Time has come to change the coils. Tips? Tricks? :)

Ghaleon64

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy howdy!

Well, after owning her for over a year now I'm finally getting the sputter with a cheery check engine light. Time to replace some coils and plugs I think.

This is the first time I've done this on the LS, have done it before on my Mark VIII though. Pretty easy job on that car.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about the driver's side coil cover's bolts. So any tips for getting that thing off? Any special tools I should go get or any neat tricks anyone has discovered over the years? Looking to tackle it tomorrow so any tips or recommendations would be hella appreciated! Thanks folks! Oh, it's an 06 Sport if that matters.

Take a look at the TECH ARTICLES at the top of the page, Quick LS did a write up for the V8.

A 7 MM box wrench will make getting to the coil cover bolt that is closest to the brake booster way easier. One with steep angles like the picture will eliminate a lot of head aches.

box wrench.jpg

6 point. 6 point. 6 point.

That is not a bolt you want to round off.

A 6pt combination 7mm wrench will also do just fine as long as you "wrench" from behind the motor with your left hand.

A 7 MM box wrench will make getting to the coil cover bolt that is closest to the brake booster way easier. One with steep angles like the picture will eliminate a lot of head aches.
NOW you say this!!! :rolleyes:

6 point. 6 point. 6 point.

That is not a bolt you want to round off.

A 6pt combination 7mm wrench will also do just fine as long as you "wrench" from behind the motor with your left hand.
I hope the bolt isn't that tight. I ended up replacing all my cover bolts with bolts from Lowes. So many of them were missing.

NOW you say this!!! :rolleyes:

I hope the bolt isn't that tight. I ended up replacing all my cover bolts with bolts from Lowes. So many of them were missing.

I didn't have one of these wrenches when i did mine either. Lol. I had to break the cover around the bolt. I was out of options at this point.

My recommendation is get that wrench, and get a nice set of extensions and elbows. It should be pretty easy from there.

Excellent, thanks for the tips. In some of those how-to guides, it mentions using brake caliper lube on the boot ends? Is that accurate? And do I need to keep it off the spring inside the boot or does it matter? Was a bit confused by that...

It's mentioned in the service manual as well. It acts a water barrier and in the future makes it easier to remove the boot off the plug.

The rest come off with a 1/4" socket set, 7mm, 7mm deep (for length), short and long extensions, ratchet and maybe I used a u-joint.

The stripping isn't some much for the bolt being that tight, but the wrench may not be on straight so you can round the points, especially with a 12pt. When I took over managing the company vehicle facility the first thing I did was toss all the 12pt sockets and wrenches in the shop.

Do your valve cover gaskets too if any oil is present in the plug wells or you will be doing this again soon. And change your spark plugs while you are in there.

Do your valve cover gaskets too if any oil is present in the plug wells or you will be doing this again soon. And change your spark plugs while you are in there.
I'm curious... if there's no oil in the plug wells, but oil is coming from the sensors on the front of the valve covers, do you still need to replace the gaskets or just the sensors/gaskets?

i tie a string from the wrench to my wrist, that way if i drop the wrench, im not looking for it forever.

^^^
Lol, now THAT'S a good tip. :D

Alrighty, headed out now to get some tools and brake lube, thanks again folks!

Oh, and I am replacing plugs as well. Got some of those fancy schmancy Bosch platinum 4 tipped plugs. :p

I'm curious... if there's no oil in the plug wells, but oil is coming from the sensors on the front of the valve covers, do you still need to replace the gaskets or just the sensors/gaskets?

My VCT sensors have slight oil seepage around them as well. Nothing to worry about. To replace those, you have to pull the entire valve cover IIRC.

Well good thing the coils I ordered came in yesterday. Car went into fail safe mode when I went for tools. O_O

Also discovered that no one around here has a 7mm box wrench or a 6 point. They start at 10 and 8, respectively. So... Wish me luck... I'll have to be real careful...

Yup, went to Sears first. They're the ones who had it down to a size 8mm. Tried Pep Boys and Lowes as well.

BUT! Good news is, job is done. And I went ahead and just threw away the middle/bottom driver's side coil cover bolt because, let's face it, 6 bolts is a bit overkill to fasten a 7oz pice of plastic and it wasn't worth the hassle to put back. :)

Now to reset the battery and get rid of the check engine light and take her for a WOT test drive. :D

They are needed to properly seal the cover against water intrusion from the hood / windshield overlap. There have been people who have had water issues in the wells because the one last bolt was not reinstalled.

Are you in Utah or NY?

^^^
Lol, now THAT'S a good tip. :D

Alrighty, headed out now to get some tools and brake lube, thanks again folks!

Oh, and I am replacing plugs as well. Got some of those fancy schmancy Bosch platinum 4 tipped plugs. :p

Keep us posted on how well those Bosch Plus 4's work.
I've heard nothing but bad reviews regarding Bosch plugs installed in Fords.

I used Bosch platinums for about 2000 miles and it seemed the throttle response was not as good as the factory motorcraft plugs (sp468). I switched back to OEM fairly quickly. I have heard NGK iridium's are good too.

My experience with them in a Ford Thunderbird was bad. I see no need for me to ever try them again.

I've had nothing but problems with Bosch anything plugged into my Fords. I hate their auto parts.

It's been proven over and over again those special design plugs cause nothing but problems. Plus 4s and E3s. Nothing seems to perform as well as the fine tip platinum and iridium plugs.

Sweet. You guys have the information I need right when I need it. I have a set of Bosch +4s in my garage awaiting installation in my LS, guess they'll be going back to the parts store now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back