This LS is by far the BIGGEST piece of CRAP I've ever owned!

I don't see what is so hard about changing all the coils everytime you feel a misfire? It is not that hard, especially with the LS, it happens so often that it becomes regular maintenance.

Step one, buy 8 coils and plugs

Step two, put them in

Step three, wait for it to happen again.

I don't see what is so hard about changing all the coils everytime you feel a misfire? It is not that hard, especially with the LS, it happens so often that it becomes regular maintenance.

Step one, buy 8 coils and plugs

Step two, put them in

Step three, wait for it to happen again.

IMO that's absolutely ridiculous! I'm not paying a car payment every month to have the car breakdown & I'm definitely not making a payment every month that I should have to buy 8 coils & plugs every time I feel a misfire. Who the hell does that & why should I have to do that to a car that has an original sticker of $45K?

I know people that own bucket ass Hyundai, Kia, Buick & everything in between & NONE of them have had the problems that my low mileage expensive Lincoln have had. I had my 2000 Town Car for over 3 years & the ONLY problem I ever had was a heater core. I could drive the car ANYWHERE & NEVER worried about the car breaking down on me especially with my kids in the car in the middle of a busy intersection.

Seriously the LS is a beautiful & sexy car but they are pieces of :q:q:q:q. My Uncle owned one & so did 2 friends & they warned me not to get one, because they said all they did was have problems with them, but being one not to listen to them all I hear now is "told you so".

I'm running 20k miles, now at 121k, with no misfires. Change coils and let the sweet moments continue.

I certainly wouldn't keep a car that required all the COPs and plugs changed every year or that required repair two or three times a year, or that left me stranded.
Fortunately, neither of my LSes meet any of the above conditions. My 06 has been more reliable than most of my Grand Marquis (whatever the plural is). My 04 has been slightly less reliable than most of the GMs, but not too bad.

(I'd rather change COPs several times, than a heater core once, however I've only had to change all the COPs once, and only on the 04.)

ETC fail mode, been there done that !! Good luck to you, hope you fix your problem soon !

I've had my 01 sport for 4 years and have put roughly 60k HARD miles on it (I make sure my trac-loc still locks up every chance i get, and have changed my rear tires 9 times haha) Its now at 120k, torn down in the process of being painted satin black. besides the normal issues of coils, replacing the coolant tank, and pcv pipe (that one was a bee eye itch) its been good to me, especially considering how abusive I am. Luckily i can do all the work on it myself, and get all my parts at wholesale, so i guess that helps the frustration.

If your issue is the coils, and you can get around under the hood, I would highly suggest dropping the 50 bucks on a basic code reader. It's usually a single coil that causes the headache ($45 at auto zone) and if you've recently changed your spark plugs, you don't really need to again, just see which cylinder is at fault and pop a coil in it.

By the mileage an age of your car, your problems sound excessive, I would trace the cars roots and make sure its not what we in the dealership industry have dubbed "a katrina car" they're out their, they went for a swim 5 years ago in New Orleans, and they're nightmares!

People with no automotive taste are driving the mind numbing sheep vehicles like lame azz Hyundais, Kias, Camrys, Accords etc. Seriously, those kinds of vehicles show NO taste. Wow man, I hope their VERY THIN pride of ownership standard is just making them bust at the seams.......bloody hell. Even if I have to sacrifice some reliability, I'm driving something interesting that the mindless hoard of sheep aren't driving. :rolleyes:

My '05 LS has 72K on it and is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. Not counting the Fiesta I've had a month, that puts it better than 2 Focus', 1 Land Rover, 4 Saabs and then about 8-10 others that I bought used. Not a huge number by any means but still a fair number of cars. I broke the sunglass cubby in the ceiling and punched the traction control switch too hard once. I believe that's the list of ills with my LS in 70K.

Yeah I feel ya! on my 04 LS8 I have now done coils, DCCV, Degas Bottle, Wheel sensonr, and now my DCCV has gone again, thank god I don't need AC anymore, and my Degas bottle started leaking again last night, and I just replaced that last November so it hasn't even been a year yet.

Yeah I feel ya! on my 04 LS8 I have now done coils, DCCV, Degas Bottle, Wheel sensonr, and now my DCCV has gone again, thank god I don't need AC anymore, and my Degas bottle started leaking again last night, and I just replaced that last November so it hasn't even been a year yet.

Oh I forgot that I have also replaced the master cylinder aswell.

People with no automotive taste are driving the mind numbing sheep vehicles like lame azz Hyundais, Kias, Camrys, Accords etc. Seriously, those kinds of vehicles show NO taste. Wow man, I hope their VERY THIN pride of ownership standard is just making them bust at the seams.......bloody hell. Even if I have to sacrifice some reliability, I'm driving something interesting that the mindless hoard of sheep aren't driving. :rolleyes:
My '05 LS has 72K on it and is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. Not counting the Fiesta I've had a month, that puts it better than 2 Focus', 1 Land Rover, 4 Saabs and then about 8-10 others that I bought used. Not a huge number by any means but still a fair number of cars. I broke the sunglass cubby in the ceiling and punched the traction control switch too hard once. I believe that's the list of ills with my LS in 70K.

Amen to that.

I think Dennis just got a bad one out of the bunch.

Mine's been real good too.
A couple of coils I changed out myself and a wheel bearing that was just replaced.

I've had my 01 sport for 4 years and have put roughly 60k HARD miles on it (I make sure my trac-loc still locks up every chance i get, and have changed my rear tires 9 times haha) Its now at 120k, torn down in the process of being painted satin black. besides the normal issues of coils, replacing the coolant tank, and pcv pipe (that one was a bee eye itch) its been good to me, especially considering how abusive I am. Luckily i can do all the work on it myself, and get all my parts at wholesale, so i guess that helps the frustration.

If your issue is the coils, and you can get around under the hood, I would highly suggest dropping the 50 bucks on a basic code reader. It's usually a single coil that causes the headache ($45 at auto zone) and if you've recently changed your spark plugs, you don't really need to again, just see which cylinder is at fault and pop a coil in it.

By the mileage an age of your car, your problems sound excessive, I would trace the cars roots and make sure its not what we in the dealership industry have dubbed "a katrina car" they're out their, they went for a swim 5 years ago in New Orleans, and they're nightmares!
I just recently bought a Katrina Car. I have affectionately named it KC for just that reason. It has been sitting the entire time (since Katrina) with the front windows all the way down, the sunroof cracked open etc. I plan to go through this car inch by inch, top to bottom inside and out and i also plan to look at its Gizzards. I paid a whopping $ 450.00 for it and it is actually in amazing shape for what it has gone through. With all the talk about coils and computer issues has anyone done a study or gone the extra step to check all the grounding points on the car? I plan on adding some to my car as well as cleaning the Louisiana Bayou out of the ones that are stock on the car now. I'll start a post sometime later or look for one that's open now pertaining to Katrina and show my progress with my project. I do plan to look into the grounding on these cars and I will relay the info.

Went through the same. I know how it feels. Dealer wanted to replace ETC and the throttle position sensor and quoted me 750. I laughed in his face, ordered the ebay coils, and car is good as new. In my 26 months of owning the car, Besides for tranny flush, I replaced the rear rotors and the ignition coils. No more major issues.

Members online

No members online now.
Back