THIS IS BULL$%!&!!!!!!

luckieleo

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
:Bang i took the headlights out, baked em for 10 mins, i'm sitting here trying to pry them apart now and whoever said they could get the headlights apart in 16 mins. including heat time is a LIAR!!! i have the gray sealant and this is just not easy to pry apart. i'm cracking the black plastic part all over. so i just stuck it in the oven for another 5 minutes, if this doesnt work, i'm just gonna buy 2k2's already cleared out headlights!!! i was trying to save the money since it sounded easy enough, but this is not easy!!!!!

yes, the car is a 2000. yes, the sealant is gray, yes the oven is at 250 degrees. yes, i'm using a screwdriver to pry them apart, and yes my arm is killing me!!!! once im done with this one (if that ever happens) i wont even feel like doing the other one. :Bang

i could be speaking too soon. gonna give it one more try.

havnt had foggy headlights yet, but i assure you, after today, i will! :soapbox:

I jacked up the heat to 285, put them in for 5 mins, loosened the seal, and put them back in for 10 more mins, and they came apart with some effort. I put gloves on and pulled them apart.

It's not as easy as everyone says, you're not making brownies, you're dismantling a headlight.

SurfjaxLS said:
I jacked up the heat to 285, put them in for 5 mins, loosened the seal, and put them back in for 10 more mins, and they came apart with some effort. I put gloves on and pulled them apart.

It's not as easy as everyone says, you're not making brownies, you're dismantling a headlight.

hmmmm... good idea...they're gonna cook, now! this better work. i know i didnt screw up my headlights for nothing!! :(

SurfjaxLS said:

Mmmm, brownies.

Dutch said:
Mmmm, brownies.

yup! exactly what i was thinking...

so, thats it. after 4 tries, and ZERO success, i QUIT!!! :Bang

i wasted an hour of my life that i can never have back, and my hands hurt like hell!!! but oh well, i'm just gonna buy them off of someone! just my luck, i go to try & do something and cant even finish it! :(

whatever... at least i know i'll never attempt that again! props to all of you who actually have the patience to clear out your amber turnlamps.

Cliffnotes: I SUCK!!! :mad:

SurfjaxLS said:

guess i better stick to making brownies, huh... :(
(i do make pretty good brownies!! :) )

I use 210degrees for 10mins. I have had mine apart 6 times.

2k2ls said:

hey if you guys were in the midwest chapter, i would make you some brownies & you could come out here & do this for me. :Beer

i swear though, this glue would NOT soften!!!!! its the gray stuff too, no doubt about that! i pried all the edges out, then tried prying some more and this stupid :q:q:q:q would not budge!!!! i'm not weak either!!! :N

all this talk about brownies, i'm gonna buy some stuff & make me some brownies. :monkey: not tonight though. i dont wanna go NEAR the oven!!!

dertyclown said:
try a heat gun it helps sooooooooo much

too late, i quit. i'll have clear corners, but i'm not doing them. :wrench

im buying some already made. i dont have much patience left.... :bash:

its really as easy as they say it is ive done mine 4 times, and theyve come apart fine. for me its the getting them back together. theres soo much epoxy and sealant on them that they barely go back together i get leaks ever now and again,. now i put hot glue on the corners all around and covered in silicon. it better not leak. but its simple to take aprt. sorry for they hour you lost.

itsnotmydaddys said:
its really as easy as they say it is ive done mine 4 times, and theyve come apart fine. for me its the getting them back together. theres soo much epoxy and sealant on them that they barely go back together i get leaks ever now and again,. now i put hot glue on the corners all around and covered in silicon. it better not leak. but its simple to take aprt. sorry for they hour you lost.

now i'm thinking maybe the previous owner had fogging problems. (i bought my 2000 ls in 2003, so its possible) and went to the dealership & had them resealed. but i swear, i baked those things at first for 8mins @ 250* and glue was only a little tacky, but not moving, tried again, tried again, then finally tried again way hotter than reccomended (left the oven ON and put them in for 12 minutes), for longer time than recommended & that glue got tacky but not soft enough to pry apart & would just dry right up in like 2 minutes. i was cracking the plastic around it cuz i had to pry it w/the screwdriver so damn forcefully, i had my dad try to help me pull it apart, and that stuff just was not budging!! somethings definitely not right about my headlights!!! :dissapointment: :(

luckieleo said:
too late, i quit. i'll have clear corners, but i'm not doing them. :wrench

im buying some already made. i dont have much patience left.... :bash:

Sounds like your headlights have been re-sealed or something. Don't feel bad. A lot of people exaggerate their times and such. 30 minutes for valve cover gaskets and crap like that. Right...It takes me 15 minutes just to get the car in the garage, up on jack stands and all my tools in order for a job.

lsbit said:
Sounds like your headlights have been re-sealed or something. Don't feel bad. A lot of people exaggerate their times and such. 30 minutes for valve cover gaskets and crap like that. Right...It takes me 15 minutes just to get the car in the garage, up on jack stands and all my tools in order for a job.

:wipes tears away: :end sobbing: ... :) thanks for sticking up for me.. ha! yeah, some people just have better luck than me.. hence the name "luckie" "leo" its kind of a sarcastic name i picked cuz i'm NOT very lucky. this is just one more instance where something that could be simple didnt work for me. :(

thats okay, i just sent the money for the already cleared corner headlights. i feel better now.
i'm about to order the fogs now too! :L

itsnotmydaddys...
Thanks for the plug for my website... :steering

I made that manual a long time ago when I opened my 1st set of Lincoln ls headlamps. Man...i should have patent that!!! :Bang

luckieleo...
if it is the gray glue they should open up. The only problem glue is the black glue....Email me, I may be able to give you a hand in making a clear corner set of lamps...Im also working on a prototype set..I hope to have pictures in a day or two....

Eleanor

Members online

No members online now.
Back