Teaser pic, custom box.

FrankLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So as some of you may know Ive been shopping around and stocking up on supplies to beef up my electrical and install a new sub set up. I am still waiting on the sub and amp so will not start my installation probably until early next month.

Heres just a few pics of the nearly finished sub box. Still need carpeting and bracing. 2.28 cubes (after sub and port displacement), tuned to 34.99 hz. It is made out of 3/4 mdf.

I beleive this is the biggest sub box you can possibly fit in the LS without removing the stock subs, having access to the spare compartment and withough having to notch the sides to accomodate the trunk shape. In one of the side pics you can see how i even had to sand down the back top corners in order for the box to push in a few more cm to allow access to the spare compartment. We even angled the top of the from baffle forward, in order to gain a few more squar inches. We could not angle it too much as then the subwoofer magnet may make contact with the upper part of the box. A very very tight fit.

I will start a full install and build thread once my sub and amp come in.

CIM4G0013 (Medium).JPG

CIM4G0017 (Medium).JPG

CIM4G0020 (Medium).JPG

CIMG40005 (Medium).JPG

CIMG40007 (Medium).JPG

CIMG40016 (Medium).JPG

CIMG40019 (Medium).JPG

lookin good man can't wait to see it in the trunk, looks like an 18'' correct? i'v thought about to 12''s with the port in the back of the box blowing thru a whole behind the rear seat arm rest, still not sure yet. keep us posted

lookin good man can't wait to see it in the trunk, looks like an 18'' correct? i'v thought about to 12''s with the port in the back of the box blowing thru a whole behind the rear seat arm rest, still not sure yet. keep us posted

Its actually for one 12". I dont think an 18 would be possible and keep the access to the spare. The max height of the box you can fit is about a 13 1/2" and thats only the front because the tunk gets narrower as you get closer to the rear seats. This is the biggest thing you can fit in our small trunks. A box like this one could work well for 2 12's, depending on the subs you plan on running.

Thats how my box was shaped, but I had the front @ a flat 90' angle still.

Good work. Is that a KHC2400 I spy back there? Or a 2000.

Also a soccer ball? (fag)

lol jk

Looks good.

I think I'm going to do a custom box myself soon, when I get my car back

Really nice work, Makes me really to make my own box.

soccer ball.

Lmao:dancefool

I'm actually going to run a xl 12 in this box. Hopefully the specs of the box will suit the sub well. Now got to wait on dc for the sub. I baught an aq 2200 for it.
That's actualy an hc2000, was not trying to place in pic, just don't know whereto put that sucker other than the living room. I got 3 sub boxes in the closet and have no room!
I would deff recomend to either build your own box or get one custom made.
We were lucky. This box is such a perfect fit. An cm more in any direction would of been a disaster.
Won't finish the box until I get the sub. Need to make sure the motor will clear the top of the box, pretty sure it will. Gotta be ready to modify if necessary.

Thanks guys. Very excited about the box.

The max height of the box you can fit is about a 13 1/2" and thats only the front because the tunk gets narrower as you get closer to the rear seats. This is the biggest thing you can fit in our small trunks. A box like this one could work well for 2 12's, depending on the subs you plan on running.

That is true if you don't remove the factory subs. If you do, like I did, you get more space and can tuck a 15 under the back deck. I love my sub, but also like the sound of a sealed box over a ported box. The ported will hit harder, but not sound as clean as the sealed. Nice work either way, our trunks are a big PITA to have a sub box and access to the spare.

That is true if you don't remove the factory subs. If you do, like I did, you get more space and can tuck a 15 under the back deck. I love my sub, but also like the sound of a sealed box over a ported box. The ported will hit harder, but not sound as clean as the sealed. Nice work either way, our trunks are a big PITA to have a sub box and access to the spare.

Removing the factory subs was an option I did think about. For some reason before I do anything to my LS I think about what would the dealership think, or what would someone trying to buy my car think. I want to keep my car as stock as possible or be able to return it to stock condition easily. I know, I'm a wuss.

looks good

I dont think an 18 would be possible and keep the access to the spare. The max height of the box you can fit is about a 13 1/2" and thats only the front because the tunk gets narrower as you get closer to the rear seats.
i would have to agree, with just under 14", even with removing the factory subs its going to take a lot of creativity to get anything bigger than 12"s to fit :shifty: just one 18 would require not only a huge box, but more than likely a very odd shaped box that would be mighty difficult to just get into the trunk (hell, it might even need to be assembled in the trunk itself)

I beleive this is the biggest sub box you can possibly fit in the LS without removing the stock subs, having access to the spare compartment and withough having to notch the sides to accomodate the trunk shape.
both of these where required to shoehorn a pair of 15's in, all at the cost of losing ports :(

1LoudLS- I tucked a 15 under the back deck with the factory subs removed. My box slides in and out easily, but it is a sealed box. No funky shape at all.

Frank- you know you can put the factory subs back in your car when you go to sell the car? Or you could sell the factory sub setup for some extra money. I got $250 for my factory sub setup.

1LoudLS- I tucked a 15 under the back deck with the factory subs removed. My box slides in and out easily, but it is a sealed box. No funky shape at all.

Frank- you know you can put the factory subs back in your car when you go to sell the car? Or you could sell the factory sub setup for some extra money. I got $250 for my factory sub setup.

Dang that's a good chunk of money. The thing is, with the setups I used to have sometimes the bass would be a lil too much for everyday constant use. Even with the bass control volume turned down, the fact that the hu bass was set to a little over half it would be pretty loud. I wire the amp with a shut off switch in order shut the bass off but still have the stock subs to listen to music. My gf doesn't like bass so whenever she's in the car, stock subs it is. Maybe I just haven't ound the right balance that would work for me.

Loud had said the odd shaped funky box would probably be required if using an 18. Without the stock subs, a 15 is a doable task.

Members online

No members online now.
Back