Theives!! Need an alarm!

FrankLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So i woke up last saturday to a sad sight. My LS had been broken into. The theives had broken the drivers side window with a rock and attempted to steal my stock radio. I guess someone saw them and scared them away because they didnt finish the job. So my LS was towed and im now driving a G6. :mad:
I didnt know the car alarm only went off if the door is opened. I purchased the Viper 5902 with some add ons. Has anyone used the 5902? I searched and didnt find any threads on this alarm.

2011-03-05 12.11.10 (Medium).jpg

2011-03-05 12.11.20 (Medium).jpg

2011-03-05 12.13.16 (Medium).jpg

I'm a little puzzled---(By the way, BUMMER on the break-in). I've set my alarm off by slamming the trunk lid. Is my '02 Sport set up differently than your car?

(And btw one more time, it's 'i' before 'e', except after 'c'.:D)

KS

Wow, surprised that thieves would actually go after an OEM head unit. I would think there's a very narrow market for that (even on the black market).

I feel your pain, man. Mine was broken into last fall and ended up being about $7300.00 worth of damage. They took my Pioneer F90BT, my iPod Classic 160 Gb, and all the aftermarket harnesses that I had installed.

At least they didn't screw up the dash pad - that's $4300.00 alone, and finding a decent used one is pretty tough.

yeah i read a few threads on how much damage some guys ended up with. The repairs to my LS are only 2k and i should be getting it back on thursday. Once i get it back, its off to best buy for the install. I pretty much baught the best alarm i could get (i think). I have found no info on the viper 5902 in the forums. I wanted to get some reviews from an LS owner.

I'm a little puzzled---(By the way, BUMMER on the break-in). I've set my alarm off by slamming the trunk lid. Is my '02 Sport set up differently than your car?

(And btw one more time, it's 'i' before 'e', except after 'c'.:D)

KS

Yeah ive never been much of a speller. I talked to the Ford dealership and they told me that the stock alarm on my car has no shock sensors. I was a bit surprised. He said the only way my alarm would trigger would be by opening the door. The thieves broke the window. The door was still locked when I walked up to it in the morning. The service guy said, ford would charge "about" 250 to upgrade the stock alarm with the shock sensors and remote start.

This is the stuff i baught. Viper 5902 alarm, Bypass module, backup battery system and the viper luminescent indicator light. Got it all for 405 off the internet.

2011-03-14 14.25.59 (Medium).jpg

I believe there was a thread on this.. You have to push the lock button twice (until it honks) for it to activate..

Ive always done this. So i assumed i was good. My car is parked about 20 ft away from my apartment. Im not a heavy sleeper and if the alarm would have sounded i would of woken up. Talked to the neighbors and they heard nothing either. The theives just ended up taking the ac control module which cost Geico 623 dlls.

Man that sucks. I had my 00 broke into 2 years ago. The kid only stole my laptop. Which I got back when he tried to pawn it. Fortunately he missed the $6,000 PLC to my machine. I would have been out a job if he wouldhave known what it was and took it as well.

WTF is a PLC?? lol

EDIT, nvrmind Google Owns.. lol

IIRC, I thought that pressing the lock button twice would detach the rods from the lock actuators so that slim jimming wasn't possible. I could re-look that up in my owners manual, I think that's were I read it.

250 for shock sensor and remote start, from the factory would be a steal! I would get it right now for that price. :D

I believe there was a thread on this.. You have to push the lock button twice (until it honks) for it to activate..

i tend not to make the horn honk (double click the fob) and my alarm will still go of if say, you dont close the door or trunk on the first try

I had a 5901 installed a few weeks back. I'm going to add the proximity sensor when I have time. It's the same as the 5902, main difference is the color display on the remote for the 5902. Someone made a thread when their ls was broken in to a few weeks back. Someone also posted there that the alarm would go off only if the door would've been opened, so 2 weeks later, I got the 5901 installed. Works good, I think I set the sensitivity on the shock sensor too high because some car's exhaust make it go off.

I had a viper 350 on my old blazer before the LS and loved the thing 2 way pager is the way to go and you cant go wrong with a viper alarm in my opinion.

HOLY COW. I just saw your sig pic FRANKLS... i want pictures of the truck! details! is that a suicidedoors setup i see...

Best alarm is to keep a pistol nearby to let a possible thief know you mean business.

I hate people that are too lazy to work for the things they want in life.

they told me that the stock alarm on my car has no shock sensors. I was a bit surprised.

why, this is how almost all factory systems are, there are a few dealer add ons for shock sensors, but this is the biggest reason that factory systems are pretty weak.

second, i would take back that old ass battery back up they sold you, if a thief is smart enough to kill the alarm, the standard battery back up wont take them much longer to deal with, (a) most common way of shutting off an alarm is to just cut the siren's wires, the alarm can go off as long as it wants to, if it cant send power to the siren, then its not going to make any noise. (b) if they are really hard core and find the system brain, they can just cut the power supple going to the alarm brain itself and render the battery useless.

the newer DEI 515R model
Amazon.com: Install Essentials 515R Self-Powered Rechargeable 6-Tone Siren: Electronics
actually has the battery built in to the siren, so even if they did cut the wires right at the siren, it will still go off (even if the alarm is not triggered somehow) the only way to shut this off is with a special security key, the only thing that the thief could do is rip off the siren and throw it, which in the middle of the night will still make a hell of a racket.

Best alarm is to keep a pistol nearby to let a possible thief know you mean business.
if you really want a good alarm, you should just get a viper, a real fukcing snake.lol just dont feed it enough and it will take care of any thiefs around (best part is that they cant come back ant try it again later)

I'm going to add the proximity sensor when I have time.
honestly alex, im not a huge fan, they just seem to add too many false alarms. they also have their short comings, object that move slow enough can reach right in and grab stuff with out setting them off, and they are a pain in the@ss to get just right, either not sensitive enough, or it gives the warn away from people just walking by in parking lots. usually the only time i recommend them is for convertibles.

That sucks. Damn thieves.:mad: Why the hell would they want to steal a OEM headunit?:confused: Unless they have a LS. Its useless. I can understand the thief trying to steal the THX unit. It looks aftermarket. That is f@#ked up.

no, no, you got it all wrong, the thief does have a LS but his air conditioner doesn't work, the OP should check to make sure that his DCCV wasn't also taken.lol

I guess i should invest in one too after seeing this thread.

the best defense against thieves is good insurance, even with an alarm, a car of mine got broke into, the alarm kept them from taking anything, but there was still a lot of damage done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back