Thx?

THX is a set of movie theater standards. Pitching a car stereo as a THX system is a joke.

Heard it? That's why each system is tailored to each car. In my wife's LS I have the speed volume set at 3 while in mine I use 5 to get the same results. THX is a sound standard, not just for a movie theater; it can be adapted to any medium.

Heard it? That's why each system is tailored to each car. In my wife's LS I have the speed volume set at 3 while in mine I use 5 to get the same results. THX is a sound standard, not just for a movie theater; it can be adapted to any medium.

Three is the setting I use too.

I love my THX system and get many compliments from passengers that recognize what the THX certification actually means. This is the first factory system that I have noticed that you don't need to crank up the bass & treble controls to get it to sound "right".

I found this article a while back about the system that was written by a Home Theater reviewer in Sept. 2002.

Renowned THX® sound quality goes mobile this fall with the introduction of the 2003 Lincoln LS, the first vehicle to offer a sound system certified under the recently announced THX Ultra Premium Car Audio Program.

The new THX program, the company’s first for the automobile market, draws upon THX’s two decades of experience in sound system engineering and acoustics for professional and home applications to redefine the performance standards needed to deliver the highest quality audio performance in an automobile.

“Our objective with this new program is to do for automotive entertainment what we did for the movies, home theatre and multimedia — provide standards to ensure the best possible performance,” said Robert Hewitt, Director of Sales, THX Ltd. “Today’s luxury car buyers expect a top quality audio system, so it’s natural for THX to apply its extensive experience in sound to this new category, and we’re excited to have Lincoln as the first to offer a THX system.”

The 2003 Lincoln LS THX-certified system offers:

• 10 speakers, including four high-sensitivity two-way speakers (one in each door) and two subwoofer speakers in the rear package tray;
• Four 50-watt amplifiers to power the door speakers and two 32-watt subwoofer amplifiers for high output without audible distortion or compression;
• THX customized equalization to deliver the best possible sound to each seating position, and three user-selectable modes that optimize the sound for any number of passengers;
• 107-dB maximum sound output, combined with undistorted output peaks in excess of 120 dB, to preserve the music’s dynamic range under all conditions

Sure, compared to many well built aftermarket systems, it's shy on the wattage and capability to blow the windows out. The majority of the buyers of these cars (when new) are not in the market for a "boom-boom" ear bleeding sound systems that can be heard from a block away. They want a good quality balanced system and this one does that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back