Suspension work

Sal329

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well the car is a 94 and I think it is about time to start replacing parts. I have a shimmy in the car that I can feel at 70+ mph, felt mostly in the seat and not the steering wheel. I figured its a driveshaft? I want to replace the drive shaft, front upper and lower control arms as well. Besides the Struts what else on the front end should I replace? I want to go with either OEM or TRW/Moog for my parts. Any idea on where to get them?
Also what rear shocks would you recommend? As before what other rear end parts should I look into?
I figure I will do all this now and next spring replace the air struts. Looking to spend about $500-700 without labor as I will do the work.
Thanks

Might as well give you my 2 cents:

I got moog uppers/lowers for a 96 T bird from Rockauto - quite cheap plus im on coils so was able to use uppers without the ball studs.

I also used the monroe sensatracs for the T bird - cheap at $25 each. I have found these shocks to be very soft though so depends what you want.

With regards to the 'shimmy' i would try getting all four wheels re-balanced first and see if that cures it. If the DS is the cause then maybe get a '93 one piece DS cheap.

You may want to do the tie rod ends, anti roll bar links, strut rod bushes and rear shock mounts also.

This isnt everything just some of the main wear parts that you may want to replace while you are at it. Hope this helps.

Check your tires too. I had a bad shimmy and I figured front end parts, but the tires were it. Smooth as glass now.

Had the same problem it was the tires but you get a free vibrating lazy boy seat

The tires are all roadforce balanced. I want to redo the suspension to freshen the car up as I plan on keepin it a while unless I can sell or trade it in on a 2nd gen. I figure suspension parts then the airbags, then a new trans from a 99+ Mustang, then move onto engine work either rebuild this one or install a 99, 01 Cobra engine.

I just did my 93. Started as a rack replace and turned into new suspension and steering, down to new ps pump and all hoses.

Get your parts from rockauto.com. All TRW/MOOG, best price I could find, and they were on the porch in 2 days. Use this code, 816883725348, for a 5% discount. Enter code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. Covered shipping for me.

I did for around $500:
u/l control arms
strut rod bushings
sway bar links & poly sway bushings
outer tie rods
rack mount bushings

BTW: pass that code along, anybody can use it until 12-25-07.

Same here got my stuff from Rock Auto... great price and fast shipping... Also good parts.

Save yourself some bucks by ordering for a 96 T-Bird as stated above... $50 per part difference.

Yes... all you need to do is knock off the sensor mount nipple and then weld it back on. If you can do that, many have with no problems. If not then you will need to order the Mark VIII uppers.

Lowers are the same part, but with different prices.

Lowers yes. T Bird uppers no good because they dont have the ball studs for the height sensors, unless you can weld...

Ok so the lowers will work then. Thank you. Now to gather the funds lol.

Isn't that always the #1 problem ... the funds...

Good thing is that many parts are not real expensive... Good Luck.. it's an easy job to do the control arms..

Secret on the Driver's side uppers..

1. make sure you have a friend to help as the extra hand will make the job easier.

2. Take the Upper control arm off while the air bag or strut is out...

3. There is a bolt that the head is right behind the master cylinder. Be careful here. 18 mm head best to have a ratchet box wrench.
The nut to the bolt has a flange on it (it's not needed). Knock that PITA off and you can put a socket on the nut. Otherwise it will take you about 30min to get that bolt off. One click at a time.

Thanks for the tips. Yeap the funds are always a pain to come up with. Do you want to buy the kids clothes or control arms for the car lol.
I work at a car dealer, I get discounts at the auto store so I was looking to see who carried Moog going to compare the discount I get with Rock Auto. I also have access to air tools, lifts and technician help. too bad they only know BMW's lol.

I work at a car dealer, I get discounts at the auto store so I was looking to see who carried Moog going to compare the discount I get with Rock Auto. I also have access to air tools, lifts and technician help. too bad they only know BMW's lol.

You sux... Lift and air tools. I have the air tools I need to get a compressor to run them...

I suppose you have all Snap on or Matco tools... screw you you lucky sonzabuck..

Just put the control arms in on an order for one of those over priced BMW's the owner will never know... :p

You sux... Lift and air tools. I have the air tools I need to get a compressor to run them...

I suppose you have all Snap on or Matco tools... screw you you lucky sonzabuck..

Just put the control arms in on an order for one of those over priced BMW's the owner will never know... :p[/QUO

I really don't have many tools except things to use around the house. I have been working at dealerships for the last 7 years. I started at a BMW dealer in NJ, I drove a 00 Mustang then and I had a tech help me pull the GT motor out, tear down a 2001 Cobra motor so the machine shop could install the stroker kit, we installed new heads and cams on the Cobra and installed that in my GT. The lift and all his tools :D He would help with all my performance work on that car and all the maintence I did he would leave me the kewy to his tool box that night and I would use his tools. Then in FL same thing with a different tech, and different cars. lol Now I am new to NC and not that good friends YET with the techs but one tech said he will change the oil on the car for me next week. One perk about working at athe dealer.

Screw you too... Ford Tech Guy....

Good thing for the surplus store in town.. not the best tools but they are better than Wal-Mart and much better then the $1.00 bin tools plus at a price that I can afford. They can handle the job seeing I'm not using them daily haven't destroyed any yet.

Screw you too... Ford Tech Guy....

Good thing for the surplus store in town.. not the best tools but they are better than Wal-Mart and much better then the $1.00 bin tools plus at a price that I can afford. They can handle the job seeing I'm not using them daily haven't destroyed any yet.

yeah but ill trade you tool bills any day :rolleyes:

If you haven't ordered your parts yet you may want to check on Advance Auto Parts. I just got a complete front end rebuild program together last month and the TRW uppers and lowers for the Mark Vlll were even cheaper than the T'Bird. (wonder how that happened?). I'm sure you will get a very attractive discount as well.

Members online

Back