theft problem car wont start

helpmenow

New LVC Member
Reaction score
please help me , i have a theft problem and the car wont start i called a dealer and they told me to disconnect the battery for a half hour the try to start it , i got to admit that it almost starts 1 time then its back to just cranking its a 1996 caddillac deville with a 4.6 ltr ..................any ideas ? :bow: :

If you're getting messages about the anti-theft device then it's probably the VATS reader. Or you're using the wrong key with an incorrect VATS chip in it.

Please elaborate

i have the vehicle ,hanes manuel for this car cld u specify the meaning of VATS , id appreciate it ty for the insite though.

theft system problen car may not restart

please specify what VATS stands for to lead me in the right direction , i have the manuel on this car , plz help?
:feedback

Vehicle Anti Theft System. It's a resistor in the key that tells the car you didn't pick or break the ignition cylinder. The message that your getting indicates a problem with the system reading that resistor. Whether it be the key, the cylinder, or the VATS decoder (computer).

thanx but.......

codewize said:
Vehicle Anti Theft System. It's a resistor in the key that tells the car you didn't pick or break the ignition cylinder
i was using this key to start the car all along but now this message apears <PROBLEM WITH THEFT SYSTEM /VEHICLE MAY NOT START>,IVE CLEANED the resistor and it still doesnt solve the problem,ive checked all the fuses they r good , ive checked all the relays ,still no sucess,if i onley knew what component to check , id be in business? :zgreenbou

It's not that easy. There are two other components. The contacts in the cylinder and the decoder or VATS reader.

The decoder is an additional computer which is usually found in a very difficult place to get to. Mine in the STS is buried inside the dash way up high.

To sum it up. If the contacts in the ignition cylinder are worn then you need to replace the cylinder. A way to test this is to measure the resistance of the key and get a resistor of that exact rating.

Locate the pink wire, I think it's pink. Maybe it's yellow but you'll see it. It will have a small plug on it right there at the base of the steering column. Unplug it. Jump the side going to the computer, not up the steering column, with the resistor.

If the problem goes away it's the cylinder. If not it's the reader (decoder)

I have a 99 deville and occasionally i would get the THEFT SYSTEM PROBLEM CAR MAY NOT RESTART message. I took it into the dealership and they said that the wires that are in the ignition for the theft system were breaking down, so they had to be replaced. It was an $80 part.

Yup, that would be the contacts in the ignition cylinder. I've had mine done a couple times. Don't worry it will happen again in a few years.

Members online

No members online now.
Back