Transmission Dying?

96hotrodlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So when cruising around 40-55mph, RPM's at around 1000-1200. If I ease into the pedal I get some surging until I let off the pedal. This is fourth gear by my count.

Sound familiar to anyone? Think I might be loosing 4th.

I had the same symptoms on my 98 last year and I was sure it was the tranny going. Felt like it was slipping but mostly in OD and under a slight load and low/moderate RPMs. I had it up at Jeremi's for some work, and on a hunch he suggested replacing the coils. Sure enough, several coils were cracked. Replaced the whole set and it's been fine since.

Granted you don't have COPs, but I would look into ignition (wires, coils) first.

I had the same symptoms on my 98 last year and I was sure it was the tranny going. Felt like it was slipping but mostly in OD and under a slight load and low/moderate RPMs. I had it up at Jeremi's for some work, and on a hunch he suggested replacing the coils. Sure enough, several coils were cracked. Replaced the whole set and it's been fine since.

Granted you don't have COPs, but I would look into ignition (wires, coils) first.

I do have COPs because this is on my 97, I do get a rough idle every now and then as well. Last week it idled rough for like a good 20 minutes and had a miss under load but then corrected itself. I just never got around to checking out the COPs.

I don't believe this to be the issue, I only notice the issue in fourth gear, nowhere else. Converter shutter should be noticeable no matter what gear you were in or so I believe. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Not true you only feel shudder when the converter is locking up. You feel shudder at speeds you mentioned. Just look it up. But it could be your COPs too I thought this post was for your 96 like your handle states. I bought my car with shudder, I did the fluid and fiter change and shudder was gone 100% in days. I was happy. PS the trans only locks up conveter in 4th I think. That makes 1 to 1 and no slip so better MPG.

Does it feel like your driving over rumble strips on highway? That kinda what the shudder feels like.

I don't believe this to be the issue, I only notice the issue in fourth gear, nowhere else. Converter shutter should be noticeable no matter what gear you were in or so I believe. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Converter shudder is usually noticed in the beginning with 4th gear. As time passes, depending on if the trans is being manually shifted or how it's treated, 3rd gear will start showing signs. You'll know things are getting bad when you come to a stop sign and it doesn't up shift into 1st on it's own. I think 37 mph is when the trans is commanded to lock up, depending on where your throttle is but once it's locked up, between 37 to 50 you'll probably feel shudder during a light load. Next time you feel the shudder, keep your foot on the gas pedal, press on the brake with the other foot, just enough to make the brake lights come on. This will make the converter unlock and the shudder should go away. Your question will then be answered.

Hey Guys, I joined just to say...

THANKS!

To the OP for asking the question, and to the Contributors for answering. (and of course to the forum owners and admins :D)

This thread just solved my problem(s), because my new Mk is doing the exact same thing... otherwise, it's perfect other than some blotches in the clearcoat from spending some years under a car cover. That saved the interior, tho... spotless.

I'll go do an "intro" thread and link to some pics of the car during today, and come back and post a link here, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again. :t

eta: Oh yeah, I said "problem(s)" because other than the trans. I have a problem with my wife. :)

I'm in the middle of a car trade, with me on the receiving end of a '94 Mk VIII, black w/ gray interior... I just brought it home Friday, and the other guy has my car to test for the weekend, but we haven't traded titles yet. I printed this thread, and with the solution to the trans. problem in hand, I can now convince my wife to let's go ahead with the trade. yeeeehaaaa

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll do some further testing and see what I can come up with. I'm already considering the flush and filter change once I have the money and time.

Members online

Back