Tips ~ $60
Exhaust Work ~ $360
3.73 Gears/Spyders ~ $250
Gear Work ~ $250
Eagle Alloy's ~ $550
Essenza Tires ~ $350
Basic Wear ~ $700

Total ~ $7,745.00

I think this is all. Some prices may be off. I guessed on a few since it has been sometime now. Im sure basic wear is above $700. Coz I had it into the shop about three times for the brakes. I think before I hit 10K I will have the car where I want it. Now go buy your new car that is 20K-30K+ and not have a car you actullay want. Hahaha

I would call LMS --- geno might just give you a discount somewhere in there and lower the prices --

i forgot to add shipping! $10 for all items except some were $15! Like Mufflers, headers, Gears, etc. And $20 each for the wheels and tires. Shipping kills. Wish I had a performance store here!

Finding a car you love and making it better is far better than IMHO than plopping down $500 per month for a compromise at best. Plus it's a lot more fun!

I look at my Mark VIII as my 'new' car. It's still a work in progress however. One thing you may have left off the list is a paint job. My '93 is due for one in a year or two, particularly the front end.

I need the whole car painted. I havn't painted it, thats why its not on the list. only things on the list, is things I have. I still got heads, cam, 5-speed swap, paint job, as the main things left to do.

There are alternatives..

I thought about the "build my car my way" thingie after I sold my 1997 Mark VIII LSC (heavily modded). But after shopping around quite a bit, there are alternatives. At the top of my list right now is a 2000 Jaguar XJR. 370HP stock, 380TQ stock, 0-60 in 5.4 seconds stock, 13.5 in the 1.4 mile stock. And as reliable as my Mark was. All this for $25,000 CDN. (about $18,000 USD). For $600, the blower gets ported and add pulleys, and I'm at 425HP. Now $18,000 is alot more than the $10,000 you're talking about, but that $10,000 car will never be as quiet, comfortable or luxurious than the XJR. And saying "I drive the Jag" feels alot better than saying "I drive that clapped out (insert brand here) that I only have $10,000 invested in". If you have a few more bucks, you buy a Mercedes E55. 13.2's in the 1/4 mile stock, and all the luxury you'd ever need. Fixing up cars is alot of fun (I've done lots, including a 10 second stock block Mustang), but the next one I buy, won't need much tweaking at all.

RRocket; Now $18,000 is alot more than the $10,000 you're talking about, but that $10,000 car will never be as quiet, comfortable or luxurious than the XJR.

1) Lincoln = Luxury
2) Flowmaster are not quiet
3) Being Loud and Proud!
4) Your 8K Over
5) 8K = Supercharger or New Motor!
6) ETC.

Lincoln=Luxury? No...Lincoln=Mediocre Attempt at Luxury. Jump in a Jag or a Lexus, then you'll know what luxury is. Real wood, Conelly leather and wool carpet in ther Jag. Supple, creamy leather, wood, control dials like they are on ball-bearings, no space between trim, and dead, dead quiet in the Lexus. Lincoln has a LOOOOOONG way to go until I will consider it true luxury. I liked my 1997 ALOT...but I was living a lie until I drove some TRUE luxury cars..

RRocket said:
Lincoln=Luxury? No...Lincoln=Mediocre Attempt at Luxury. Jump in a Jag or a Lexus, then you'll know what luxury is. Real wood, Conelly leather and wool carpet in ther Jag. Supple, creamy leather, wood, control dials like they are on ball-bearings, no space between trim, and dead, dead quiet in the Lexus. Lincoln has a LOOOOOONG way to go until I will consider it true luxury. I liked my 1997 ALOT...but I was living a lie until I drove some TRUE luxury cars..

Sounds like the 97 base model, I got real wood.... blah blah blah
My Caddy does ride better than my Lincoln though.

No...Mine was a 1997 LSC. Don't get me wrong..the Lincoln was good. Just not in the same league as other luxury cars. Caddy needs help to. Recently rented a 2004 DTS for a road trip....and it was just "ok".

RRocket said:
... Recently rented a 2004 DTS for a road trip....and it was just "ok".

I know the feeling. I have tried countless cars since I bought my Mark VIII and seem to come away with that 'just ok' feeling. I think you tend to 'raise the bar' as you progress through a life of owning different vehicles.

Driller,

YES!! That's the feeling entirely. My best friend bought my Mark VIII, and I warned him that he would never be able to drive a "cheap" car again after being spoiled by the Mark. So far the only cars I'm finding that can do what the Mark did are all foreign, which I don't have a problem with. But to be honest, I was SHOCKED at just how good the Lexus cars were. I thought they were a step up, but they are REALLY a step up. It is one of the few cars that has surpassed my expectations. The domestic makers should try their best to steal some of the best and brightest from Lexus, then at least they'll have a chance...

RRocket said:
Driller,

YES!! That's the feeling entirely. My best friend bought my Mark VIII, and I warned him that he would never be able to drive a "cheap" car again after being spoiled by the Mark. So far the only cars I'm finding that can do what the Mark did are all foreign, which I don't have a problem with. But to be honest, I was SHOCKED at just how good the Lexus cars were. I thought they were a step up, but they are REALLY a step up. It is one of the few cars that has surpassed my expectations. The domestic makers should try their best to steal some of the best and brightest from Lexus, then at least they'll have a chance...

I'm afraid I am in that category as well. Since buying my Mark VIII last year, I look at auto's differently now. It used to be about practicability, then looks, then power. But I'm through with cheap interiors, rough riding, and few options. Of course my next auto purchase will be used, but luxury used.

With your glowing review of Lexus, are you leaning towards one for your next vehicle?

Case in point... the wife was all gaga over the new Chrysler 300, and after hearing about it long enough, I agreed to go for a test ride. Convinced the V8-RWD would win me over she graciously allowed me to drive(LOL!). I forewarned the salesman it would be a tough sell and I was not all that crazy about the exterior but I liked the interior however the test ride would tell the tale. I think he too was convinced it would win me over, as he instructed me to take a route that included some highway driving as well as city.

Long before I returned I had reached the conclusion. It was 'OK', politely it was 'nice'. But in actuality there simply was no "Wow! I got to have this car!". Zip. Nada. Zilch. No emotion.

I don't know about you, but for $36K, I'd like a little 'wow', please! I'm not necessarily saying it has to be luxury, heck nearly everyone would expect a Jaguar to be step up from a Lincoln. I'm not absolutely sure it's performance, after all there's a lot of 'faster' cars compared to a Mark VIII. But I think RRocket would agree, the Mark VIII has a certain combination of qualities rare in the automotive market today, import or domestic, mid-price or near-luxury. Almost 'exotic' without the exotic price, the Mark VIII leaves its' owners with a heightened stimulation of the senses that very few followers can match, let alone surpass. :L

This is a very interesting conversation and I believe I shall put my two sense in. I believe that Lincoln has some way to go before they hit world class status again, for the auto critics that is. I know one thing, I know a few exchange students who are from Slovakia, to them a Mercedes or BMW is a everyday domestic car like Lincolns and Cadillacs here. When ever they see a Lincoln or Cadillac or even a Chrysler they go GA! GA!. To them Lincolns are what Jaguars are to us, in there own way Lincoln still has the World wanting it's cars. Personally I think it's because, well in my opinion, Lincoln has the most Comfortable seats I have ever sat on in a car. :L Have you guy's sat in a 7 series lately, I think the seats are way too hard, I could'nt imagine a long road trip sitting on hard leather seats like the ones in the Beamer. Lincoln interior might seem cheap to you guy's but many people see it as very classy styling.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well (LINCOLN)
Ain't that the truth. ;) :steering

Kbob,

Both Lexus I drove were very impressive. The LS400 (1998-newer) has an opulent interior, 290HP, suprising handling and still soooo soft on a cruise. The handling is not quite in BMW region, but quite close. For a boat of a car, it's impressive. And the long list of features is great. But best of all, this is one of the quietest cars in the world...for any price. You could carry on a conversation whispering quietly. This is no exageration..it's that quiet.

The GS400 is the LS400's evil brother. With 300HP@6000 RPM and 315TQ@4000RPM (compared to 290@5750 and 290@4500) the GS400 blasts off the line. 0-60 in 5.6-5.8 seconds. The GS does what the Mark VIII could not...it really get off the line, and has tons of power down low. And the inside is quieter than the Mark. The Optitronic gauges are awesome. And the reliability is second to none. For me the GS400 seems like an "upgrade" to the Mark. It does everything the Mark does better. I felt VERY at home behind the wheel of the GS400. This car is also at the top of my list. It will be a very tough decision...

You forget one important item(important to me anyways)... price.

The '98 Lexus GS400 average price is $19,738 while the '98 Mark VIII average price is $10,309(both numbers from search on Autotrader.com with 300 mile radius of my zip). To put it perspective, is the Lexus twice as good as the Mark VIII? I'd find that hard to fathom. To me that makes the Mark VIII twice the deal over the GS400. Shoot, you could have His and Hers Mark VIIIs for the kind of money you'd have in the Lexus. Just my opinion.

Driller,

The material and workmanship is twice of what the Mark VIII is. And the reliability? Without compare. If it's a car you intend on keeping for awhile, and don't have the $$ to do alot of repairs, it's an easy choice. Had I bought a GS400 at the same time I bought my 1997 (they were both similarly priced here when new, the GS being only fractionaly more), the GS would be worth more than twice as much. So the Lexus depreciates half of what the Lincoln does. It really is a cut above the Lincoln. Not only that, the dealerships kiss you butt (which NEVER happens at a Ford dealership). If I have to pay a premium to drive a premium car, that's acceptable to me....As I said..I LOVED my Lincoln. But driving something a notch or two up on the ladder is quite the eye opener.

Anyone who would call a car "crap" because of country of origin is ignorant. (or just a hater). The fact of the matter is, Lexus is THE most reliable built car in the world. PERIOD. A recent report from JD Power said that an 8 year old Lexus is more reliable than ANY car on the market...save for a new Lexus. As an engineer and a car lover, I love many cars from many different countries. I like many cars for special reasons. Most of the time, people don't like Lexus because it is a better car than the one the drive. It's called jealousy.....Perhaps you should drive one before judging?

Na, I will pass the "Golden Rice Mobile!" Hahaha Some people have different looks at different things. If everyone thought the same way. What would are world be like?

Plus, I said I liked the car. It was one of the car companys that I liked. So, calm down and watch the name calling. Okay?

I haven't started calling you names...(yet).... :F

Members online

No members online now.
Back