The pain of an LS

ssmoparviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Alrighty here I go with my LS starting to have problems. For starters I have a 2006 LS and after doing a bevy of repairs to it in the last year I finally rebuilt my front end yesterday. With that out of the way I thought I was in the clear for problems until the drive home. On the way home the LS started running rough but was still driving fine. Then the CEL came on. When I got home I pulled the codes and got a P0171 and a P0174 so I got on here and did a search to find a number of different causes for these codes. Ive since then I have check most of what I found but everything seemed fine.

So Ive recently replaced the plugs and a fuel filter. It has been a few weeks since Ive done it. Could these or something around these be part of the problem?

If you're going to replace plugs, replace all of your coils at the same time with OEM replacements. If you do one without the other, you're literally burning your money.

Well that's good to know. By the time this is all done with I might be having to replace the coils. I hope not.

check for any vacuum leaks you may *or may not* have caused when changing
plugs. a vacuum leak will cause a lean condition / code as well, so don't assume
right away its one specific thing or another...

I do think that an air leak is the most likely thing to check for. It's also very important to make sure that the gap on all of those plugs is at 1.0mm. Even though the plugs are supposed to be pre-gap'd, I always find at least a few that are wrong.

Just grabbed a better scan tool from a friend and it s all pointing to bank 2 for the problem. I no am only getting P0174 and a miss fire cylinder 2 so I think I know where its coming from. Lets hope!

Nailed it!

A little bit of dielectric grease on coil number two and the LS is back in business... Looks like I will be buying new coils after reading all of the threads about misfires and everything. So any oppressions on it coils other then Motorcraft?

Not if you like the car. Or want to do the accel conversion

Motorcraft, or no complaints about the results...

If you drive it long enough, the computer will probably pull up some more codes that may indicate what the issue is. Scanned the car, got both lean codes. Came back 3 days later, and it pulled up an EGR malfunction. Ordered an EGR Solenoid since there was no vacuum leaks. Still waiting for it, should be here in the next couple days. DPFE sensor was working.

If you drive it long enough, the computer will probably pull up some more codes that may indicate what the issue is. Scanned the car, got both lean codes. Came back 3 days later, and it pulled up an EGR malfunction. Ordered an EGR Solenoid since there was no vacuum leaks. Still waiting for it, should be here in the next couple days. DPFE sensor was working.

What code did you get for your EGR problem? I have a P1309 that won't go away, despite all new components, including the differential pressure sensor and tubing, solenoid and valve itself. Supposedly it is a high resistance to the solenoid after looking further into it. The initial web search called that code a "egr flow detected at idle" but my scanner called it the high resistance to the solenoid coil instead. I'm just trying to say that it may never go away, so don't be discouraged if you can't fix it.

Thanks Joe, I screwed up. It is actually a P1409 bothering my car.

I would completely check and test the wiring to the vacuum solenoid valve that controls the EGR valve. Since you've changed the solenoid, only two possibilities should remain.
1. There is an open in the wiring somewhere between the valve and the PCM. (more likely)
2. There is a failure internal to the PCM. (less likely)

Members online

No members online now.
Back