Trans HELP!

Missing Linc'

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright so! This mofukken weekend Im swapping in the TCI Streetfighter 3K.. I have the PDF files/walkthroughs that were linked in another thread about swapping the converter. I need to know how much fluid the trans takes and how do I fill er back up, I heard talk of some special fitting but where/how do I get one? Also Ive only done clutch swaps this is my first autotrans job and Im kinda nervous, any words of advice or anything would be great, I plan on taking the whole weekend which means Im patiently doing this. Also while Im at it do you think I should just invest in say the B&M trickshift fluid/Royal Purple(if they make it) or just go regular? Im also gonna box in my heatshield for my intake too so hopefully come monday or whenever its done Ill have some good reporting to do. Hope someone on here can help, thanks!

Me too! Can't wait to hear how it performs after. Make sure to take pics. It'd be nice to see the process.

Make sure you have lots of crazy extensions to reach the top bolts on the bell housing. And of course, remember anything that needs to be disassembled inside the cabin to allow the trans to drop.

I was going to post the fluid amount from my shop manual, but I don't have a gen 2, so I don't know how much fluid for refilling. sorry.

Well since its an auto I just unhook the cables for the shifter correct? Its not a top fed like most manuals or anything from my understanding..

I've never dug into it either. I was just saying to make sure is all... It would suck to drop the trans and mess up the shifter.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's never assume anything if it has a Lincoln badge.

Well, if I break the shifter in any way shape or form, Im just gonna get this from TCI as well(since I saved an a$$load from doing this myself) and see if I can get it to compliment my interior haha

tciratchet.jpg

2nd gen auto trans dry capacity: 11.2L/11.9 quarts.

Keep us updated.

Well since there isnt a dip stick for the trans I plan on draining it all, or as much as I can atleast..

Keep us udated man !! where r u located ? My dad is a general race cars mechanic currently working as a auto tranny speciallist. He may have some tips or things to be carefull with.
I'll talk to him in like 20 minutes as Im going to the garage to clean up my airbox and put in the replacement K&N I got last night :wrench

Connecticut right now, trying to get my sh!t together to move to my house in Sebring FL

Auto tranny drop is just like a manual tranny drop, there are just a few extra wires to disconnect and thats it.

If I remember correctly >.> At least for a 95 explorer thats it.

SECTION 307-01: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission — 5R55S 2004 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
REMOVAL Procedure revision date: 05/27/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission Printable View (592 KB)
WARNING: Secure the transmission to the transmission jack with a safety chain. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.

NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms can occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The customer needs to be notified that they can experience slightly different upshifts either (soft or firm) and that this is a temporary condition and will eventually return to normal operating condition.

NOTE: If transmission disassembly or installation of a new transmission is necessary, drain the transmission fluid. Install the drain plug when finished.

NOTE: If the transmission is to be removed for an extended period of time, support the engine with a safety stand and a wood block.

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-00.
Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-00.
Remove the complete exhaust system and front heat shields. For additional information, refer to Section 309-00.
Remove the parts in order indicated in the following illustration and table.

Item Part Number Description
1 W701357-S309 Output shaft flange coupler
Removal Note
2 4817 Driveshaft
Removal Note
3 7000 Transmission assembly
Removal Note
4 9F472 Heated oxygen sensor electrical connector
Removal Note
5 9F472 Heated oxygen sensor electrical connector retainer
Removal Note
6 W705966-S426 Transmission support center screw
7 W704971-S426 Transmission support outer screws
8 6A023 Transmission support
9 7E395 Cable retainer
Removal Note
10 7E395 Transmission selector lever cable eyelet
11 — Wire harness retainer
Removal Note
12 7B229 Transmission selector lever cable screws and bracket
13 14A464 Speed sensor connector
14 7C078 Solenoid body harness electrical connector
Removal Note
15 14A464 Wire harness retainers
Removal Note
16 14A646 Transmission range TR sensor electrical connector
Removal Note
17 7A030 Fluid cooler tube bracket
Removal Note
18 7A030 Fluid cooler tube nuts
Removal Note
19 6C070 Torque converter access cover
20 W705443-S Torque converter nuts
21 W500128-S Bell housing screws
22 7000 Transmission assembly
Removal Note

Item 1: Output Shaft Flange Coupler Removal Note

CAUTION: Index-mark (color paint) the bolts, washers, nuts and the flex coupling to the transmission flange to make sure they are installed in the same location. Components that are not assembled in their original locations can cause driveshaft imbalance.

CAUTION: Do not remove the bolts retaining the flex coupling to the driveshaft.

Index-mark the front driveshaft pinion flange. Remove the three nuts, washers and bolts.

Item 2: Driveshaft Removal Note

Slide the front shaft assembly rearward and support.

Item 3: Transmission Assembly Removal Note

WARNING: Secure the transmission to the transmission jack with a safety chain. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

Using a suitable transmission jack, support the transmission.
Item 4: Heated Oxygen Sensor Electrical Connector Removal Note

Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor connector and remove the sensor wire retaining clip from the right side of the transmission pan rail.

Item 5: Heated Oxygen Sensor Electrical Connector Retainer Removal Note

Remove the heated oxygen sensor connector from the front of the transmission pan rail.

Item 9: Cable Retainer Removal Note

Disconnect the shift cable retainer

Item 11: Wire Harness Retainer Removal Note

Disconnect the wire harness from the top of the transmission shift cable bracket.

Item 14: Solenoid Body Harness Electrical Connector Removal Note

NOTE: Clean the area around connector to prevent contamination of the solenoid body connector.

Remove the screw from the solenoid body connector and disconnect the connector.

Item 15: Wire Harness Retainers Removal Note

Disconnect the wire harness retainers.

Item 16: Transmission Range TR Sensor Electrical Connector Removal Note

Remove and discard the tie strap from the digital TR sensor connector boot.

Slide the rubber boot back and disconnect the digital TR sensor connector.

Item 17: Fluid Cooler Tube Bracket Removal Note

Remove the screws and pushpins, then remove the splash shield.

Disconnect the wire harness from the cooler line bracket.

Disconnect the transmission cooler line bracket.

Item 18: Fluid Cooler Tube Nuts Removal Note

CAUTION: Do not damage the cooler tubes. Hold the transmission case fittings with a wrench.

Disconnect the transmission cooler tubes.

Item 22: Transmission Assembly Removal Note

Carefully lower the transmission from the vehicle. Make sure the transmission fluid cooler and cooler lines are cleaned at this time.
Carry out the transmission fluid cooler — backflushing and cleaning if the transmission is being overhauled or installing a new or remanufactured transmission. For additional information, refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Backflushing and Cleaning in this section.

sorry I couldnt get the illustrations to load but this is directly from ford

Holy crap, 6 posts and that was one of them?? You might be the best newbie yet! Hahahha Thanks man, I got the PDF's bookmarked on my laptop.

The fluid is Mercon 5. About quantity, u have to remove a little allen screw it has on the
Bottom of the core with the engine runing and it has to slightly leak from there if it has the right amount
of fluid.
my 2 cents.

Alright well how do I add fluid once everything is bolted back together?

on my gen 2, i didnt do the fluid change i just had my uncle do it in his shop while he was changing all my other fluids but its filled from the bottom up, he put it in a bucket that had a compressed lid and hose running up to a spout the fit right to a small port in the bottom of it and he pumped up into it, so hopefully thats helps your last post.

Missin Linc', you're in Vernon CT? I work in Vernon, right off Bolton Road near Ron-A-Roll. When are you planning on doing this? If you need a hand, I'm down.

i just did mine.... its simple to add the fluid though.

removing the transmission is a pain in the butt, just accessing the 16 bolts will give you a headache! I had 7 extensions attached to eachother to give me th bend i needed to access them correctly. It took some creative thinking to make that work. I suggest you watch videos on youtube about installing a torque converer, you need to make sure the flat sides, and the splines all line up or you'll crush your converter.

You really should follow the removal directions from the PDF.... it helped me TONS

Removal

Installation

ok.... i picked up a pump from harbor freight for 5 bucks. locate the fill screw on the rear of the transmission. I forget the size but its an allen wrench that i used. I put some fluid in the torque converter through the opening in the middle, i only put in a half quart. I was told it wasn't needed, but it wouldn't hurt anything. Once the trans was bolted and ALL pieces were checked, then i added 4 quarts through the back. Let the car run to idle temperature, shift through the gears. Then add 2 quarts and do the same. Allow the fluid to catch up to the temperature as the rest, then add 1 quart at a time, slowly till you see it drip out of the center.

Seal everything up... check the torque on the drain bolt which is in the center. If you are tidy with no leaks then take her around the block. My mechanic recommended to drive a hundred miles and then check the fluid again to make sure your set.

So far my car has been running great! Good luck. The trans is a challenge. you will need all weekend and some help.

pics pics pics!!!

Missin Linc', you're in Vernon CT? I work in Vernon, right off Bolton Road near Ron-A-Roll. When are you planning on doing this? If you need a hand, I'm down.

No :q:q:q:q man! Give me a call when your around and Ill swing by, 931 436 4575 (Baron)

Its getting done this weekend at my boys place in newington, he has a garage and I dont hahh, plus I just built his engine for him so he owes me..

Members online

No members online now.
Back