thinking of gettin a navi....

vicls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So im thinking of getting a navi between 2003-2006 i think the best year for the navi exterior and interior wise. Quick questions for navi owners. I already own a 2002 lincoln ls v8 and love it so just thinking of getting a navi since i love them as well. How are these trucks? How is the engine? What is your gas mileage like? Any common thing that goes wrong with these trucks? Whats a good rim size 24 or 26's? If yall can help me out that would be awesome i want to add another lincoln too the expanding lincoln family :cool:

Go with the 2005-2006 body. They made some adjustments to the Navi for those years. 6 speed tranny, 3 valve per cylinder motor. Among many other little things. I had an 2003 and it was a nightmare.

Not a fan of the new ones.... hate the front end but ugly... interior is sick though. But yea so 03 is a bad year? So 05- 06 is a good year? How about 04? What problems you had with the 03?

I don't know where to start on the 03...
All 4 wheels had to be replaced, rack and pinion, rear end whine had to be fixed, front seat cushions replaced, rear air conditioning unit had to be re-mounted, tail gate motor came loose and was hanging in the tail gate, a/c seat quit working, a mysterious leak under the hood would happen and then vanish at times- still never figured that one out. 3 door latches replaced, all 4 weather stips replaced, mirror motor replaced, problems with the running boards, side cladding came loose, car started to have a very rough idle at stop lights around 30000k, nasty whirring sound during start-up sometimes and loud booming sound at start-up other times- both of which were never fixed.
It was in the shop for 76 days total. And I still ost the buy-back option that Ford claims they give if the vehicle is on the shop for more than 45 days total with under factorey warranty.
Ford's favorite words to say are "we couldn't duplicate the problem".
Bought with 17000k, traded it with 46000k.
From what I have heard over time, the 05-06 had a better build quality.
But to be perfectly honest if I ever do get another one. It will be the new bodystyle. Everthing was redone, and it is a Consumer Report best buy.

How was your gas mileage? Seems to me you a got a lemon because my buddies never had any problems with there navis... 04-06 range

I got an 04 last year and just love it. Its been from indy to mississippi, detroit, numerous places in ohio and have had no problems.:) :) :)

My gas mileage was 12.5 in town on premium, but I have to also add in that at that time I did not know you could reset the mileage. The 6 speed tranny supposedly helped a little with gas mileage.
Honestly, I am still very taken everytime I see a monotone edition black Navigator. They are truely one of the best looing vehicles on the road. Keep us posted...

My gas mileage was 12.5 in town on premium, but I have to also add in that at that time I did not know you could reset the mileage. The 6 speed tranny supposedly helped a little with gas mileage.
Honestly, I am still very taken everytime I see a monotone edition black Navigator. They are truely one of the best looing vehicles on the road. Keep us posted...

My buddy drives a escalade and he always uses regular... you have to use premium on the navi? I also agree with you by far nicest looking suvs way better then the escalade especaily the 03-06 they kill it on the interior....

Yes, just like LS's the engine was designed to run on 93, the 1998-2006 Navi's were as well. The newest bodystyle Escalade is designed to run on 93, while the previous generations ran on 87. The 07 and newer Navi's were designed to run on 87.

Yes, just like LS's the engine was designed to run on 93, the 1998-2006 Navi's were as well. The newest bodystyle Escalade is designed to run on 93, while the previous generations ran on 87. The 07 and newer Navi's were designed to run on 87.

thats so weird so old ones ran on 93 and now new ones run on 87 while escalade old ones ran on 87 and new ones run on 93 ahahah

Lincoln decided to have their engines perform on regular to help aide in lower fill-up prices. Caddy has their new higher performance engines (i.e. CTS, Escalade) that have to use premium to get the numbers so high.

Lincoln decided to have their engines perform on regular to help aide in lower fill-up prices. Caddy has their new higher performance engines (i.e. CTS, Escalade) that have to use premium to get the numbers so high.

nice so gas mileage on the navis aren't too bad 13-15 isn't too bad for a big v8...

Not ALL Navis were designed to use 93 octane. The owner's manual for my 1999 states:

"Your vehicle is designed to use "Regular" unleaded gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as "Regular" that are sold with octane ratings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas.

If there is a "Premium Fuel Recommended/Required" label in the fuel filler door area, your vehicle is designed to use "Premuim" gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 91 or higher for optimum performance. Gasolines with lower octane ratings can be used, but performance may decrease. We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as "Premium" in high altitude areas that are sold with octane ratings of less than 91."

My '99 was built in September of '98, so it isn't the 4-valve engine that was installed in later '99 model-year Navis. I would suspect that's why mine runs strong on 87 octane fuel. And the '98 Expedition XLT with the 5.4 that my Navigator replaced only required 87, too. Since I can only speak from experience for my particular SUVs, you just need to check the owner's manual or the fuel door and see if premium is recommended if you find a Navi you want to buy.

I have a 2005 Navigator -- only run regular in it -- just got back from a trip from Wisconsin to Florida and back -- put 3,000 on the car -- averaged 17.4 mpg for the entire trip --that's with cruising between 70-75 on the highways, along with some city driving -- very happy (and pleasantly surprised) with the vehicle's mileage.

we just picked up this 2001 for $3,400 bucks loaded all up runs and drives absolutely beautiful, this is our second one, had a 98 4.6 this 01 is a 5.4 4x4
204k miles on it and looks and drives like 60k
navigator027.jpg

navigator026.jpg

2003 Navigator

Have a 2003 Navigator at just over 53,000 miles. No troubles at all. Mileage is 13 ish in the city and 17 or 18 on the highway. Gotta keep the air pressure up in the tires to get the best mileage. Had FORD run the service history and there's not much been done to the truck since new. Like it alot. Had Aviator prior but traded cause the throttle wouldn't shut down when I took my foot off the gas - drove me crazy enough to sell the truck.

Only issue I have so far is that the suspension allows lots of shocks to come up through the body. Maybe it's the OEM tires I still have on at 53K?

we just picked up this 2001 for $3,400 bucks loaded all up runs and drives absolutely beautiful, this is our second one, had a 98 4.6 this 01 is a 5.4 4x4
204k miles on it and looks and drives like 60k
navigator027.jpg

navigator026.jpg

That is SO CLEAN!!! And 204K miles. The finish looks great. Is it an original Florida 'Gator (no pun intended)? I would guess the interior is equally as clean, no?

Ross

it spent its first 3 years in new jersey, then 5 years in orlando. the interior is clean now, it was really nasty, not wrecked just dirty looks great now. i spent 30 hours wet sanding parts of it, cutting the clearcoat and buffing it. the paint was so dull the truck looked grey when we first saw it, but i looked it over well and saw no faded clearcoat, just neglect, i knew it would shine up nice. you would never guess the miles looking at it or riding in it, they did take great care of it mechanically, its all highway miles back and forth from florida to jersey. they just never heard of wax!!!

Members online

Back