They Must Be Joking

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Joke_Ad.jpg

Joke_Ad.jpg

Thats a high one... according to their site, market is $8299! making that a deal!

Used 2000 Lincoln LS V6
Images
Used 2000 Lincoln LS V6
Type: Used Miles:209,143Stock #:15553B
Leather; Dual Zone A/C; Aluminum Wheels; Edmunds Editors` Most Wanted Entry Luxury Sedan. SEE MORE!======KEY FEATURES INCLUDE: Leather Seats; Aluminum Wheels; Dual Zone A/C Keyless Entry; Remote Trunk Release; Child Safety Locks; Steering Wheel Controls; Heated Mirrors. ======EXPERTS RAVE: Motor Trend Car of the Year. ======VISIT US TODAY: Our customers are the key to our longevity. For 50 years; we`ve been offering them outstanding products and services; and they have responded by returning to us and bringing their family and friends. Fugate Ford of Enumclaw recently celebrated its 50th year of automotive excellence. Please confirm the accuracy of the included equipment by calling us prior to purchase. (less)
Carfax Vehicle Report
Market Price:$8,299

Get e-Price
800-640-5523
Request Information Schedule Test Drive Get Pre-Approved Compare

It's simple: don't buy cheap cars at dealers.

It's a game. They prey on people who need to finance a $3000 car but don't trust Moe's Used Cars in the bad part of town with their credit info. The dealer marks up the price to make a profit, marks it up to cover operating cost, and marks it up just for the sole purpose of marking it down when you start talking numbers to make you think it's a great deal now at $6000. My place does the first markdown as soon as it goes on the lot. It'll say 9000 on the window sticker, then have a bright tag on the mirror that says "was 8000, now 7000"

I wouldn't buy anything used at a dealer unless it's certified pre-owned and less than 4 years old, or if it's really the exact car you want.

But $8000 for an obsolete car with enough age and mileage that it comes with a Last Rites hotline number in the glovebox? You're right, they must be joking.

WOW, thats all I can really say about that...

but then again, it was the 2000 MT car of the year! lol might be worth it if it came with the award plaque.

most ppl looking at that car arent looking at the price per car.
they only understand the price per week/month/sometimes even day.
ppl w/o basic financial skills lose every business transaction

the way some ppl here talk about their love for this particular model there might be someone out there willing to buy.

theres also something to be said about a 'newish' car that doesnt come with on-star or equivalent <spying>, kill switch, gps tracker, hackable wireless networks, computerized overrides of braking/acceleration, etc etc built into the car. most modern car drivers have no clue that their car can be disabled remotely via the kill switch...

the way some ppl here talk about their love for this particular model there might be someone out there willing to buy.

theres also something to be said about a 'newish' car that doesnt come with on-star or equivalent <spying>, kill switch, gps tracker, hackable wireless networks, computerized overrides of braking/acceleration, etc etc built into the car. most modern car drivers have no clue that their car can be disabled remotely via the kill switch...

With several new car models available in the $15k and below price range (with 100k mile warranty's), I just can't see anyone paying $15k for a 10-year old used car.

I just can't see anyone paying $15k for a 10-year old used car.

well at least THAT 10 year old car...

I have been looking at a couple of 11 year old Terminators for right around those prices!

i wouldnt do $15k for it but i would take an 05 ls w 30k for whatever private party value is on that over like a.. umm.. new chevy sonic or somethin similar

My dad used to be in the used car business for a short time. An honest man can't do that for a living. Whatever the down payment is, that's what the dealer actually has in the car. Anything else is gravy. If the buyer misses a payment, the dealer isn't out a thing when he repossesses, and the next person will be charged the same down payment.

Sad for people too, anyone who bought a car from my dad when he was a dealer got an actual working car that was worth the asking price. he just couldn't take the dishonesty of his partners which is why he left the business.

My dad used to be in the used car business for a short time. An honest man can't do that for a living. Whatever the down payment is, that's what the dealer actually has in the car. Anything else is gravy. If the buyer misses a payment, the dealer isn't out a thing when he repossesses, and the next person will be charged the same down payment.

Sad for people too, anyone who bought a car from my dad when he was a dealer got an actual working car that was worth the asking price. he just couldn't take the dishonesty of his partners which is why he left the business.

yea i could completely see that happening to someone. the way you would have to look at it is: this customer is going to get lit up by some dealer, period. if you do the 'right' thing, they are just going to go somewhere else and be their 'mark'... not doing your best to get the sale is not going to educate that person or prevent them from getting hosed down by someone else, so you might as well do it yourself and treat them with some respect... when it comes down to it, the situation you just described isnt dishonest at all... that buyer should know what they can and cant afford, unless they had subsequent unforseen circumstance/emergency/etc.

he just couldn't take the dishonesty of his partners which is why he left the business.

I'm just gonna throw it out there that the business has changed. Well, most of them. In a world with internet reviews, corporate survey reviews, digital records, and price shopping from your desk across a 50 mile radius, any significant dealers can't afford to be as shady as they're perceived to be. Yes, you're going to find shady or forceful dealers, yes you'll find sketchy salesman, but there's a lot of power and magic behind getting up and leaving if you don't feel comfortable with the situation and there's plenty of other dealers to visit.

Also, things like Carmax's "No Haggle Price" throws a wrench in the markup scheme.

I'm just gonna throw it out there that the business has changed. Well, most of them. In a world with internet reviews, corporate survey reviews, digital records, and price shopping from your desk across a 50 mile radius, any significant dealers can't afford to be as shady as they're perceived to be. Yes, you're going to find shady or forceful dealers, yes you'll find sketchy salesman, but there's a lot of power and magic behind getting up and leaving if you don't feel comfortable with the situation and there's plenty of other dealers to visit.

Also, things like Carmax's "No Haggle Price" throws a wrench in the markup scheme.

I live in Portland (OR) and the practice of opening a lot, selling some cars, and then move the lot and change your name 6 months later still happens often. Dealers will pop up on an empty lot with 100 cars and 6 months later, overnight, the lot is empty. We have only a few used car dealers that have been in the same location for years. One has been in the same spot for 40 years and I've bought, and sold, a car from him. My sister in law also bought a car from him based on my recommendation.

My general recommendation to people is that if you can change out an Alternator, you can do your own shopping for a used car. If you need to make an appointment at Firestone to get new wiper blades installed, take a friend with you when you go used car shopping.

I live in Portland (OR) and the practice of opening a lot, selling some cars, and then move the lot and change your name 6 months later still happens often. Dealers will pop up on an empty lot with 100 cars and 6 months later, overnight, the lot is empty. We have only a few used car dealers that have been in the same location for years. One has been in the same spot for 40 years and I've bought, and sold, a car from him. My sister in law also bought a car from him based on my recommendation.

My general recommendation to people is that if you can change out an Alternator, you can do your own shopping for a used car. If you need to make an appointment at Firestone to get new wiper blades installed, take a friend with you when you go used car shopping.

not true at all really. lots of ppl who can change an alternator have zero understanding of the business side of the three transactions that typically occur when a 'lead' becomes a 'customer'... most ppl dont even realize that there are usually 3 seperate transactions instead of 1...

not true at all really. lots of ppl who can change an alternator have zero understanding of the business side of the three transactions that typically occur when a 'lead' becomes a 'customer'... most ppl dont even realize that there are usually 3 seperate transactions instead of 1...

My post was making a reference to knowledge of car buying, not car sellers.

right.. when ppl go to buy a car (1) they typically finance it (2) and sell their old car (3)
thats 3 transactions that are easily rolled into one thousands of times every day...
im just saying that theres plenty of ppl who can turn a wrench that get nailed on a used <or new> car bc they dont understand the business end of it

for instance, i know someone who can do anything with a wrench.. he walked onto a lot, test drove a vehicle, went inside and sat down. they threw a bunch of papers in front of him and told him to sign. he didnt even know that he had bought the vehicle, got a loan, or that he overpaid by about $10k... he should have consulted a person with basic business skills before he even set foot on the lot

likewise, ppl who cant turn a wrench should consult someone who can before they set foot on a lot for anything used

I live in Portland (OR) and the practice of opening a lot, selling some cars, and then move the lot and change your name 6 months later still happens often. Dealers will pop up on an empty lot with 100 cars and 6 months later, overnight, the lot is empty.

Fair enough, I was talking about new car dealers though. Either way, you should be able to get a feel for how sketchy the place is within a few minutes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back