To keep my 70 cutlass or sell it

blacklsc1

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
here is my dilemma. i have a 1970 olds cutlass that needs quite a bit of work. I am at a crossroads because im not sure which direction i should take. The engine, transmission and suspension are done. The body on the other hand needs quite a bit of work, it will need fender patches, lower quarter panel patches, a trunk floor, minor rust repair on the trunk as well as the roof(hinge pillar and around the back glass). I have 2 options, (1) keep the car and put the money into it and finish it, or (2) yank the engine and tranny, sell the rolling chassis and look for a 78-87 g-body without rust issues as bad as this one. With that said, this is my first car, and i have little bodywork experience. what do you guys think?

How much could you get for it as a roller w/ all that rust? If you've just lost any and all interest i'd get rid of it and move onto you're next project. But that requires more money for a nicer/little to no rust bodied car.

I'd never buy a rusty busty as a project car if i didn't know how to do body work. And it appears as though yours has a ton.

like i said it was my first car, ive had it for 16 years, and its been outside for the most part, because i had nowhere to put it. i figured i can maybe get 3500 for it, it has the hotchkis suspension frt and rear, polyurehtane bushings, be cool aluminum radiator, mandrel bent exhaust.

What's the question?
Whether you should rebuild your first car?
Whether you should finish the '70 Olds?
Or if you should pursue a '70 or '87 Olds?

Since none of these would be defined as practical decisions, I guess passion is the determining factor. Which project do you have passion for?

Not enough information. Whats the engine and transmission. What is your goal with it. A DD or a drag car ect.

I love these cars, but can't afford more than one toy. The Mark will be my main toy until then.

455 bored .30 over to a 461(engine is out of a 68 toronodo) forged crank, rods, pistons, arp bolts, crower beast cam, 1.7 rr, C heads with ss valves, edelbrock torker intake, 750 carb, hooker headers 2.50 inch exhaust, th400 built by fb transmission in l.i, 2800 stall, 1 piece custom driveshaft, hotchkis sway bars, lower arms, adjustable uppers, polyurethane frt end rebuild, 12 bolt rear(open with 3.08). i want to make it a weekend toy, but i have to invest in the body now. Drivetrain wise its almost there i just need a good rear in it, and re-do the brakes.

Choices

You have a few choices. First, if you get rid of your first car you will regret it ten minutes after it goes down the road. You have done a lot of work to the drive train and the suspension so it is obvious you have a lot of passion for your first car. With that said selling it should be out of the question. As far as fixing the body you have a few options. First option is to do the body work your self. There are books and videos available that can give you an idea of what to do and then trial and error. Option number two is that you can take the car to a body shop or trade school and have the body work done either piece by piece or a full restoration depending on what your wallet will allow. Option number three, your car is a body on a full frame car. Remove the body, restore the frame and shop for a rust free body in the south west. I hope you find this helpful. I will assume that you have already ordered all the books on Cutlasses that tell you what patch panels are available. Also keep in mind that when dealing with rust, if you can see one inch of rust with the car still holding its paint that means in most cases you have a minimum of two inches of rust you can't see.. The best solution to rid yourself of the rust is to rebody your 70 Cutlass. Gregg

I agree with moushouse... Take the body off, restore the frame and leave all your powertrain stuff on it. Then, in the interrum either work on your body, or find a rust free shell. You will regret selling your first car, my first was a 70 Chevelle. I sold it due to too much rust...

First car holds to many memories. That said we never do anything practical when it comes to the first car so you can either make the decision with your head or your heart you will not be wrong either way.

I myself would keep the car and not regret it and work away until it was done. Do you really care how long it takes to get it to weekend status?

right now the car is sitting(on blacktop) on the side of my house. My 90 linc is in the garage now with my 98 in the driveway. Its not costing me anything to have it sit there, and i am in no rush at this point. I have 3 cars that are all begging for money, i just need to decide in what order. Unfortunatly the olds will go last because its gonna need the most amount of coin. thanks guys.

storage

right now the car is sitting(on blacktop) on the side of my house. My 90 linc is in the garage now with my 98 in the driveway. Its not costing me anything to have it sit there, and i am in no rush at this point. I have 3 cars that are all begging for money, i just need to decide in what order. Unfortunatly the olds will go last because its gonna need the most amount of coin. thanks guys.

It sounds like you have decided to keep your Cutlass and put it aside for another day. I think that is a wise choice. But you are not off the hook yet. You need to do a few things to preserve your car so that you have something to restore or build when the time is right. You need to put the car into storage. In doing so you need to preserve the power train, the interior, and the body. The first step is to get the supplies you will need so make a list. The first thing is to drain the fuel tank. I would run it dry. Next you will want to get some good quality oil and do an oil change. The next is to get some gas line and about a quart of gas in a gas can. Start the car with this gas hooked to the fuel pump. Now you want to run the car at idle and pour motor oil down the carburator until it chocks out. This will lubricate the internal combustion chamber and keep the engine from seizing. Next fill the engine block with oil. You will also need some silicant packets. I would put a few packets under the distributor cap. You will also need some Decon and moth balls. Put Decon bait under the hood in a few places, inside the trunk, and also in the interior. Put moth balls under the hood, inside the air cleaner, in the glove box, under all the seats and inside the trunk. This should keep rodents from making a home in your car. They love paper, wiring, and upholstery. Next you need to jack the car up and place blocks under the frame. It is also a good idea to put a blastic vapor barrier between the ground and the car. With the car safely on blocks pull the four tires and wheels. Put them in a cool dry place away from the sun. Remove your rear brake drums and spray them with cosmoline. Spray the front disks as well. This should keep the brakes from seizing. You will have work to clean them up later but it is better than frozen brakes. Any rust spots on the body that are visible can be covered with Por-15 to help stop the rust progression. Lastly you should cover the car in a leanto if possible and also an outdoor car cover.

Members online

No members online now.
Back