Trans Cooler.

StraDog

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, which is the best trans cooler for the best price. I hear of you guys talking about them every now and then, and its come time to install one along with the new radiator.

Which company, type, and part number...

Which ones do you guys prefer/use ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time. :Beer

Jon.

Hmm... No Help Yet ?

I'm looking for one to mount right along the radiator. I have seen it done so I know it is possible. I would like to know the best size for it in that location and which company/part# to go with.

Summit Racing - B&M SuperCooler - 24,000 GVW rating if I remember correctly.

StraDog said:
Hmm... No Help Yet ?

I'm looking for one to mount right along the radiator. I have seen it done so I know it is possible. I would like to know the best size for it in that location and which company/part# to go with.

I always run the 2001 Powerstroke diesel unit. Amazing cooling charicteristics.

newcooler2.jpg

newcooler3.jpg

Geno, I can't say for sure but that looks just like the one we used on my buddy's Mustang. It was for a 2005 F-150. It worked out fine!! Stra, you're not gonna go wrong with either. The factory ones take the guess work out cause you know that the drivetrain in a F-150 isn't a far cry from yours. If I can handle that truck, it can handle your Mark too. I could be wrong but the spec of it all but, I know the '05 F-150 cooler is working fine for the Mustang.

ONEBADMK8 said:
I always run the 2001 Powerstroke diesel unit. Amazing cooling charicteristics.
If I remember correctly Geno, I think you put that on Walt's car (waybe wrong car) and you guys found TOO much cooling with that unit.

I bought the same one, installed it on the Mark but never hooked up the plumbing. I did, however pull it and dropped it on my Expedition and pulled 7500 lbs 3000 miles and the guage didn't budge an inch, even climbing over Chattanooga. But, it was winter, 30 degrees or so. The real test will be this summer going out to the Badlands for a little R&R and towing the toy along in 90 degree temps.

But the Powerstroke unit does fit pretty nice in front of the AC as shown in geno's pic.

So how do I go about ordering one of these for the 01' Powerstroke ?

I am going to have my parts guy order it, he gets hella discounts. So in which direction should I direct him to ? Straight through Ford ? or another co...

So Jon, you replaced the trans and still had NO trans cooler ?

If I were you, I'd get the 40k cooler with an external thermostat and say good bye to overheated fluid. No setup will keep it always around 160 deg like this one.

StraDog said:
So how do I go about ordering one of these for the 01' Powerstroke ?

I am going to have my parts guy order it, he gets hella discounts. So in which direction should I direct him to ? Straight through Ford ? or another co...
I'm sure Geno can get you one. I think I got mine from Max. Bolts up real nice.

ModPWR said:
So Jon, you replaced the trans and still had NO trans cooler ?

If I were you, I'd get the 40k cooler with an external thermostat and say good bye to overheated fluid. No setup will keep it always around 160 deg like this one.

I would definently love on of those, but the cost scares me a bit. Aren't they around $100-150 ? I would definently love to get my hands on one, but I think this Powerstroke one will do just fine.

Geno, could you get me a part number on this product. My guy is going to order it. Also, I have one of your adjustable fuel pressure regulators and I'm getting the 255 walbro and the afrp put in next week as well as the radiator and Tranny cooler. I do not have a FP gauge yet, can they just use a regular pressure gauge to adjust the pressure? Which is a good pressure to go to with, I hear around 40... I want to be safe.

I'm pondering on whether I want to just use the reg gauge that hooks up to the shraeder valve, or do a little custom work and place it on the outside of the cowl, similar to I think what you have. I'm leaning more on the custom side.

So any information you guys have on the fuel pressure questions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Also, Jeremi... I STALL soo much at doing things... I had this damn fuel pump and regulator for like 7 months. LOL Can't wait to have em put in.

StraDog said:
I would definently love on of those, but the cost scares me a bit. Aren't they around $100-150 ? I would definently love to get my hands on one, but I think this Powerstroke one will do just fine.

Geno, could you get me a part number on this product. My guy is going to order it. Also, I have one of your adjustable fuel pressure regulators and I'm getting the 255 walbro and the afrp put in next week as well as the radiator and Tranny cooler. I do not have a FP gauge yet, can they just use a regular pressure gauge to adjust the pressure? Which is a good pressure to go to with, I hear around 40... I want to be safe.

I'm pondering on whether I want to just use the reg gauge that hooks up to the shraeder valve, or do a little custom work and place it on the outside of the cowl, similar to I think what you have. I'm leaning more on the custom side.

So any information you guys have on the fuel pressure questions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Also, Jeremi... I STALL soo much at doing things... I had this damn fuel pump and regulator for like 7 months. LOL Can't wait to have em put in.

You get what you pay for. I can get them or Max. I run 40psi in the hunidity and when the air is clean I run 50psi. I run a gauge on my schrader valve.

Do you, by any chance, have a part number available, I'm going to have my buddy order it for me and I believe he deals through Ford as well.

Ok I got the part number today. How much can you get them for ? The guy at the dealership wanted too much. I might just give Maxx a call tomorrow.

Also, is it a good size ? I can't really tell from the pic but I would guess it is.

Geno or Bryan...

I just found this thread b/c I'm considering doing a tranny cooler. I pulled the plastic cover off today and looked under there. Am I right in assuming that I'm gonna have to pull of the whole front end to get a tranny cooler in there?

Some guys are going with this...
4739.jpg

Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler with external thermal bypass
Tru-Cool # LPD4739, 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4
Includes external thermal bypass for cold climates!
BulkPart Website

I'm thinking of this one or the F-150 unit from Ford to upgrade my transmission cooler since the stall converter.

fossten said:
Uhhhh...still no help, nobody actually answered my question...

BUMP

Hey, you asked for Geno or Bryan! :N

I just found this thread b/c I'm considering doing a tranny cooler. I pulled the plastic cover off today and looked under there. Am I right in assuming that I'm gonna have to pull of the whole front end to get a tranny cooler in there?

I put in the B&M cooler without pulling the bumper cover. I suspect if you were to put in any of the larger units, it would be a huge plus to pull the bumper cover off. :wrench

Fossten,

The cooler drops right in front of the AC compressor. I think you have to move the Outside air temp sensor and the VCRM (6" black box with ridges in it). Fits snugly. Takes a good hour or so to do. You do want to get some nice rubber bushings to put between the cooler bracket and the front clip brace. Look at Geno's picture closely and you should see how it fits.

It does down on its edge and then turn it sidways to clear the hood latch.

I don't have any pics on this computer any more. Sorry.

driller said:
Hey, you asked for Geno or Bryan! :N

I put in the B&M cooler without pulling the bumper cover. I suspect if you were to put in any of the larger units, it would be a huge plus to pull the bumper cover off. :wrench

Heh heh, sorry...:slam

thanks for the help...

Thanks Bryan...

Last question...

How do I know which line is for the tranny cooler and which one is for the radiator?

Members online

No members online now.
Back