Ticking Sound on Freezing Cold Startup

WhoBeDaPlaya

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Only noticed this today as temp only dropped to 15F for the first time since I got the 06LS. About 5-7 ticks on startup that go away after the RPMs drop down. Anything I should be worried about? Car has been running perfectly fine thus far.

As always, many TIA :cool:

I got ticks this AM also, I was thinking about using a thinner oil maybe?

yeah, I use valvoline synthetic 10w30. It was 22 degrees at start-up this Am. I'm just about due for a change, so I'll probably switch to 5w30. It doesn't really get too much colder here all winter...we may have a week of single digits, but 10-25 usually does it for us.

Most likely its your belt tensioner. I had mine replaced and it is fine now.

Look Below

08/18/08

3.9L ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT SNAP NOISE IN
FREEZING TEMPERATURES

FORD:
2002-2005 Thunderbird

LINCOLN:
2000-2006 Lincoln LS

ISSUE
Some 2000-2006 Lincoln LS and 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird vehicles equipped with a 3.9L V8 engine may have an accessory drive belt snapping noise for approximately 10 seconds when ambient temperatures are below freezing. A new idler pulley is available to repair this condition.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Install a redesigned idler pulley.

Most likely its your belt tensioner. I had mine replaced and it is fine now.

Look Below

08/18/08

3.9L ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT SNAP NOISE IN
FREEZING TEMPERATURES

FORD:
2002-2005 Thunderbird

LINCOLN:
2000-2006 Lincoln LS

ISSUE
Some 2000-2006 Lincoln LS and 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird vehicles equipped with a 3.9L V8 engine may have an accessory drive belt snapping noise for approximately 10 seconds when ambient temperatures are below freezing. A new idler pulley is available to repair this condition.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Install a redesigned idler pulley.

Is this a recall or something?

good god guys.........IT was COLD.

Engines do that type of thing when freezing. You should hear my 180,000 mile 4.6L when cold.

its not a recall, there is nothing wrong with the belt tensioner. it just makes a ticking noise. Mine would be 3-4 snaps. wait a few seconds, and then 1-2 more and it would stop. When i first bought my car, i thought there was somthing wrong when i parked it outside overnight. It is not a recall because it does nothing but tick. half of the U.S. dosen't get cold enough to ever trigger it. Good luck with yours.

Members online

No members online now.
Back