Transmission Bellhousing Pattern

The V6 in the LS is a Duratec based motor with solid bucket cams so that has the standard duratec bellhousing pattern. The V8 is a totally different bellhousing pattern with a bolt like every 3 inches around the flywheel like double the amount of bolts on V8 block.

Thanks, train of thought--> Continental 32V 4.6L V8 has the Duratec bolt pattern->3.9L AJ-V8 has 32V->Gen 1 LS V8+Gen 1 LS V6 5R55N+Continental 32V 4.6L with all the sensors swapped over+custom tune=more performance friendly V8. Guess I'd have to get the trans beefed up and that SuperCoupe/MkVIII 8.8 IRS swap done too... dreaming dreaming dreaming...

Lentech makes a 5R55S swap to the 4R70W - still doesn't address the custom bellhousing - but ay least someone has done it.

McLaren also created its own, unique bellhousing arrangement to mate a Tremec six-speed manual transmission to the 3.9-liter. They worked with Trilogy International (Dearborn) for CAD-CAE assistance - so Trilogy may still have the plans.

Quik, from what has been said it looks like nothing special would be needed to bolt a Gen 1 V6 trans to the back of a Continental 32V 4.6L. Now unless I'm missing something the LS V8 controller would be able to run the LS V6 transmission of the same generation right? I'm proposing transfering all the sensors off of the 3.9L onto the 4.6L engines and since the Gen 1 has a cable throttle and fixed cams it would be far easier to adapt than the Gen 2 with the TbW and variable cams. I would then need someone to make a custom tune basically loading the stock tables for the Continental V8 into the computer. I'm in the middle of cross polenating one EMS to another engine right now and I am quite confident that its possible given enough effort, the question becomes when is it too much effort.

Just dreaming at this point because unbelievably I don't see any really cheap blown engine LS's in my area.

it's a good line of thought.

the kick will be in the details - small thing like cam position sensor counts, the LS uses the COPs, are the firing orders the same?,

but I think adapting the Gen1 PCM to a different motor is that most probable angle to a successful swap - without gutting and swapping everything.....

This does sound doable. But it would be more $$ then just finding a used LS motor and be done. You will need to buy the conti motor then buy the V6 trans then who knows how much work involved to make it run 100%. In 1 day you'll be running with used motor. I see them all the time on ebay for around 1000 bucks and less. Would be cool to pop hood of LS and see the 4.6 with cobra intake.

If I wanted a 3.9L or even maybe a 4.0L or 4.2L AJ-V8 it would be simple but so inside the box. People have been talking about putting a 4.6L in an LS for years and people keep asking. While I'm not sure puting a supercharged Cobra "Terminator" could be within the realm of adaptation of the AJ-V8 computer I would think a stock Continental V8 would be and then I could just brag about having the only one that worked.

If I wanted a 3.9L or even maybe a 4.0L or 4.2L AJ-V8 it would be simple but so inside the box. People have been talking about putting a 4.6L in an LS for years and people keep asking. While I'm not sure puting a supercharged Cobra "Terminator" could be within the realm of adaptation of the AJ-V8 computer I would think a stock Continental V8 would be and then I could just brag about having the only one that worked.

Cooling will be an issue. The One Lap of America LS had the 4.6L modular engine installed and (other than the myriad electrical issues the Lincoln engineers had) they had a ton of problems keeping the engine cool. IIRC, they had to do a lot of cutting and modification to keep it from overheating. I don't remember if they ever actually got the problem solved.

If some mounts for sensors and a custom radiator are what's needed... we'll see but for now unless a dead Gen 1 V8 LS pops up on craigslist or something near my house for cheap this is going to just be an exercise in mental problem solving. If I found the engines for cheap I might be tempted to try and do it on the stand alone but when was the last time you saw an LS or T-bird in the junkyard?

Well one has, $1800 for a 2000 with a dead engine. Salvage yards want around $750 for a Contenintal 4.6L and around the same for a V6 LS trans.... I don't have the money but I'd be willing to help out someone who wants to mess with this.... Or send me the money and I'll try it out.

Members online

Back