?

Lincoln LS

1. Birdshotbrad

Birdshotbrad New LVC Member

First off I'm aware there are threads on this issue, I think ive read them all. I'm merely looking for some sort of conformation on the problem I'm having.

Prepare your self for a lengthy story...

So I have a 2003 LS V8 Sport with 64500ish miles. I've owned this car for the better part of a year.

On my way to work without warning other then a slightly hard shift from park to drive since I've bought it the car began to shift from 2nd to 3rd extremely hard and also the 3rd to 4th shift would act like it was slipping.

When I first got this car home i replaced all 8 coils and plugs, valve cover gaskets, and dropped the trans pan and replaced the filter.

At that time I had also bought the trans solenoid pack knowing it was a common issue with these cars, I intended to install it but couldn't get the connector off at the time and skipped it.

Flash forward to today, with my current issues I thought for sure it was the pack. Replaced it, and nope. The same issues are there! Unchanged!

There's no metal on the magnet and no evidence of mechanical damage. I did the computer reset procedure and followed the trans fill instructions.

I'm leaning towards the pcm being the issue, so please if anyone can shed some light on this and help confirm it would be much appreciated.

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

In my case (symptoms were not exactly the same) the clutches were worn out. Anyway, if you can go without your LS for a week or two, sending the PCM for test/repair is probably the next lowest cost troubleshooting step you can take.

3. Birdshotbrad

Ok, thanks for the input and the quick response.

Compared to mine, what was different about the symptoms your car had? Perhaps I'm missing something.

4. joegr

It never felt like it was slipping to me. Floor it to merge on the interstate and it would chirp the tires when shifting.

5. Birdshotbrad

Yeah, I've never had that issue. I think I'll give the SIA PCM test/repair service a shot. Hopefully that will take care of it.

6. Birdshotbrad

So it was the computer causing the problems, shifts perfect now. Maybe the solenoids where part of the problem, could have took the computer out due to a short but who knows.
    Anyways, thought I'd post an update just in case someone else runs into the same issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • 06LS Greek

06LS Greek LVC Member

What was done specifically to the PCM to fix your rough trans shift issue? New PCM? New software flashed onto PCM?

• joegr

Usually, it's one or more of the FETs that drive the transmission solenoids that have to be replaced.

• 06LS Greek

06LS Greek LVC Member

Thanks... Do you recommend SIA Electronics for the diag and repair? Hopefully they can salvage the PCM's SW. The VIN matching and key programing can be a pain (need to transport the vehicle to a Ford/Lincoln dealer for a PCM SW flash) if they wipe the SW clean.

• joegr

SIA seems to be good, but I haven't used them (or anyone else for PCM repair).
      They won't alter the software. They will test your PCM and replace any defective parts they find.

Note that you can do PATS programming with Forscan, a Windows laptop, and a $20 adapter.