Those who have had a rusted rocker repaired, inside please

marked8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My 97 LSC was originally a northern car and has a few places with rust issues. The worst is the drivers side rocker panel which is rusted through at the back and is fortunately the only rust through on or under the car. Luckily my passenger side is solid. I have no choice but to get it fixed, not only because it looks like ass but because we have a strict state inspection here and it will not pass as is. Has anyone had any success having a patch welded in? I have a guy that does body work on the side that I will be taking it to, but would like to know your results first. I am also trying to track down a rocker but that may not be an option.

i feel your pain...my 98 marquis front fenders were both rusted badly on the lip in the middle... it made me fall out of love with it and said f it..Woulda fixed it but they didnt make am spay cans in my color...i was to cheap to have it prof done. sold it this spring.. Sucks not having it as a winter beater anymore though

In her prime...

2j5judx.jpg

2vb7dba.jpg

my body guy cut out the rust from the bottom of the rocker panel, about a foot or two long on either side and just patched it up with sheet metal and sprayed the entire length of the bottom of the panel with some bed liner type stuff. how do the seams on that mate the quarter panel and rocker panel look

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Yes it can be cut out and fixed. Do it before it gets real bad and way more expensive ;)

Yes it can be cut out and fixed. Do it before it gets real bad and way more expensive ;)
I have to before the end of August or I can't inspect my car so I have no choice in the matter.

what i want to know is where the heck do you live that your inspections are so strict that you can't have rust on your car????

what i want to know is where the heck do you live that your inspections are so strict that you can't have rust on your car????

Virginia. You can have rust on the car but not rust through in an area like a rocker panel.

I'm having mine done next week, passenger side is all the way through and the drivers side is surface rust. I'll take some before and after shots.I am having a fiberglass patch put on.
I had a quote for three different methods, patch and mud if I was dumping it quick $150.00, Fiberglass patch $379, Metal welded around $500.00.
I opted for the glass patch and to get the surface rust taken care of for $500.00.
I did ask about replacing the rocker panel on the passenger side and the body man smiled and told me that I really didn't want to know.
I wish I could do my own work again.

I will probably go the metal welding route since I will be keeping the car and it is not a daily. My aim is to have no body rust at all when I am finished.

LOL Glad Ohio isnt like that... I bet more rusted out old chevy trucks get put on the road than anything else here!!!

NJ you fail if there are any sharp edges. They don't want kids cutting themselves in parking lots and what not.

2010-07-11102251.gif

2010-07-11102333.gif

Salt and sand combined with a clogged drain hole and you get this. Luckliy the other side is solid.

Looks like the repair is going to cost me $200 and I will be dropping the car off tomorrow.

He called me yesterday and told me that the inside of the rocker was soft as well and that he thought he was going to have to order the piece from his body shop supply source. Luckily he got ambitious and fabricated the part and then welded in the repair patch finished it up by lunch today. He did a very good job on it, and other than being in black primer it looks good. I will probably rattle can it and let it stay like that for a few months until I get the car repainted. He gave me a quote of $1350 for everything for a repaint. When these damn thunderstorms finally get over I will take a few pics of it.

i did that same repair on my car this weekend. but luckily mine wasn't cancer just surface. rattle canned it looks good ill get a pic eventually. cost me like $35 bux total 20 for the rattle can of TS at the paint shop and id say 10 in rust stripper wheels also got some rust neutralizing acid from a MWB. the key is to get it early mine was the bubbled orange stripe coming out of the groove

Members online

Back