Timing Chain Kit

JerzyHustler

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a kit or even the individual parts? I have been looking all over and can only find the Continental parts. Any help would be appreciated, also, if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to do this myself I would appreciate it. $1300 in labor at the repair shop....jeez :(

Does anyone know where I can buy a kit or even the individual parts? I have been looking all over and can only find the Continental parts. Any help would be appreciated, also, if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to do this myself I would appreciate it. $1300 in labor at the repair shop....jeez :(

give me a week or so and i will tell you what it is like I am going to tackle it.
See my post under "so many issues I don't know where to start"

just curious - what is the reason you are looking to do the chaining chain.

I'd give it some real thought before you start this project unless this kind of thing is your profession or you have a lot of "hobby" experience and time. I am well into changing a broken chain and it is definitly a monumental task. I have worked on my own and friends cars for over 50 years, some for fun most from necessity. I have worked on flathead Ford engines and transmissions to my Corvette with all kinds of muscle cars and even RV,s and everyday drivers. I have rebuilt several engines and made several engine swaps but this thing is the most complex project I have every seen. There is virtually nothing under the hood that doesn't have to be removed or disconnected to get to the chain problem. I have a full compliment of tools both hand and powered as well as a lift in my garage. I can not immagine someone doing this in their driveway with a toolbox from their trunk. Under the circumstances I find this to be a challange and a learning experience to me & my Stepson( not that he is being any help but maybe it will teach him to pay more attention to what he buys if it sits in the garage awhile.) If it were a car I needed to get around myself I would be
totally upset. So far we have almost $500 in parts ordered. I am sure to have it fixed would be astronomical. I would probably just unload it before I would pay the price to HAVE it fixed.
If you decide to tear into yours GOOD LUCK

Chain replace

I'd give it some real thought before you start this project unless this kind of thing is your profession or you have a lot of "hobby" experience and time. I am well into changing a broken chain and it is definitly a monumental task. I have worked on my own and friends cars for over 50 years, some for fun most from necessity. I have worked on flathead Ford engines and transmissions to my Corvette with all kinds of muscle cars and even RV,s and everyday drivers. I have rebuilt several engines and made several engine swaps but this thing is the most complex project I have every seen. There is virtually nothing under the hood that doesn't have to be removed or disconnected to get to the chain problem. I have a full compliment of tools both hand and powered as well as a lift in my garage. I can not immagine someone doing this in their driveway with a toolbox from their trunk. Under the circumstances I find this to be a challange and a learning experience to me & my Stepson( not that he is being any help but maybe it will teach him to pay more attention to what he buys if it sits in the garage awhile.) If it were a car I needed to get around myself I would be
totally upset. So far we have almost $500 in parts ordered. I am sure to have it fixed would be astronomical. I would probably just unload it before I would pay the price to HAVE it fixed.
If you decide to tear into yours GOOD LUCK
Would it be simpler to drop the engine out and then do the work? The replacement engine I'm working on only took about two hours to strip completely. Much easier since you have a hoist.

By the way, did you break a chain? I've not found much suggestion that the chains are high maintenance items
KS

timing chain

Would it be simpler to drop the engine out and then do the work? The replacement engine I'm working on only took about two hours to strip completely. Much easier since you have a hoist.

By the way, did you break a chain? I've not found much suggestion that the chains are high maintenance items
KS

You would still have to disconnect everything. It is not overwhelming but you better be pretty mechanical inclined. and have pleny of time and patience.
I myself am too used to repairing GM cars which may not be eaiser to work on but I know them top to bottom. I don't want to alienate anyone on this website because I appreciate their help and insight but Corvettes are my passion.

The tensioner broke and then snapped the secondary chain. I think this car had been doctored up before the kid bought it. The guy sold it to him was looking for a sucker that knew nothing about cars and that is my step son. It only knew it looked good and had a good radio. So he was satisfied.

no flames intended

You would still have to disconnect everything. It is not overwhelming but you better be pretty mechanical inclined. and have pleny of time and patience.
I myself am too used to repairing GM cars which may not be eaiser to work on but I know them top to bottom. I don't want to alienate anyone on this website because I appreciate their help and insight but Corvettes are my passion.

The tensioner broke and then snapped the secondary chain. I think this car had been doctored up before the kid bought it. The guy sold it to him was looking for a sucker that knew nothing about cars and that is my step son. It only knew it looked good and had a good radio. So he was satisfied.

You don't have to worry about being a Vette devo on any board. (my opinion) I think that will not be a problem. At least it shouldn't be.

I just have one minor issue understanding this situation with your step-son's car. Was it running when he got it? If it was, then the broken chain tensioner and secondary chain were in running condition when he bought it. Anything that happened after that would have been spontaneous and not necessarily a sign of any prior owner's negligence, in my opinion. These engines should be healthy all the way to red line rpms, unless the engine is flat-out worn out. Then it is only bad luck if catastrophic valve train failure occurs.

That said, considering that the broken secondary chain or even the primary chain on that bank has occured on a running engine, is there also valve damage, as I would expect there to me? Maybe even piston damage. Which all leads to the obvious, perhaps a used engine would be the best way to fix this. I mean, head damage, including fractured camshafts, can be expected when you lose valve timing in a rotating engine.

Have you found anything in that head that looks like it is also toast? Because, if you've already ordered $500 in parts, that could be expected to rise. 16 valves and maybe 8 guides is potentially $1000 in head repair.

One other question would be, did you have any problem in obtaining the parts? Are these all available readily? I'm assuming dealer parts counter for all parts your son's engine needs.

BTW: I appreciate your honest reports of this engine tear-down operation. It sucks to be you guys right now, but we, the collective, are getting a minor enlightening education by your posting here.

i have the full timing chain and tensioner set...all 3 chains and however many tensioners there are...got them from the ford dealership and never needed them...

You don't have to worry about being a Vette devo on any board. (my opinion) I think that will not be a problem. At least it shouldn't be.

I just have one minor issue understanding this situation with your step-son's car. Was it running when he got it? If it was, then the broken chain tensioner and secondary chain were in running condition when he bought it. Anything that happened after that would have been spontaneous and not necessarily a sign of any prior owner's negligence, in my opinion. These engines should be healthy all the way to red line rpms, unless the engine is flat-out worn out. Then it is only bad luck if catastrophic valve train failure occurs.

That said, considering that the broken secondary chain or even the primary chain on that bank has occured on a running engine, is there also valve damage, as I would expect there to me? Maybe even piston damage. Which all leads to the obvious, perhaps a used engine would be the best way to fix this. I mean, head damage, including fractured camshafts, can be expected when you lose valve timing in a rotating engine.

Have you found anything in that head that looks like it is also toast? Because, if you've already ordered $500 in parts, that could be expected to rise. 16 valves and maybe 8 guides is potentially $1000 in head repair.

One other question would be, did you have any problem in obtaining the parts? Are these all available readily? I'm assuming dealer parts counter for all parts your son's engine needs.

BTW: I appreciate your honest reports of this engine tear-down operation. It sucks to be you guys right now, but we, the collective, are getting a minor enlightening education by your posting here.

As I said in the original post title"so many issues I don't know where to start" this is a long story. I have actually had it running after it was towed home. It was backfiring back thru thre intake. When i shut it down nothing apeared to crash at that time. I tried a few things and tried to restart with no luck. What I believe happened was it originally jumped a tooth on the chain when the tensioner collasped. The chain was not totally apart on both sides just broke free on one side. Then with the backfiring when I shut it down it kicked it off the intake cam. The reason I believe there was jury rigging on this it was making a bad lifter type sound right after he got it which would abate after a slight warmup. I had heard of these having trouble with plugs working loose and I know they will have a ticking sound, then expand and close up somewhat. So after it quit running the first thing i did was pull the covers and change the plugs. The right front actually wasn't even finger tight. Obviously not the problem but during this process i could tell the valve covers had been off recently. Loose/missing bolts bad oil leaking into the plug area and such also some of the coils had mounting flange broke and taped together and horribly oil soaked boots . When I finally got into the timing chain and tensioner the tensioner was missing the teflon type shoe that runs on the backside of the chain. I could see no pieces or indication that it broke up inside and the metal plate on the tensioner had been running against the back of the chain for a while. I think it had other repairs and was not put back together correctly. That part may be laying on someones workbench.
As far as finding timing chain and gasket parts, nothing has been available thru aftermarket parts stores. Local Ford pricing for chain and tensioner was $247. I ordered both from TEAM FORD in LV for $102 plus 7.66 shipping. I have not gotten a confirmation on shipping yet so how readily available they are is still out. I ordered the coils on EBAY. I still am confident I can put back together with no other problems. Right now we are in a holding pattern waiting for parts.
Thanks for all the interest and input.

The reason I believe there was jury rigging on this it was making a bad lifter type sound right after he got it which would abate after a slight warmup
Only thing about that is that the V8s don't have "lifters". The cams sit right over the valves.

maheenjun1.jpg

exactly. That is why i was looking for other culprits. That was just the kind of sound it had. I have everything pulled down just waiting for the parts from Team Ford. Got shipping confirmation this afternoon. Should be able to go back the other way next week.

valve actuating mechanism

There is actually a 'bucket' over each valve stem/spring. That's what you see that the cam lobe actually runs on. The shiny disk is a shim---available in various thicknesses to set the lash. Although they're fairly hard to get off the top of the bucket, it's usually possible to use a blow gun to shoot air under and lift them off. If the work done on yours resulted in the loss of one or more and/or the replacement with the wrong thickness, it would surely make noise.
Good luck and give us a running commentary on your progress!

KenS from Ben's Place

I am still waiting on parts but there is no doubt in my mind the noise we heard was the tensioner without the plastic shoe which would quiet way down when the hydrylics of the tensioner pumped tight into the back of the chain. I have done some checking of the lash gap and they seem to spec although I haven't totally gotten thru them.

GO JAYHAWKS

wait, was the sound you heard a knocking tapping...sounds like something is being slapped around kinda type sound?....like a rattle kinda from the engine?...

wait, was the sound you heard a knocking tapping...sounds like something is being slapped around kinda type sound?....like a rattle kinda from the engine?...

No that sound would be the Jayhawks working over Roy Williams and the North Carolina Tar Heels Saturday night.

Specialty Tools

Are the same specialty tools needed on this that would be needed on a 2006?

Contacted a guy that I used to work with at the shop...looked up the labor on this repair...

17 hours labor to replace the timing chains on a 3.9L V8 2000 - 2005

A ticking sound when cold that disappears when hot is usually a cracked exhaust manifold. Pretty common on early LSes.

Contacted a guy that I used to work with at the shop...looked up the labor on this repair...

17 hours labor to replace the timing chains on a 3.9L V8 2000 - 2005

Alldata says 10 hours for chain & tensioner replacement....

If you are ordering a tensioner from Team Ford from their online catalog I would suggest you call. I recieced the wrong part. Bill Jenkins was very helpful and said their catalog listed the wrong number. He was getting it updated. I would call to make sure you get the correct parts on this. They were great fixing the problem though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back