This is Ridiculous

Good info there! I'm going to swing the car by Advance Auto later today and see if their scanner will show anything.

The description in that wells article is EXACTLY what seems to be happening to my car. OK under light load, but get into a high load and it starts to misfire.

Fastbird said:
Were you throwing a MIL (SES) Light??? That's the one thing that I would LIKE to see at this point.

Not sure what that is, but the yellow engine light would either come on steady or blink for a while... I took it in and they read it off and cleared the list of malfunctions so I could then begin to capture more codes if needed.

I got my coils from rockauto.com, 35 bucks a hit, plus shipping. It's a lot cheaper than the 65 a pop Autozone and Retarded Auto want...

Yeah, that little engine light is the SES light. Mine is NOT throwing that.

About the coils at rock auto, those do come with the boots and stuff, right??

yes, they come with the boots. If I remember right, there were borg warner and Motorcraft coils on there.

Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean it hasn't seen something...

kleetus said:
Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean it hasn't seen something...

True. But I scanned it and the computer showed NO set and NO pending codes. It's being stubborn.

No kidding... that is strange... I fed my car a bottle of Mechanics BL-12 and an SUV sized bottle of dry gas beore I figured out what it was. It did run better for a while.

I guess you don't know anyone who has a scanner that could ride along with you?

kleetus said:
I guess you don't know anyone who has a scanner that could ride along with you?

Not a scanner that would show me what I need. Took it out again last night, same story, and still won't throw a freaking code! :Bang

Katie's working tonight, so inbetween working on my 93 Trans Am (lifter swap) and doing nothing, I'm going to take the LS out and rag on it as long as I can to see if I can set a code. I hate to say it but I'm going to punish that car later tonight to see if I can get it to throw a code.

Fastbird, I don't know how many miles are on your car?? But if it's near the 80,000 mark.. You may want to put a fuel pressure gauge in-line. You can tap off the fuel rail. You may have a fuel pump going bad.... Does the car have more power cold??? And after it warms up some then it has a hard time getting over 3000 RPM??? If so that may be your problem. Unlenn the fuel pump craps out totally, you will get no codes or anything. Good Luck!

Fordman said:
Fastbird, I don't know how many miles are on your car?? But if it's near the 80,000 mark.. You may want to put a fuel pressure gauge in-line. You can tap off the fuel rail. You may have a fuel pump going bad.... Does the car have more power cold??? And after it warms up some then it has a hard time getting over 3000 RPM??? If so that may be your problem. Unlenn the fuel pump craps out totally, you will get no codes or anything. Good Luck!

I had to have mine replaced at 90k. Word to the wise if you replace the fuel pumps you have to replace the REM, rear electronic module. The tech at Coutesy had my LS 90 days before he figured that out.

EL, My son had his Mark there 4 times and the couldn't figure it out. We finally got that info from another forum Mark VIII.org. It's a shame when Lincoln dealers can't even figure it out. We had to do it ourselves. And it still costs us diagnosis fee.

Fordman said:

Well, the dealership diagnosed the fuel system the first time the car was in the shop, and said it checked out 100%. But, as long as the schrader valve is near the back of the motor and it's the same size as in on our Trans Am's, I'll have no problem taking the car out with the gauge taped to the windshield.

Oh, and about punishing the car tonight, not going to happen. It's snowing.

Fordman said:
EL, My son had his Mark there 4 times and the couldn't figure it out. We finally got that info from another forum Mark VIII.org. It's a shame when Lincoln dealers can't even figure it out. We had to do it ourselves. And it still costs us diagnosis fee.

Basically if there is not a code their ability to fix it is in the commode.

On a brighter note hardly... I had a tire blow out doing 75 on I75 south this morning just before the big bend exit. The car slide out about 90 degrees and then righted it self. I have to change the tire on the left hand shoulder with morning traffic at my back.

Then on the way home I get the flahing CEL and some very obvious mis-firing. I had my laptop and my scan tool with me and was able to check it, it was on #5 thankfully. #'s 1,2 and 3 are buring under the intake and isn't somehting you can just swap out under the shade tree when you get home. Why don't these misfires throw a solid CEL. The code was left in pending and it was misfiring very badly.

This day has been the most ridiculous in all my years of car ownership. I get the feeling my car doesn't like me.

Hey will a fouled plug throw a P0305 code. I think that is what it read; I prolly should write these things down huh.

Fastbird, They checked my son's fuel system too. And said there was nothing wrong eith also. We found other wise. They didn't put a gauge like we did. As soon as the car started lossing power we saw the pressure drop. After the car sat for 10 min. It was okay again till the pump got hot again.

Fordman said:
Fastbird, They checked my son's fuel system too. And said there was nothing wrong eith also. We found other wise. They didn't put a gauge like we did. As soon as the car started lossing power we saw the pressure drop. After the car sat for 10 min. It was okay again till the pump got hot again.

That is exactally what they had to do. First trip in they did not see a problem. Once they had my car and drove it enough did they finally decide to use the gauge to check the fuel pressure at eh engine. They replaced the pumps and it seemed to stabilize but the repeated. They had the car several more weeks and finally figured out the REM should be replaced. I think the Ford Engineers had to clue them in becasue the tech said they tested the PCM, FEM and REM and found nothing wrong one my first visit.

The fuel pump is just an electric pump isn't it?
Why do you have to replace the REM when you change out the fuel pump?
How much is the new REM?

Fortunately I did not have to find that out. They ate it becasue they screwed up and almost had me killed. My car dies again in traffic the very next day after they said they had it fixed. I was nearly rear ended my a suburban traveling at a high rate of speed.

If it were for the possibility of death or neck and head injury I wish it would have hit me; maybe the insurance company would have totaled it. But the LS does have 5 star safety so it likely would have mangled the SUV and left me with a busted trunk.

Well, hopefully I'll catch a break in the snow long enough to put the fuel pressure gauge on it and see what happens.

I will say this though: If it is indeed losing fuel pressure, I'm going to pitch a fit at the dealership who diagnosed my fuel system as fine after I had the lead tech in the car driving for 15 minutes to show him the difference between how the car acts when cold vs. hot.

Fastbird said:
Well, hopefully I'll catch a break in the snow long enough to put the fuel pressure gauge on it and see what happens.

I will say this though: If it is indeed losing fuel pressure, I'm going to pitch a fit at the dealership who diagnosed my fuel system as fine after I had the lead tech in the car driving for 15 minutes to show him the difference between how the car acts when cold vs. hot.

Give em a good ol' fashioned keel haulin'! i'll show you how to tie the knot if you want.

I'll give them a military flight boot in a size 11 up their you-know-what.

Couple of questions:

How much is that REM that must be replaced with the fuel pumps???

Is there a way to diagnose which fuel pump is failing??

Are both of the pumps in tank, or is there one in tank and one in-line??

Does the rear axle need to be dropped for both, or just the in-tank, and can a hatch be cut above the pump (like on the F-Body cars, which I just did)???

If yes, can someone pinpoint where I would need to cut the hatch??

Looks like it's going to be clear and a million today (the calm before tomorrow's big winter storm). Hopefully I'll be able to get the fuel pressure gauge on it this evening. Not looking forward to it though, it's freaking freezing out!

I could not find a price for the module; you might want to pm mrzeee for that.

In regards to identifying which pump you might as well just replace both while you are in there. The tech that did mine was only able to ID the problem by monitoring fuel line pressure via the guage taped to the windshield.

Both are in the tank.

I do not know enough to tell you if you can cut above the fuel tank but IIRC they fuel pumps are a few inches apart and there is some other device that has to be unplugged before you remove the pumps.

PM me with your email and I will try to get the details to you.

Well, just thought I'd throw a quick reply here. I haven't had time nor weather to diagnose the fuel system yet. But, on a whim, I called Holman Lincoln Mercury up in Maple Shade NJ, and was put on the line with a tech. Very easy to deal with dealership this time (I used Holman Lincoln in Turnersvile NJ last time). This tech quoted me at 1.6 hours per fuel pump labor time to replace!!!!! That doesn't seem right, but hey, if it's that cheap, I may have the dealer do it!

Members online

Back