Tint Removal

Venom-Linc

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to remove my tint. What is the best way to do this? I removed some tint years ago. It was a big p.i.t.a. as I remember. I plan on using a steamer to do it this time, because I heard this was the best and easiest way to do it. Has anyone ever used a steamer or should I just get it professionally done?

the steamer method sucks, get a blow dryer and get the tint very hot and pull VERY slowly only pulling the areas which you heated up. You can also spray some simple green between the film and the window as you go to help loosen the glue.

beaups said:
why are you removing it?

I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago and I have to remove it.

02V8Sport said:
the steamer method sucks, get a blow dryer and get the tint very hot and pull VERY slowly only pulling the areas which you heated up. You can also spray some simple green between the film and the window as you go to help loosen the glue.

Thanks man. Does that leave a lot of adhesive behind, because that is what I am worried about?

Use a hairdryer and heat up the tint and just start pulling at the edges. Don't use too much heat because it may crack the window.

Use brake cleaner and a rag to remove the adhesive.

I found the easiest thing to use was acual tint remover.... it comes in a spray bottle... you spray down the tint and let it soak for a certain amount of time, and it breaks down the adhesive of the tint then it just kinda peels off.......

Venom-Linc said:
Thanks man. Does that leave a lot of adhesive behind, because that is what I am worried about?

It will leave quite a bit behind, simple green dissolves it immediately.

LincolnLSpunk156 said:
I found the easiest thing to use was acual tint remover.... it comes in a spray bottle... you spray down the tint and let it soak for a certain amount of time, and it breaks down the adhesive of the tint then it just kinda peels off.......

can you let me know what brand is this product??

seems like goo gone would take off any residual adhesive.

My buddy works at a tint shop and when he has to remove tint, he uses a razor blade and ammonia. He starts at the corner and pulls the tint off. To get all of the adhesive off, he sprays ammonia on and lets it soak for a couple of seconds and then scraps it off with the razor. I saw him do it one time and the adhesive came off pretty easy.

ammonina is the best way to remove it.....spray window thick wit ammonia and heat it up slowly....or leave it out in the sun for a couple of hours. Depending on how old the tint is, it sholuld come off easily. Use a razor blade (stainless steel only) to remove the excess glue. I work at a tint shop, and this is what my tinters do. Hope this helps

i've done it before.. its really not that hard.. with a razor u should be fine.. the only problem ur going to have is with the rear window because of the defrost.. if u dont do it professionaly, ur going to lose ur rear defrost..

2001LS8Sport said:
You received a ticket for the REAR window being too dark?????

I got pulled over because the cop was behind me and couldn't see through my back window. She then checked my driver's window and it scanned 16%, even though I have 20% tint. The law is 32% on all windows. In Georgia they physically inspect your car to see if you removed the tint before you can pay the ticket. Otherwise, I would have just paid the fine and not removed the tint.

BanginLS said:
i've done it before.. its really not that hard.. with a razor u should be fine.. the only problem ur going to have is with the rear window because of the defrost.. if u dont do it professionaly, ur going to lose ur rear defrost..

How would I know if the defrost lines are being messed up? Would they literally come off, because I've peeled off a small section on my back window and the defroster lines seemed fine?

1. Cut black plastic bag to fit shape of rear window.
2. Mix up some ammonia water solution.
3. Drentch rear window and black plastic
4 Place plastic on window
5. Leave in sun for a bit(the sun and the ammonia sofen the adhesive)
6. Remove bag and peal tint (always try to pull with defost lines), the ammonia loosens the adhesive. This allows you to easly remove tint from the rear window.
7. Repeat steps 1-7 until tint and most of the adhesive is removed.
8. The Adhesive residue can be removed with green scrub pad and ammonia solution, with care not to peal defrost lines... scrub with the defrost lines not against.

This is how the pros remove tint.. Its very time consuming and it works.

***Do this at your own risk***

Good Luck :D

Venom-Linc said:
She then checked my driver's window and it scanned 16%, even though I have 20% tint.

the reason is that the stock windows come with 5% reduction in light transmission.... so add that to the 20% of your tint and you're at 15%....

i got pulled over and got marked at 3%... i have 5 percent tint.. quik might be right above.. but i was told that over time the tint itself gets darker.. then begins to lighten up.. it al really depends..

galantz28x said:
I work at a tint shop, and this is what my tinters do. Hope this helps
Speaking on tint....can tint be applied on top of tint ? My car came tinted, but its kinda light. Rather than stripping and replacing i think just adding new tint would be alot easier.

tint can easily be placed over other layers of tint. i have 3 layers of limo on the back of my honda accord

gixxerboi said:
tint can easily be placed over other layers of tint. i have 3 layers of limo on the back of my honda accord
If thats the case, how do the % work out ? I am assuming i have like 30% now. Is the final "darkness" going to be whatever the darkest % is, or is there some weirdness with layering different %.

I've been tinting for 13+ years now, and Mac98SHO's method for the back window, although ammonia isn't necessary, is how i remove film. This is the same as using a steamer, except the combination of water, the black bag, and the sun do all the work for you. 95% of the time, if you let the car sit in the sun long enough with the black bag method, the adhesive will come with it. It all depends on the condition of the film. Never ue brake fluid to remove adhesive. Think of what brake fluid does to paint, Do you really want to take the chance and spill some on your interior?

For side windows, soapy water and a razor blade is the easiest, and most effective.

For those that said be careful not to break the glass, don't worry, it wont break. The ONLY window you would have to worry about that is the windshield, because it's safety glass, comprised of 2 layers of glass with a special film in between them to keep shards from flying at you in case of an accident. All other windows are tempered, and are made to withstand the heat.

BanginLS said:
i got pulled over and got marked at 3%... i have 5 percent tint.. quik might be right above.. but i was told that over time the tint itself gets darker.. then begins to lighten up.. it al really depends..

Think about it, everything else fades in the sun. Why would window film be any different?

gixxerboi said:

That's just stupid. Don't you realize how dangerous that is? I'm not a huge fan of limo anyways, but 3 layers is overkill. To me, limo film makes a car "ghetto" looking.

2001LS8Sport said:
Am I glad I live in Arizona. They are pretty damn lenient here.

I dont know what part of AZ you live in, but I lived in PHX for almost 4 years. We were constantly removing/replacing film because of tickets.

i jus removed my tint a few weeks ago and it is a big P.I.T.A... i just used windex and a razor to get the adhesive off after i peeled the tint, and it worked fine... just time consuming and the adhesive is so sticky and gets everywhere!

Members online

No members online now.
Back