Symptom WOT delay

Trippen Out

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so i thought id go for a ride tonight and open up the mark a little bit. i noticed something out of the normal. well it seams out of the normal to me. id be rolling along and when i go wide open on the throttle i noticed it would take about a good 5 seconds or so before anything would happen then all the sudden the rpms would spike up to 6k and the car would slam forward. normally when i stomp the gas it would start to accelerate rather nicely and certainly doesnt slam into gear and go after a big delay like that. so what could be going on. i also noticed something else. id get up to the speed limit and then id start to coast once i slow down enough id push on the gas again and it would slam like a big clunk and then lurch forward and go. both of these appear to be out of the normal. is this the begging of something bad to come or what.

yes its a factory tune. i was thinking tps as well but i had a simular problem with my bronco and the trans died on me. the clunking made me wanna think u-joint too. but i dont know. i guess ill just have to drive it easy till i can be sure whats goings on. am i able to check the tps like i could on a 5.0 by back probing it with a voltmeter does anyone know what the range should be.

possibly a tranny problem starting.

yup, sounds like the "beginnings of the end"....

The TCCOA article explains a "delayed shift" thant "ends with a bang".

likely a broken/binding/stuck 1-2 accumulator at a bare minimum.

that is where I would "START, and STOP".

If replacing the 1-2 piston and spring dont solve the problem, I would "fall back, regroup" and get a 98 and up trans to replace the known weak and prone to fail 93-97 transmissions.

Springs, piston and fluid will be less than 100.00..

tps like i could on a 5.0 by back probing it with a voltmeter does anyone know what the range should be.

same as the 5.0
between .99v and 1.0v at idle and around 4.99 at WOT

I "think" it's even the same colored wire as the 5.0 "the green one" but I could be wrong.

okay thanks for the info. and yep sounds about the same as the 5.0 one as well. i hope i can get the tranny to last another month then. if so ill jmod it and rebuild it. can you tell me what makes the 98 so much better. i know from doing a little searching that it would need to be repinned but that shouldnt be hard at all.

okay thanks for the info. and yep sounds about the same as the 5.0 one as well. i hope i can get the tranny to last another month then. if so ill jmod it and rebuild it. can you tell me what makes the 98 so much better. i know from doing a little searching that it would need to be repinned but that shouldnt be hard at all.

all the common failure/weak points were upgraded in 98.

there is a laundy list of improvements, here are a few

The mechanical one way clutch replaces the inferior prone to breaking "old style roller clutch".

Also ALL the accumulator pistons and springs are improved over the 93-97 units.

2000-2004 Mustang GT's are even better, but need "more attention" to get them working in a mark 8.

if you put a 98 mark 8 trans in, you're looking at a harness repin, a TCC solenoid swap and WALA! yer done!

take your time with the harness repin, and dont use the diagram on TCCOA..it's wrong.
If you follow that diagram {like I did} your gonna wind up with blown/smoked Shift solenoids and "only second gear"..
"Been there done that"...hahah

all the common failure/weak points were upgraded in 98.

there is a laundy list of improvements, here are a few

The mechanical one way clutch replaces the inferior prone to breaking "old style roller clutch".

Also ALL the accumulator pistons and springs are improved over the 93-97 units.

2000-2004 Mustang GT's are even better, but need "more attention" to get them working in a mark 8.

if you put a 98 mark 8 trans in, you're looking at a harness repin, a TCC solenoid swap and WALA! yer done!

take your time with the harness repin, and dont use the diagram on TCCOA..it's wrong.
If you follow that diagram {like I did} your gonna wind up with blown/smoked Shift solenoids and "only second gear"..
"Been there done that"...hahah

yea i saw that posted up in jamies thread with his 98 for sale. i havnt herd or saw anything about a TCC solenoid swap. not even sure i know what that is. all well cross that bridge when i get to it. playing with the trans was on of the last things on my list of upgrades to do but if mine i starting to fail then its gonna be number one fix. thank you for the info.

so do the 98 still need the drilled seperator plate to complete the JMOD?

yes.. just because it's and improved/upgraded design doesnt mean it's got aftermarket upgrades.

a 98 trans will still benefit from a Jmod.
but it already has the updated springs and pistons.

i havnt herd or saw anything about a TCC solenoid swap. not even sure i know what that is..

The TCC solenoid controls the Torque Convertor Lock up.

the older TCC solenoids in the early models was an analog signal
the upgraded/newer soleniods were a digital signal.

You want to use the TCC solenoid from your old trans, in the new.
the PCM "talks" to the TCC solenoid and if you dont change it, it causes all kinds of goofy crud to happen.

ALSO.. when talking about 98 trans... I would use the "town car" 1-2 accumulator spring "Max at Fivestar" knows which one it is.

the stock 98 1-2 spring is very heavy and causes a slow lingering shift even with the shift pressures increased.
The town car spring give a much quicker and firmer 1-2 shift.

Members online

Back