Top Speed

KD00LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had my baby up to 142 in 4th gear, around 1000 rpms or more away from redline, if it wasn't electonically limited, what do you think it could hit if we could max out 5th gear?

I don't think you will get much more. In fact, with the o.d. ratio in 5th, you may get less as the power requirements will fall short under the wind resistance restrictions.

It's not limited - the later model years (02+) had a 133mph limiter paced on them. The non-sport models also have a limiter on them due to the 'H'-rated tires.

I go to the 'top speed' shoot out each year and your 142-ish is about right. I lowered and added a front splitter - got to 147 one year

even though you don't hit the redline you haven't got any more power to pull.

Quik, do you mean the non sports are limited by computer to keep the tires under the max tire speed, or the tires just aren't meant to move much faster then 131.

SurfjaxLS said:
Quik, do you mean the non sports are limited by computer to keep the tires under the max tire speed, or the tires just aren't meant to move much faster then 131.
they were limited by the PCM - since they were sold with H-rated tires. It the law that you must sell the car with the tire rating it's capable of going. It is also illegal for a tire shop to replace your tires with a different rating - unless they are considered 'seasonal' - like winter tires.

the SCT flasher (about the sixth post down this thread -> http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=3570&highlight=Torrie ) can remove the limiter....

I assume these 140 range top speeds are for v8's ....how about v6 with a manual....any experiences???
thanks Don

I've have got up to 133-5 MPH on a short 2 mile highway. I was at about 5000 RPM in 4th and then had to brake becuase I was on the exit and it too was short.

Members online

No members online now.
Back