Transmission curiosities.......

Mr. Sinister

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, so my 96 seems to like to shift really early. It will literally shift into OD at as low as 32mph with light throttle on a flat road, bogging the engine. It does this in every gear unless I give it more throttle than I really need to (like running it up to 3000-4000 rpm for the automatic shifts) in most circumstances. It will upshift, drop the rpms to 1000 (even 900 sometimes) and labor badly, then I'll have to give it a little kick to the throttle to get it to downshift to keep it moving. It does shift fine, no flares or herky-jerky stuff and it downshifts like it should, with a solid kick. The converter seems to be locking and unlocking as it should and the OD lockout works properly. Factory gear ratio as well, but I would like to add a set of 3.73's and a trac-loc soon. I serviced the trans when I bought the car at 30,000 miles, and just did it again at 36,000 while I was replacing a leaky trans pan gasket, but it's done this since I bought it.
A buddy of mine works at a Ford dealership and he mentioned something about a software reflash that could cure this. Is there anything like this that you guys are aware of? I was thinking maybe a faulty vehicle speed sensor as well.

Thanks!!

Nothing faulty about the operation. That's the way Ford programned it. If you want, you can just press the OD switch until you are not in traffic, then re-engage.

i do keep the OD off in traffic and winding backroads, but it doesn't help the 2-3 low rpm shift, which bogs the engine. i'm hoping a set of gears will help.

tapping the break unlocks the t/c too. mine sometimes locks too low on a back road at 3o mph and as i approach a hill i breathe on the brake pedal and the converter will unlock and give me 1600 rpms to get going without having to give it a whole bunch of gas to force an unlock/downshift
:shifty:
say what?
:shifty:

Yes you could always pay some extra bucks to have the shift points and line pressures reset on the computer, but I would not spend the money until you get your gears in. That way you can verify the drive ability of the program with the new setup.

good to know there's nothing wrong with it anyway. i think a set of gears, trac-lock and a chip/tune will be the way to go.

Members online

No members online now.
Back