Top speed

yamaharollinhard

LVC Member
Reaction score
alright, here is what i need. what is the very top speed of a mark 7. it has a 5.0ho, aod with standard gears, 3.08s out back, and the tires are p225/75r15. i have been trying to do the math myself, but i keep getting diffrent answers. i tried edelbrock mag, but those are telling me that the car can do 103 in 2nd gear doing 4000rpm. i dont beleave that for a second. i know that the fule pump wont let the car go over 120, but think of it as it only had a rev limiter. what would it do at 6500rpm in 4th with those gears.

here is what i have been getting so far. let me know what you think

all @ 4000 rpm

1st 38.99
2nd 77.28
3rd 107.22
4th 160.03

1st 39.35
2nd 77.3
3rd 108.43
4th 161.5

Edelbrock

1st 52.52
2nd 103.17
3rd 144.44
4th 215.58

Speed limiting is calculated from the ABS sensors....can't get around that without changing wheel diameter or a different EEC. Governed to 116MPH with stock tires.

Hey I have a 1992 Mark 7 LSC and Im pretty sure it will go 135-140 it would go faster but it keeps shifting down in drive when the peddle is to the floor going that fast. I dont know why your guys car wont go that fast.

:L

So where is this world? Are you running in a vacuum? Do you have some sort of new energy bubble that helps you avoid the effects of drag, wind resistance, and gravity? Do we have any idea how much HORSE POWER it takes to push a car to 150 mph.

Even more important than the reality of physics is this "theoretical fire breathing beast" equipped for this endeavor. At that kind of speed can you avoid trouble, will the brakes stay or give because of heat.

Do your home work. Build it strong and safe.

Quasimoto

:I A bone stock mark VII CANNOT do 135, probably not even 125, but I had my '90 right at 120 mph. That was really pushing it!!! Even with a higher geared rear-end like a 2.73 I dont think it would go that fast.

Quasimoto said:
So where is this world? Are you running in a vacuum? Do you have some sort of new energy bubble that helps you avoid the effects of drag, wind resistance, and gravity? Do we have any idea how much HORSE POWER it takes to push a car to 150 mph.

Now now ... play nice.

I know this guy that did the quarter (mile) in 12.08@110 in a HIGHLY MODIFIED Mark VII. I think if DISNEY was given about 100 more feet of track, ~he~ could bust a 130-150 groove. Stock Mark VIIs where built as luxury sporting coupes. Something in the amount of fuel flow and cam size and air intake restrictions and exhaust restrictions that make us max out before 120.

But those 120 mph speedos in our cars really look sharp! Here's a few pictures of me doing something like 160!!

oldschool1at112mph1.jpg

oldschool1at112mph2.jpg

oldschool1at112mph3.jpg

oldschool1at112mph4.jpg

oldschool1at112mph5.jpg

oldschool1at112mph6.jpg

Um. I hope everyone knows that this is a joke.

Thats funny -- So fast the instrument panel is just a blur -- I want to know what interstate you were on while cruising 160
so I can see the destruction on the 5PM news as the engine
comes out through the hood ---
Unless you get a non-street legal "chip " for the EEC
no stock Mark is doing 145 -- Think of the fun the ambulance
chaser lawyers would have with this one --

I took those pictures like a year or two ago because of a similar discussion I had with a gentleman that changed his gears. It seemed that after changing gears, he could bury his 120 speedo easily. Someone pointed out the changes in ratio and the fact that the speedo was connected ~before~ the transaxle and was reading speed based on engine (transmission) movement and not trap or ground speed.

Wanna know how fast you're topping out at?

Fly by the troopers in Pennsylvania. They'll tell you. They'll even write it down for you.
:)

I would like to see how fast that car is going. Obviously the speedometer only goes to 120. But can't you reset the average speed while you are going faster than the speedometer and it will show you how fast you are going. For example in an earlier Mark VII with an 85 mph speedo, you can do that. Not sure if it will work above 120, does anyone know for sure?

It will work above 120. I've pegged the 85 MPH speedo before. I estimate the top speed of the Mark VII to be about 130-135 due to aerodynamic drag and power. A Police Interceptor Vic can do 130-135 depending on whether or not it has the light bar so this is a safe estimate. All Mark VIIs came with a speed limiter built into the computer. Unless you've swapped it out with a manual Mustang computer, had a chip burned, and/or added a lot of power, you won't see 150, not even on a really good day.

The AOD is designed to go into D at WOT to save your OD band. Unless you have an A+ servo, heavy duty OD band, and a good shift kit from a place like Baumann Engineering, I wouldn't try to make a stock AOD hold OD under severe load, not unless you want a new tranny.

new to this site and fast as hell

I am new to this site but not new to Mark VII's, You could car me a Mark VII veteren considering i have owned 4 of them. I know a stock mark VII will barly do 110 but my Mark is far from stock. I have a heavely modified 1990 LSC Mark VII and it does 120 without much effort at all . I have had it pegged at 120 and the car showed no sign of lag or deceleration after being beyond 120 for at least 6 seconds at only 4800rpm. The only reason I stoped was the fear for my life. I know all you nay sayers are saying that its not possible or im full of it but I think it was up near 145 or greater. My car has no limiting factors such as fuel or anything else other then drag. I have a 255lph fuel pump with 24lb injectors, mass airflow conversion with mustang computer, 73mm mass airmeter and 70mm throttle body, cold air intake, ford racing E-camshaft, ported and polished heads, machined out the stock upper intake. under drive pullies, electric cooling fan 2.5'' exuast with no cats race H-pipe and flowmaster mufflers, lowered coil suspension with mustang struts and shocks, MSD 6al control box and distributer, Tp sensor Throttle response enhancer, high volume oil pump, and a steeda adjustable idle bypass...... WHEW im tired after saying all that and i know I forgot someting lol. This car is purely for speed and it destroys everything else I have raced since i rebuilt her engine last year and modified her. Cameros, firebirds, street racers I have beat them and beleive me they couldent believe it. Well if anybody has any questions drop me a e-mail at mark7vip@yahoo.com and check out pics of my car at cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/683833 mark7predator

JON with Mark7predator

MarkVIIpredator said:
I have a 255lph fuel pump with 24lb injectors, mass airflow conversion with mustang computer, 73mm mass airmeter and 70mm throttle body, cold air intake, ford racing E-camshaft, ported and polished heads, machined out the stock upper intake. under drive pullies, electric cooling fan 2.5'' exuast with no cats race H-pipe and flowmaster mufflers, lowered coil suspension with mustang struts and shocks, MSD 6al control box and distributer, Tp sensor Throttle response enhancer, high volume oil pump, and a steeda adjustable idle bypass......
Welcome.

Reread my post.

"I know this guy that did the quarter (mile) in 12.08@110 in a HIGHLY MODIFIED Mark VII. I think if DISNEY was given about 100 more feet of track, ~he~ could bust a 130-150 groove. Stock Mark VIIs where built as luxury sporting coupes. Something in the amount of fuel flow and cam size and air intake restrictions and exhaust restrictions that make us max out before 120."

OldSchool1 said:
Welcome.

Reread my post.

"I know this guy that did the quarter (mile) in 12.08@110 in a HIGHLY MODIFIED Mark VII. I think if DISNEY was given about 100 more feet of track, ~he~ could bust a 130-150 groove. Stock Mark VIIs where built as luxury sporting coupes. Something in the amount of fuel flow and cam size and air intake restrictions and exhaust restrictions that make us max out before 120."

My 85 Mark VII kept saying 85 mph no matter how fast she was going LOL

mespock said:
My 85 Mark VII kept saying 85 mph no matter how fast she was going LOL
hehehehe
Digital dashes!
"But officer! I couldn't have been doing more than 85 because my speedometer says so!"
In 1986 we got analogs in our Mark VII LSCs ad people (like Nick "ND4SPDLSC") started burying the needle until it pointed to the steering collumn. I know this because I've done the same thing.

Modified Marks can do reMarkable things.

Stock Marks can do reMarkable things ... within their designed and documented and tested and factory tuned limits.

Our 13 to 21 year old guages lie lie lie.

The lowest factory gear for a Mark was the 2.73 in the 1985 diesel and the 3.07 in the 1984-1985 Bill Blass.

Take it to the track and do the math from there.

OldSchool1 said:
hehehehe
In 1986 we got analogs in our Mark VII LSCs ad people (like Nick "ND4SPDLSC") started burying the needle until it pointed to the steering collumn. I know this because I've done the same thing.

LMAO, I have done this several times in my '89 Grand Marquis!!! The needle went into the tripometer!

Black87LSC said:
LMAO, I have done this several times in my '89 Grand Marquis!!! The needle went into the tripometer!
Exactly!
But ... being the testosterone laden beings that we guys are, we want to believe ~something~ ... ANYTHING that says, 'we fast, we big, we bad' so we look at an 80 mph guage that's 16 years old and pointing south and say, "I gotta be doing at least 160!!!"

Again guys, it's cool.

If you REALLY wanna see your speed, get one of these:

See: http://www.lscclub.org/temp/20041119

Topping out a 120 mph speedo that has been recalibrated at a Ford dealership recently is just a bit harder then topping out a 16 year 80 mph speedo isn't it? :L I'm not making any spectacular claim on my top speed other then it was pegged at 120 and still accelerating. As for getting a timeslip I'll be getting one as soon as the weather clears up here in Michigan and I can lay down a couple good runs. I'm thinking I will be laying down low 15's to high 14's with my car around 90-100 mph. :steering

Jon / MarkVIIpredator :cool:

my mark is compleatly stock other than the redneck intake and a race trans, and i just got clocked in doing 120 compleatly stock with 3.08s. that was in 3rd gear.

I got to 130 with my old '89 with plenty of petal left in low 4ks. Once again with stock ride height/suspension and bad tires I went far too fast at that point.

If you got the balls I see 150 being attainable nevermind with a little work done and car lowered.

-TtC

Members online

Back