Tint Glue Removal

Oh, no. You didn't pull the film and leave the glue did you? If you left the glue behind, you're going to have to take your time and windex it...a lot. Or, if you have a steamer, that might be easier. If you haven't pulled the film off, I have an excellent method. I pulled tint off a car a few weeks and found an excellent method.

Spray the glass down well with Simple Green, and cover it with cling wrap. This prevents the Simple Green from drying or running off. Let it sit, preferably in the sun and heat, for a little while. 30 minutes worked well for me. Then let the defrost run on it for at least 5 minutes at full heat and power. This is especially useful on the rear! Now use a razor to pick a small portion of the tint, just enough to get your fingers on. Now you can pull slowly and carefully, and the adhesive will come off with the tint. Only a little residue will be left anywhere on the glass, and a few good cleanings with Windex will have the glass completely clean.

I have heard of a lot of different substances being used to remove the adhesive that is left after the film is removed. I used the following and found that Windex still works the best: windex, amonia, simple green, WD-40, dish detergent and water. They all did a good job, but the Windex did better, and is not as harsh as the amonia.

My rear tint has looked bad since I bought the car -- while cleaning it last night I noticed an edge peeling a little, so I took the tint off. The film came off in one piece, (which gives you an idea of how well it was on) but yes, left the adhesive.

I cleaned it for about an hour, letting glass cleaner soak then rubbin........ I got 30%-40% off --- before I got tired and decided to look for a better way

Unfortunately the only better way that I have heard of is a steamer. I personally have not tried it, but it is supposed to get it off with relative ease. You may want to try the Simple Green method I mentioned and see if it works on just the adhesive. You may just have to act fast to wipe the glue off before the Simple Green dries. Good luck!

You can either use rubbing alcohol, or paint thinner. The only problem with paint thinner is that you run the risk in rubbing right thru the defroster lines on your back glass. The rubbing alcohol takes a bit longer, but you will not rub thru the defroster lines.

I have this stuff called Goo Gone that should work also, but have never tried it, and you can also use nail polish remover. The nail polish remover is not as strong as paint remover, but you may run the risk of rubbing thru the defroster lines.

Also, make sure you do not get any of the mentioned removers on your back deck. They WILL leave stains that may never come out. So, as a precaution, lay down some towels that you do not care about any longer so you can catch any excess that may fall when doing this.

I hope that this helps, these are the best methods that I know of (used to tint windows, and ran a shop that tinted windows). There is also the razor method, but that will DEFINITELY go right thru the defroster lines....so that is not recommended for windows with defroster lines in them.
:Beer

Professional tinters use steel wool and I forget, either ammonia or vinnegar.The steel wool does'nt go through the defroster lines.

Members online

No members online now.
Back