Transmission harsh shift issues. Confirm my suspicions?

Birdshotbrad

New LVC Member
Reaction score
First off I'm aware there are threads on this issue, I think ive read them all. I'm merely looking for some sort of conformation on the problem I'm having.

Prepare your self for a lengthy story...

So I have a 2003 LS V8 Sport with 64500ish miles. I've owned this car for the better part of a year.

On my way to work without warning other then a slightly hard shift from park to drive since I've bought it the car began to shift from 2nd to 3rd extremely hard and also the 3rd to 4th shift would act like it was slipping.

When I first got this car home i replaced all 8 coils and plugs, valve cover gaskets, and dropped the trans pan and replaced the filter.

At that time I had also bought the trans solenoid pack knowing it was a common issue with these cars, I intended to install it but couldn't get the connector off at the time and skipped it.

Flash forward to today, with my current issues I thought for sure it was the pack. Replaced it, and nope. The same issues are there! Unchanged!

There's no metal on the magnet and no evidence of mechanical damage. I did the computer reset procedure and followed the trans fill instructions.

I'm leaning towards the pcm being the issue, so please if anyone can shed some light on this and help confirm it would be much appreciated.

In my case (symptoms were not exactly the same) the clutches were worn out. Anyway, if you can go without your LS for a week or two, sending the PCM for test/repair is probably the next lowest cost troubleshooting step you can take.

Ok, thanks for the input and the quick response.

Compared to mine, what was different about the symptoms your car had? Perhaps I'm missing something.

It never felt like it was slipping to me. Floor it to merge on the interstate and it would chirp the tires when shifting.

Yeah, I've never had that issue. I think I'll give the SIA PCM test/repair service a shot. Hopefully that will take care of it.

So it was the computer causing the problems, shifts perfect now. Maybe the solenoids where part of the problem, could have took the computer out due to a short but who knows.
Anyways, thought I'd post an update just in case someone else runs into the same issue.

So it was the computer causing the problems, shifts perfect now. Maybe the solenoids where part of the problem, could have took the computer out due to a short but who knows.
Anyways, thought I'd post an update just in case someone else runs into the same issue.
What was done specifically to the PCM to fix your rough trans shift issue? New PCM? New software flashed onto PCM?

Usually, it's one or more of the FETs that drive the transmission solenoids that have to be replaced.

Thanks... Do you recommend SIA Electronics for the diag and repair? Hopefully they can salvage the PCM's SW. The VIN matching and key programing can be a pain (need to transport the vehicle to a Ford/Lincoln dealer for a PCM SW flash) if they wipe the SW clean.

SIA seems to be good, but I haven't used them (or anyone else for PCM repair).
They won't alter the software. They will test your PCM and replace any defective parts they find.

Note that you can do PATS programming with Forscan, a Windows laptop, and a $20 adapter.

So I've been having shifting issues as well. I want to get it resolved. I have hard forward/reverse engagement. No slamming between gears but sometimes I will get a little kick. Mostly it feels like someone driving a manual with no experience. I'm thinking of sending the PCM for diagnostics and repair. Before I do though I want to go over some things to rule out other possible causes. The original owner gave me his reciepts and one of them was for the transmission shifting issue. It looks like they changed the solenoid pack in their repair. I did remove the solenoid assembly, pull the bushings out and clean the holes and test the resistance to the solenoids. It didn't fix the issue. I have had a couple of days where the temp here was over 95 that the car shifted almost perfectly but not every time it was that hot.
The car runs a little rough on a cold start and them smooths out after warming up. I ran forscan and these are the results.
DTC ===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Powertrain Control Module
===END PCM===

===OBDII DTC ===

Module: On Board Diagnostic II
===END OBDII===

===DSM DTC ===

Module: Driver's Seat Module
===END DSM===

===DDM DTC ===

Module: Drivers Door Module
===END DDM===

===EATC DTC B1242===
Code: B1242 - Air Flow Recirculation Door driver circuit failure

Module: Electronic Automatic Temperature Control

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Air Flow Recirculation Door driver circuit failure

--- Possible Causes --------

This DTC is generated in Continuous mode. Remote Climate Control Module generates this DTC when the recirculation door driver 1 or driver 2 is shorted to ground. This DTC is also generated when driver 1 is shorted to driver 2.

-Suspect Recirculation Door Remote Climate Control Module

===END EATC===

===EATC DTC B1265===
Code: B1265 - Cold Air Bypass Divert Door driver circuit failure

Cold Air Bypass Divert Door driver circuit failure

===END EATC===

===MC DTC U1262===
Code: U1262 - SCP Data Link Fault

Module: Message Center

SCP Data Link Fault

Operator Action

Run self test.

All CMDTCs

Fix all relevant DTCs then clear codes and retest.

Note:

DTCs that start with 'U' are faults which occur during module-to-module communication.

Modules should never be replaced based only on a 'U' code. These codes do not always indicate a problem, and can be caused by normal diagnostic functions, carried out on the vehicle.

===END MC===

===MC DTC P0404===
Code: P0404 - EGR valve position control performance or range fault

===END MC===

===IC DTC U1041===
Code: U1041 - Vehicle Speed Data Invalid

Module: Instrument Cluster

SCP invalid or missing data for function read vehicle speed

===END IC===

===IC DTC B1875===
Code: B1875 - Turn Signal/Hazard Switch Signal circuit failure

Turn Signal/Hazard Switch Signal circuit failure

On-Demand DTC Entry Criteria; Right Turn Signal Switch, Left Turn Signal Switch, & Hazard Switch inactive
- Switch circuit in OFF position.

Circuit Failure; Switch circuit not OPEN.

Continuous DTC Entry Criteria; Right Turn Signal Switch, Left Turn Signal Switch, & Hazard Switch circuits are activated.

Circuit Failure; Right Turn Signal Switch, Left Turn Signal Switch, & Hazard Switch OUT-OF-RANGE.

-Suspect Turn Signal Switch Hazard Switch Steering Column/IP/Lighting Module

===END IC===

===IC DTC U1262===

SCP Data Link Fault

Operator Action

Run self test.

All CMDTCs

Note:

DTCs that start with 'U' are faults which occur during module-to-module communication.

Modules should never be replaced based only on a 'U' code. These codes do not always indicate a problem, and can be caused by normal diagnostic functions, carried out on the vehicle.

===END IC===

===GEM DTC B1794===
Code: B1794 - Open Power Circuit or Shorted Power Circuit

Module: Generic Electronic Module

Open Power Circuit or Shorted Power Circuit

===END GEM===

===GEM DTC B2312===
Code: B2312 - Passenger Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor circuit failure

Passenger Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor circuit failure

===END GEM===

===REM DTC B1201===
Code: B1201 - Fuel sender circuit failure

Module: Rear Electronic Module

Fuel sender circuit failure

This DTC can be generated by:

-Open Fuel Sender circuit.
-Battery short Fuel Sender circuit.

-Suspect Fuel Sender.

-Suspect Virtual Image Cluster.

===END REM===

===ABS DTC ===

Module: Antilock braking system
===END ABS===

===RCM DTC ===

Module: Restraint Control Module
===END RCM===

I have the 0404 code for a while now on and off in forscan ( mostly on) and I have tried removing and cleaning the egr valve before. I also looked at the fuel trims but forscan has so many that I'm not sure which ones to look at. Also some of the trims say obd so should I be in a closed loop for them? Any help would be appreciated. Please give practical advice and not throw part at it.

...I have the 0404 code for a while now on and off in forscan ( mostly on) and I have tried removing and cleaning the egr valve before. ...

Cleaning won't help. The plastic part of the EGR assembly cracks and causes this code. Replacement is the cure. Most (maybe all) aftermarket valves don't work correctly.

Ok joegr I ordered one up. I figured a new one was the answer. Think it is the cause of the cold start rough idle?

Update: Went through the sellers receipts and found that the egr is only two years old. I think the problem may be the small tubing or the fuel pressure sensor which broke on disassembly. I am going to put it back together with a new sensor and tubing and see what happens. If the code goes away I will send the egr back.

So now the 0404 code is gone and it runs much better than it did but...
CEL is now on.
Forscan results:

===PCM DTC P0193-FF===
Code: P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (FRP) circuit high input.

--Possible Causes--
- Shorted to VPWR or VREF FRP circuit.
- Damaged FRP sensor.
- High fuel pressure (caused by damaged fuel regulator).
- Damaged PCM.

Note: DTC P0193 indicates FRP sensor signal is greater than Self-test maximum.

===END PCM===

===OBDII DTC P0193-C===
Code: P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input

- Confirmed - malfunction is confirmed

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (FRP) circuit high input.

--Possible Causes--
- Shorted to VPWR or VREF FRP circuit.
- Damaged FRP sensor.
- High fuel pressure (caused by damaged fuel regulator).
- Damaged PCM.

Note: DTC P0193 indicates FRP sensor signal is greater than Self-test maximum.

===END OBDII===

===DSM DTC ===

Module: Driver's Seat Module
===END DSM===

===DDM DTC ===

Module: Drivers Door Module
===END DDM===

===EATC DTC B1262===
Code: B1262 - Defrost Vent Divert Door driver circuit failure

Defrost Vent Divert Door driver circuit failure

===END EATC===

===EATC DTC B1242===
Code: B1242 - Air Flow Recirculation Door driver circuit failure

Air Flow Recirculation Door driver circuit failure

This DTC is generated in Continuous mode. Remote Climate Control Module generates this DTC when the recirculation door driver 1 or driver 2 is shorted to ground. This DTC is also generated when driver 1 is shorted to driver 2.

-Suspect Recirculation Door Remote Climate Control Module

===END EATC===

===EATC DTC B1265===
Code: B1265 - Cold Air Bypass Divert Door driver circuit failure

Cold Air Bypass Divert Door driver circuit failure

===END EATC===

===MC DTC U1262===

SCP Data Link Fault

Operator Action

Run self test.

All CMDTCs

Note:

===END MC===

===IC DTC U1041===
Code: U1041 - Vehicle Speed Data Invalid

SCP invalid or missing data for function read vehicle speed

===END IC===

===IC DTC B1875===
Code: B1875 - Turn Signal/Hazard Switch Signal circuit failure

Turn Signal/Hazard Switch Signal circuit failure

On-Demand DTC Entry Criteria; Right Turn Signal Switch, Left Turn Signal Switch, & Hazard Switch inactive
- Switch circuit in OFF position.

Circuit Failure; Switch circuit not OPEN.

Continuous DTC Entry Criteria; Right Turn Signal Switch, Left Turn Signal Switch, & Hazard Switch circuits are activated.

Circuit Failure; Right Turn Signal Switch, Left Turn Signal Switch, & Hazard Switch OUT-OF-RANGE.

-Suspect Turn Signal Switch Hazard Switch Steering Column/IP/Lighting Module

===END IC===

===IC DTC U1262===

SCP Data Link Fault

Operator Action

Run self test.

All CMDTCs

Note:

===END IC===

===GEM DTC B2312===
Code: B2312 - Passenger Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor circuit failure

Passenger Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor circuit failure

===END GEM===

===REM DTC B1201===
Code: B1201 - Fuel sender circuit failure

Fuel sender circuit failure

This DTC can be generated by:

-Open Fuel Sender circuit.
-Battery short Fuel Sender circuit.

-Suspect Fuel Sender.

-Suspect Virtual Image Cluster.

===END REM===

===REM DTC P1641===
Code: P1641 - Fuel Pump Primary circuit failure

Fuel Pump Primary circuit failure

Open primary circuit.

Shorted primary circuit.

This DTC may be caused by :

Suspect PCM.

===END REM===

===ABS DTC ===

Module: Antilock braking system
===END ABS===

===RCM DTC ===

Module: Restraint Control Module
===END RCM===

The 193 code is for the sensor I just changed. Dashboard is showing 55-60 psi at idle. I wanted to check with a fuel gauge to verify this. Is there a schrader valve? If not then what is the easiest way to check?

I also pulled the connector from the fps and checked reference voltage key on engine off. It was 5 volts. Then I checked return to ground and also got 5 volts. I am pretty sure that is not right. Either I have a short or it is the pcm. Not enough time to look into it further right now.

Finally got back to this. As I stated before I had 5 volts at pins 1 and 3 on the fuel pressure sensor connector key on. I checked again and have the same. I checked the resistance from the pcm connector to the fuel pressure connector of each one and they were good. I also checked for a short between the two. When I checked the pcm with the connector removed at pin #49 I had 5 volts. At this point I believe pcm repair is in order. If this sounds wrong please chime in. Also any advice on what information to include with my pcm when I send it away is appreciated.

So I sent the PCM out to SIA for repair($125 on ebay). They rebuilt the transmission circuitry and now the car shifts fine.
They didn't find anything wrong internally for the P0193 code which is gone now. Intermittent short maybe, who knows.
I stated that the car ran rough on a cold start: All coil, injector tests operate normally. Suggest complete system flash. Is this something I can do?

Many thanks to all on this forum. Without you I would have never known how to fix this shifting problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back