Test Drove Mark 8 Need Opinions

wm_sorg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I test drive a 1993 mark 8. Had a few questions. First off I noticed that the 32v 4.6 did not have as much torque as my 16v 4.6. Honestly I did not feel much of a difference in power. Is this normal?

Also the check engine light came on for a few seconds and then went off. Is this normal. When my 94 4.6 tbird was throwing codes they stayed on.

Otherwise the car was solid. Had a slight virbation around 70-75 that would smooth out when you hit 80 or went down to 65. I suspect this is the drive shaft issue I have been reading about.

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
BILL

ok, well it sounds like there might be a misfire( very unperceptible at that) or the 02's are going. that would drop the torque, and make a CEL that goes on and goes off. because there is no way that the mark should feel worse than a t-bird. that vibration would more than likely be the driveshaft (atleast i feel it in mine), yes. actually, didnt the 93 have a single piece drive shaft? someone else help me out with that one but this is just one man's opinion. wait till the other guys chime in, i might be wrong.

The EARLY 93s had the one-piece driveshaft IIRC. Check the build date, it could be a late '93. But it could also have other problems such as wheels, u-joints, bushings and such.

The intermittent CE on the EEC-IV will most likely be the oxygen sensors or EGR. A code reader will tell the stored DTCs.

I'm not sure what the stock flywheel torque numbers are but suffice to say the DOHC does not build torque till the upper half of the RPM band compared to the SOHC.

The DOHC motors (ours and just about any other) are known not to make alot of torque right out of the box. SOHC motors make much more torque right out of the box. That is the reason behind the difference between your current car, and the Mark VIII.

Like driller said your intermittent CE light is most likely either O2 sensors or the EGR.

As for the vibration, again, driller is right, the 93 came with a one piece driveshaft and should not really have the vibration problem. I have had mine to over 120 and have not had any vibration, but if you do it could be out of balance wheels, u-joints (depending on the mileage this could be the cause), or bushings.
:Beer

Not very many '93's had the one-piece. Somebody needs to nail down the date that they switched to the 2 piece. That said, not very many 93's, 1 or 2 piece vibrated. I would look elsewhere as some of the other gents have mentioned. I would replace the O'2's right away. Along with plugs and air/fuel filters, etc.

As far as the torque, I will try to post the torques curves for the 2 cars. Out of the box, the 2 valve Bird WILL feel stronger. At least the 1st 30 feet. After that, say bye bye. The Mark will continue to build and build all the way up the curve with very little drop off after 5000 rpm. Especially 2nd and 3rd gears, the Mark is really strong and will run away from the Bird.

Check the 60ft and mph traps times for the 2 cars.

I know I raced a Bird a couple months ago and he got the jump and stayed even from 65 to 80. After that, I was pulling hard. On the street we went at it again going around a corner around 25 mph and I caught 1st gear, kept the rear from creeping around and just blew by him like he was standing still.

25 and u shifted back down to 1st? How the f did u keep connected? I'd windup in a 180 and stopping at a telephone pole, :(

Vibrachon

it is quick to asume that it is driveshaft, or an axel. Checkthe tierod ends it is a ford. or even the ballanceing would give you that. the eheck engen light Well you know it works I would get it scaned, My 1997 had that. and I asked them to check it out for me and they took the light out. and neaver fixed the problem. :steering

Members online

No members online now.
Back