Trans solenoid pack question

MMAFIGHTER121

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've got that teardown guide ready, the new solenoid pack ready to order, it looks likeit can be done without dropping the transmission, has anyone completed this repair yet? One big question: how do you go about refilling the fluid ion the trans after? I know its a sealed unit.. I'd like to know before I go in there and replace the solenoid, then can't figure out how to fill the thing back up!

Ok, I've got that teardown guide ready, the new solenoid pack ready to order, it looks likeit can be done without dropping the transmission, has anyone completed this repair yet? One big question: how do you go about refilling the fluid ion the trans after? I know its a sealed unit.. I'd like to know before I go in there and replace the solenoid, then can't figure out how to fill the thing back up!

It's NOT a sealed unit. I did it but had access to a lift. It would have been quite the bugger laying on my back! You will need a pump to refill the transmission. There are instructions here, somewhere...

The little fill/level check plug uses a 1/8" NPT thread apparently as per Explorer Forums. The cost of a brass barb fitting is 10x less than the official adapter. I will verify this very soon.

The little fill/level check plug uses a 1/8" NPT thread apparently as per Explorer Forums. The cost of a brass barb fitting is 10x less than the official adapter. I will verify this very soon.

Yep, it's 1/8" NPT.

Is it really worth it to do the Solenoid?

I need to do mine and knowing its expensive and might not be the only thing wrong wouldnt it be easier to just get a rebuilt trans? You also have to have the dealer recalibrate it as well?

Is it really worth it to do the Solenoid?

I need to do mine and knowing its expensive and might not be the only thing wrong wouldnt it be easier to just get a rebuilt trans? You also have to have the dealer recalibrate it as well?
It is a $300 part versus at least $1500 on a rebuild, not to mention a lot more labor. If the symptoms point towards the issues being the solenoid block, I would say it is worth it.

Members online

Back