tan automatic shifter THAT rare???

p38wannabe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought on ebay a TAN shifter for the tranny. The seller made it seem like he never saw one before and how unusal it is. I am thinking of dying it red to match my black and red steering wheel but I just wanted to see what you guys think on the "rarity" issue.

shifter.JPG

honestly, I never really paid attention to the color of the shifter knob to know if a tan one is rare. But thinking back on it, I have mostly seen black ones. Might be worth holding onto if you have another one to dye.........Katz

that is funny, I was wondering why my tan interior 96 Mark VIII LSC has a black shifter, the dash is half tan and half well really dark brown. I'd sure like to swap out for a matching color, but there are 5-6 different tans camels, beiges that I'd have to see it to tell for sure.

I like the lacing on that one also. Humm out of curosity I went to check it out, I only have one lace coming up the passenger side of the knob, curving to the left then stopping at the silver knob. I like the lacing of that one better also.

I've seen lots of black, and matching knobs, I will have to start paying more attention.

Debi

In the long run, even if it is rare, it'll never be worth anything. It that's what you were wondering. It's just a shift knob, and it's not off a car that has changed automotive history. Rarity only matters when it is accompanied by high demand.

May I offer the other hand:

Unless you are more interested in preserving the rariety of the item, then demand nor actual value of said item are of concern.

Thank you
Debi

*EDIT* Rarity without either high demand or sentimental value is meaningless.

thanks Debi, this is the whole reason for this threat, I dont want to destroy something (dying it red) if I know it is rare. Obviously money is not a factor - as mentioned it is just a shift knob. I am new to the mark VII but getting addicted fast ... =) ... I am even considering getting a 2nd one at this point ... can you guess what interior color I am looking for ...

That shift knob looks like it's from a Mark 8.

Like was already mentioned, the interior in mine is VERY light grey, but it has a black shift knob, too.

MAllen82, The DICtionary definition seems to differ, and in case your can't find yours:

DEF: RARE-few, not many. (hummmm no mention of value or demand....)

No need for an corrective edit thank you, but your opinion is always, well..., there.

Thank you
Debi

I felt your love, good for you. I wouldn't dye it, black ones go wth everything, and they seem to be plentiful, plus if your looking for a tan one, nine outta ten it will come with a black shifter. I'd keep it. I still have my 94's ash tray, lighter, manuals, and cd changer cartridge, all factory - once the factory is gone, it's gone.

I am pleased at your respect for the auto that we here all love dearly. I've driven a Mark 8 for 11-12 years, and will for 11-12 more if I have any say so. (by the looks of the Lincoln wanna bes: ls and the zep, there will be no comparison coming from Lincoln any time soon!)

Your a tride and true member already - congrats :)

PS: and it is killin me but I will leave your last remark alone, but really it is killin me- LOLOLOL "the neck on the mark VIII shifter is too long." - LOLOL

Debi

well, thanks again Debi, and No I won't dye it but look for a nice Bill Bass with a tan interior , have a good trade too ... lol ... there is this car I stopped driving since I got the mark ... any takers for a trade ... lol ... 91' merc turbo capri convertible in great condition.

Hey, you should hear my accent if you smiled about the "neck of the VIII" ... :N ... true german ...

front cap coc.JPG

left side cap.JPG

back cap.JPG

right sidecap.JPG

coc close capri.JPG

In that case I have a few one of a kinds in my toilet, should I not flush those either? I dind't say it must be valuable to be rare MsM8tress, but rather that the fact something is rare isn't generally important if it isn't accompanied by either value or sentimental value. It's common sense. Ever notice how people tend to look down on packrats? It's because they keep crap around that is rare but meaningless. Of course, I'm not telling the guy to dye the shift knob, I was simply opining that in the large scheme of things, what does a tan shift knob from a Lincoln mean? Unless of course it was his Grandpa's old shift knob that was left to him in a will, or it's worth some dough. But thanks for the sarcasm anyways.

PS. Joey said I should talk to you for this very reason

MAllen82 said:
But Joey, sometimes, I like being talked to like that...........kinda turns me on, ya know....

Joeychgo said:
Ah --well maybe MsM8tress can help you out....

OldSchool1 said:
Dude.
Nob is rare.
Keep it or sell it to me at a $3.00 profit.

is that plus shipping ??? ... :waving:

"nob" will stay with me and not be dyed as mentioned previously ... just waiting for a nice BB to come along.

hey i was wondering
i have look at the shifter so many times but
can,t figur it out
on my continental
is there a way to unbult it or unscrew it
how to you take of just the shifter nob is it possible
i see picture all the time like that but how i can,t figur it out i have a 95 lincoln continental

i don,t understand how dose it just slid on and off ive trie everything short of bending it in half lol mine dosn,t budge how to ppl change shifters

it is easier if you shift it into 1 postion, then just push the black knob in and pull ... that is it ...

Just pull it up.

That knob is rare, i've never seen a tan one, now that i think about it, i've seen MANY black ones, and i think i've seen one gray one...maybe.

when you say shift to 1 position do you mean shif all the way down to 1 or just shift to like r or D or N any of them and is it the same to get it back on

H'mmm
Shifters I have a short Hurst Pistol grip shifter. Would that be rare?? :steering :steering

p38wannabe said:
is that plus shipping ??? ... :waving:

"nob" will stay with me and not be dyed as mentioned previously ... just waiting for a nice BB to come along.
heheheh
I actually typed NOB!
That's too funny. I'll never edit that!
I'm glad that you're keeping it. I wanted to bid on it but I have WAY too many trinkets as it is. Again, congratulations on scoring the "NOB".

yeah, nice typo ... you would not believe how many people told me that they watched this one and just forgot about it, when I sold my old steering wheel over ebay and met the buyer in dallas, he even said he had seen it and just forgot, and honestly, I just won it by accident, did not had a high bid at all since I was going to dye it initaly ... I guess thats life ... :Beer

Gee, What a thread, I just had to revive it one time... lol
Here's my Shifter. I think this one is rare.
After I put my T-5 in, this weekend, I've no more use for it.
Probably ebay or let me know if you want it.

AutoShifter1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back