Threw a code...P0021

ToeCutter

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
obd code says camshaft timing over advanced...car idles like crap and has no acceleration...but runs....

any experience anyone

LOL!!!! OMG DUDE!

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

YOUR SO STUPID FOR NOT KNOWING HOW TO FIX THAT!!

Man it feels good to act like the regulars, My post count grew and you got zero help!

Well I'm actually going to help you here. Your engine has VCT so most likely and that code is for bank two so your viable cam solenoid is probably stuck open or you VCT unit is faulty for some other reason.

edit: mechanic boy got there first.

on a serious note

possible causes...
Incorrect camshaft timing
VCT solenoid valve stuck open or continuous oil flow to piston chamber
Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit

Diagnostic help-
This check engine light code is caused by a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Possible symptoms may include rough idle, stall or hard start. Refer to manufacturer specific component tests for the VCT unit.

Found that on a site...might be worth something.

obd code says camshaft timing over advanced...car idles like crap and has no acceleration...but runs....
any experience anyone

Unplug the connector to the left (driver) side VCT solenoid. It's the thing that sticks out of the front of the valve cover. If the engine behavior changes for the better when you do this, then you have a wiring or a PCM problem. If it doesn't (and I expect that it won't) then you have a mechanical problem somewhere inside that valve cover. The other suggestions on it are good, but I would add the remote possibility of the primary timing chain having jumped a tooth on that side.

LOL!!!! OMG DUDE!

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

YOUR SO STUPID FOR NOT KNOWING HOW TO FIX THAT!!

Man it feels good to act like the regulars, My post count grew and you got zero help!

I know exactly where your coming from...a bunch of clowns on here

my post count just grew by 1 too

thats easy it the "you need to join lvc gold member" code.

Unplug the connector to the left (driver) side VCT solenoid. It's the thing that sticks out of the front of the valve cover. If the engine behavior changes for the better when you do this, then you have a wiring or a PCM problem. If it doesn't (and I expect that it won't) then you have a mechanical problem somewhere inside that valve cover. The other suggestions on it are good, but I would add the remote possibility of the primary timing chain having jumped a tooth on that side.

thanx man....your an asset to this site

edit: mechanic boy got there first.

on a serious note

possible causes...
Incorrect camshaft timing
VCT solenoid valve stuck open or continuous oil flow to piston chamber
Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit

Diagnostic help-
This check engine light code is caused by a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Possible symptoms may include rough idle, stall or hard start. Refer to manufacturer specific component tests for the VCT unit.

Found that on a site...might be worth something.

yeah..thanx man..saw that too

finally found some time to change out the VCT solenoid....

....parts ( valve cover gasket, solenoid, seal and pin ) cost $230 with tax...not bad..but for a car that only has 22 thousand miles on it...I shouldn't be turning wrenches in the first place

took me about 2 hrs... car runs like a champ again...in fact the car seems like it has a little more grunt down low...but I haven't driven the car for several weeks so it might be all in my skull

let's see how long I go before another gremlin shows up.......AND SO IT BEGINS

glad to here you got it fixed on the first try. It would be a shame to let your ls go, I rarely like red cars but yours looks great in it's off red.

One question though, when you were in there did you notice any sludge?

Also I've heard that some oil filter brands tend to break down sooner then other(there's a thread around here somewhere I believe) and if you had one on there that was deteriorating then that could have caused the failure. Make sure oil changes are done on time and with quality oil/filters.

naw..no sludge whatsoever...it looks immaculate under the valve cover..I mean brand new...owner before me was anal about maintenance and in the 4k miles I put on the car so far, she's on her secound oil change with Mobil1

that's why I'm confused by the failure of the solenoid...

naw..no sludge whatsoever...it looks immaculate under the valve cover..I mean brand new...owner before me was anal about maintenance and in the 4k miles I put on the car so far, she's on her secound oil change with Mobil1

I would guess that it was a manufacturing defect. (just the luck of the draw...)

That's why I mentioned the oil filters. If something broke in there like a paper piece it may have jammed in there. If you can see if you can tear down VCT and see what went wrong.

Members online

No members online now.
Back