Time to say Goodbye!

StanE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, after 11 years and 127,000 miles, it's time to say goodbye to my old faithful 2001 LS V6 Sport in Charcoal Green over Tan. I have been the one and only keeper of this car from new.

Although still running strong and looking good, there are some signs of terminal aging creeping into the mechanicals, including:

- An occsional puff of blue smoke on cold starts.
- Slight oil leak from the pan gasket or front seal.
- Slight oil leak from A/C compressor front seal.
- and, most ominiously - the oil pressure light occasionally comes on at hot idle.......

Should be picking up a new Ford Focus SE 5-door with 5-speed, sport package and myFordSync tomorrow evening......

With many thanks to all on this forum - I have learned much about looking after, repairing and improving these elegant cars and even contributed a couple of snippets of my own.

Best Wishes!

Here She Is

LS 001.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with the new car. I like that color and the color matched surround it all goes together nicely.

Damn, sucks to see another go down.

But a Ford Focus? Uhhh, lol.

Car still looks great, don't you think going from the LS to the focus will be a bit of a down grade? LOL

Thank you. The car is pretty much stock, except for a few minor alterations:

- The color coded front grille and rear licence plate panel.
- blacked out chrome trim around the tops of the doors with 3M coach tape (thanks to LVC members for this great tip!).
- Lincoln factory mudflaps front and rear.
- Upgraded to Rockford Fosgate 6.5" component speakers in front doors (stock Alpine 6-disc head unit - makes a huge improvement in the sound for very little cost).
- Added iPhone/iPod interface to stock head unit, including control via factory steering wheel/head unit buttons.

Charcoal Green (code FT) over tan is a great color combination in my opinion, but it appears to be very rare - I have only ever seen a couple of others on the road like mine.......

Focus is a downgrade. Even a fusion would be a downgrade but they are nice for a FWD 6 banger.

But why not simply keep the car? If its already paid for and you already have it setup the way you want it makes sense to simply keep it as a second vehicle.

Focus is a downgrade. Even a fusion would be a downgrade but they are nice for a FWD 6 banger.

But why not simply keep the car? If its already paid for and you already have it setup the way you want it makes sense to simply keep it as a second vehicle.

Complicated - let's just say - at this point in my life I need low cost, reliable worry free transportation for a few years.

But Hey - at least I'm keeping it in the Ford family and trying to inject a little driving fun with a 5-speed trans in the Focus!!

Thank you. The car is pretty much stock, except for a few minor alterations:

- The color coded front grille and rear licence plate panel.
- blacked out chrome trim around the tops of the doors with 3M coach tape (thanks to LVC members for this great tip!).
- Lincoln factory mudflaps front and rear.
- Upgraded to Rockford Fosgate 6.5" component speakers in front doors (stock Alpine 6-disc head unit - makes a huge improvement in the sound for very little cost).
- Added iPhone/iPod interface to stock head unit, including control via factory steering wheel/head unit buttons.

Charcoal Green (code FT) over tan is a great color combination in my opinion, but it appears to be very rare - I have only ever seen a couple of others on the road like mine.......
I have the same color and I love it. Changes color at night when the light hits it just right. I'm getting mine repainted soon, and wouldn't go with another color if you paid me. Sad to see yours it getting taken off the road. Just don't put her in the junkyard. Someone will see her potential.

I have the same color and I love it. Changes color at night when the light hits it just right. I'm getting mine repainted soon, and wouldn't go with another color if you paid me. Sad to see yours it getting taken off the road. Just don't put her in the junkyard. Someone will see her potential.

Oh she's not being junked - she will be traded against the Focus and I'm sure will go on to a new owner.....

Oh she's not being junked - she will be traded against the Focus and I'm sure will go on to a new owner.....

It'll be this kid:
stupid-teenager-who-talks-gangster-200X200.jpg

AWWW SHIIEEETT THIS WHIP BE TIGHT YO! JUST NEED SOME 24s AND CHROME ERRRYTHANG MAYBE SOME JDM STICKER AND A TURBO KIT WITH A SICK HOOD SCOOP

lol jk, sad to see it go

Focus may be a downgrade, but any Ford these days is a good car in my opinion. With the focus you'll save gas and hey it's a new car, everyone loves a new car. Sorry to hear the LS has to go though she is a beauty.

It'll be this kid:
stupid-teenager-who-talks-gangster-200X200.jpg

AWWW SHIIEEETT THIS WHIP BE TIGHT YO! JUST NEED SOME 24s AND CHROME ERRRYTHANG MAYBE SOME JDM STICKER AND A TURBO KIT WITH A SICK HOOD SCOOP

lol jk, sad to see it go

haha +1

Complicated - let's just say - at this point in my life I need low cost, reliable worry free transportation for a few years.

But Hey - at least I'm keeping it in the Ford family and trying to inject a little driving fun with a 5-speed trans in the Focus!!

Fair enough. Didnt look at the fusions??

Focus may be a downgrade, but any Ford these days is a good car in my opinion. With the focus you'll save gas and hey it's a new car, everyone loves a new car. Sorry to hear the LS has to go though she is a beauty.

I wouldint mind a fusion as a DD. They have some good aftermarket and look sporty as well.

LOL @ the kid. You forgot to mention the cheap quality 15's he'll put in too.

Fair enough. Didnt look at the fusions??

I wouldint mind a fusion as a DD. They have some good aftermarket and look sporty as well.

I've driven an 09 Fusion numerous times and it is a very nice car. There are things that it has that I wish the LS had and there are things the LS has I wish the Fusion had. It seems to ride really smooth. When I bought the LS a Fusion was actually the other car I was considering.

Goodbye and best of luck

Thanks for being in the forum for so long. I have the same 01V6 141k miles, same leaks at oil pan gasket, this might be your oil light coming on problem. I have the exact same issue, leaking oil, light on. I'll run mine until the wheels fall off. Good luck!

Heck of a clean looking LS. Almost wish I had a shot to buy it. LOL. But anyway, good luck with the new purchase.

Thanks for being in the forum for so long. I have the same 01V6 141k miles, same leaks at oil pan gasket, this might be your oil light coming on problem. I have the exact same issue, leaking oil, light on. I'll run mine until the wheels fall off. Good luck!

Good luck with yours too.
As far as the oil leaks go, I would have to believe they are not directly related to the light. Oil light on means low oil pressure (or maybe a faulty sender switch) and that's a function of bearing clearances getting bigger with wear and/or oil wear in the oil pump itself.

On the other hand, leaks are usually from low pressure areas of the engine, via seals and gaskets etc.

Anyway, keep the oil level up to the full mark and keep her going until the bearings start to rattle - could be a long time yet, but in my case I decided to quit while I could!

I know it's a PITA, but I'd pull the upper hoses so I could get down to the pressure switch and either change it (~$14) or temporarily put in an oil pressure gauge to see what is really going on. There have been a number of posts here and on other LS forums where the oil pressure sender has been an issue. Enough that I have a pressure sender for my LS sitting just above my computer screen 'cause I don't need my wife freakin' out.

The harmonic dampener seal is pretty easy to replace with the front cover in the car, although it's easier if you have an air impact wrench to pull the retaining bolt. The crank dampener / pulley comes off easily with a puller, there is even a illustration showing how to remove the seal with the front cover on (Ford tool), but it can be done with a little ingenuity. A replacement seal will tap in with some lubrication on it's outer surface and some care tapping it in around it's diameter. You'll need a strap wrench to hold the pulley when reinstalling the crank bolt, and a torque wrench.

DSCN1101.jpg

If the leaks are at the front pan gasket and not the bed plate, that's really easy to change on this car. 17 8mm bolts with a $12.50 gasket and it's done.

Members online

Back