Subprime lending disaster Clinton admin's fault

Sorry for not glacing over this thread better but.

I don't think ANY president is to blame for this mortgage crisis even as much as I hate bush.

I have 2 friends close to forclosure, because THEY were the ones who signed the loan papers. This can't be blamed on the president entirely. The American public has just as much blame in this.

This is my 1st and probably only post in this section of LVC.

In an effort to make better sense of this - were these lending institutions forced to comply with regulations in the Community Redevelopment Act? Are there quotas or something - I tried to read the bill.... hahahahahaha!

In an effort to make better sense of this - were these lending institutions forced to comply with regulations in the Community Redevelopment Act? Are there quotas or something - I tried to read the bill.... hahahahahaha!
Mortgage companies were periodically issued guidelines by FannieMae, telling them they had to raise accepted clients to higher quality status, thus reducing their rates. This included people who had bankruptcies being given class 'A' status, which is preferred.

Fair enough. So the demcrats increased taxes and the economy ran well, deficits went away and national debt reduced.

So what your saying is that the democrats had the right idea and ran things well. Thank's for proving my points.
How's that working out for Michigan today? The only state in a true recession while the rest of the country wasn't. :rolleyes:

So the demcrats increased taxes and the economy ran well, deficits went away and national debt reduced.

Yes, I think we should totally ignore the impact that the explosion of the INTERNET had on the decade of the 90's. :cool: Clinton's tax increase did it. :confused: And the recession and internet bubble burst didn't start until Bush was sworn in on that day in 2001 becuase a Republican took office. :mad: I totally get it.:)

I'm so totally excited that I have to raise revenues and profits 30% this year and next with a looming Obama presidency just to have the same amount as I have now under Bush. But according to Biden, I should be patriotic and happy.:rolleyes:

Fair enough. So the demcrats increased taxes and the economy ran well, deficits went away and national debt reduced.

So what your saying is that the democrats had the right idea and ran things well. Thank's for proving my points.

Nice spin.

We have already had this discussion before. Fiscal policy takes years, if not decades to fully realize the results of the policy. tax cuts or increases take years to show their full effect.

Most experts say that you cannot fully judge the record of an administration until well after that adminsitration, usually 5 to 10 years out.

But we have to assume that any tax cut or increase has an imediate effect right?

Joey, why do you post in here?
You state your opinion, but it's nonsense. It doesn't matter how many times you're "opinion" is confronted with facts and it's explained to you how your premise is critically flawed- you simply ignore it and then repeat the very same "opinion" in the next thread.

Just to reinforce points already made-

There are things Bush failed to accomplish during his tenure as President that conservatives are upset about. Spending is one of them.

If you want to be critical of Bush for this, then the logical reaction is to then support McCain in '08. Obama has promised more spending, more government programs, and more nationalized programs, that will cost trillions of dollars. In contrast, McCain has an excellent record on spending.

The "real" surplus that was cited before was only on paper. And it relied heavily on considering Social Security included as GENERAL REVENUE. So there was no massive surplus.

Bush did inherit an economy that was winding down into a recession when coming into office. This was only made worse by 9/11. Despite all the challenges (recession, terror, wars, natural disaster) the economy HAS BEEN STRONG for the past 7 years. It's slowing down right now, and this current crisis isn't representative of the entire economy, just one important sector (that will cause a ripple effect).

9192008riskyloans.gif

'99 Article from the World Communist Website talking about the deregulation. The conclusions drawn aren't right, but it's worth reading because it's written without the benefit of hindsight.

Clinton, Republicans agree to deregulation of US financial system
By Martin McLaughlin
1 November 1999

An agreement between the Clinton administration and congressional Republicans, reached during all-night negotiations which concluded in the early hours of October 22, sets the stage for passage of the most sweeping banking deregulation bill in American history, lifting virtually all restraints on the operation of the giant monopolies which dominate the financial system.

The proposed Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 would do away with restrictions on the integration of banking, insurance and stock trading imposed by the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, one of the central pillars of Roosevelt's New Deal. Under the old law, banks, brokerages and insurance companies were effectively barred from entering each others' industries, and investment banking and commercial banking were separated.

The certain result of repeal of Glass-Steagall will be a wave of mergers surpassing even the colossal combinations of the past several years. The Wall Street Journal wrote, "With the stroke of the president's pen, investment firms like Merrill Lynch & Co. and banks like Bank of America Corp., are expected to be on the prowl for acquisitions." The financial press predicted that the most likely mergers would come from big banks acquiring insurance companies, with John Hancock, Prudential and The Hartford all expected to be targeted.

Kenneth Guenther, executive vice president of Independent Community Bankers of America, an association of small rural banks which opposed the bill, warned, "This is going to begin a wave of major mergers and acquisitions in the financial-services industry. We're moving to an oligopolistic situation."

One such merger was already carried out well before the passage of the legislation, the $72 billion deal which brought together Citibank, the biggest New York bank, and Travelers Group Inc., the huge insurance and financial services conglomerate, which owns Salomon Smith Barney, a major brokerage. That merger was negotiated despite the fact that the merged company, Citigroup, was in violation of the Glass-Steagall Act, because billionaire Travelers boss Sanford Weill and Citibank CEO John Reed were confident of bipartisan support for repeal of the 60-year-old law.

Campaign of influence-buying

They had good reason, to be sure. The banking, insurance and brokerage industry lobbyists have combined their forces over the last five years to mount the best-financed campaign of influence-buying ever seen in Washington. In 1997 and 1998 alone, the three industries spent over $300 million on the effort: $58 million in campaign contributions to Democratic and Republican candidates, $87 million in "soft money" contributions to the Democratic and Republican parties, and $163 million on lobbying of elected officials.

The chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, Texas Republican Phil Gramm, himself collected more than $1.5 million in cash from the three industries during the last five years: $496,610 from the insurance industry, $760,404 from the securities industry and $407,956 from banks.

During the final hours of negotiations between the House-Senate conference committee and White House and Treasury officials, dozens of well-heeled lobbyists crowded the corridors outside the room where the final deal-making was going on. Edward Yingling, chief lobbyist for the American Bankers Association, told the New York Times, "If I had to guess, I would say it's probably the most heavily lobbied, most expensive issue" in a generation.

While Democratic and Republican congressmen and industry lobbyists claimed that deregulation would spark competition and improve services to consumers, the same claims have proven bogus in the case of telecommunications, airlines and other industries freed from federal regulations. Consumer groups noted that since the passage of a 1994 banking deregulation bill which permitted bank holding companies to operate in more than one state, both checking fees and ATM fees have risen sharply.

Differing versions of financial services deregulation passed the House and Senate earlier this year, and the conference committee was called to work out a consensus bill and avert a White House veto. The principal bone of contention in the last few days before the agreement had nothing to do with the central thrust of the bill, on which there was near-unanimous bipartisan support.

The sticking point was the effort by Gramm to gut the Community Reinvestment Act, a 1977 anti-redlining law which requires that banks make a certain proportion of their loans in minority and poor neighborhoods Gramm blocked passage of a similar deregulation bill last year over demands to cripple the CRA, and bank lobbyists were in a panic, during the week before the deal was made, that the dispute would once again prevent any bill from being adopted.

Gramm and other extreme-right Republicans saw the opportunity to damage their political opponents among minority businessmen and community groups, who generally support the Democratic Party. Gramm succeeded in inserting two provisions to weaken the CRA, one reducing the frequency of examinations for CRA compliance to once every five years for smaller banks, the other compelling public disclosure of loans made under the program.

The latter provision was particularly offensive to black and other minority business and community groups, who have used the CRA provisions as a lever by threatening to challenge mergers and other bank operations which require government approval. In most such cases, the banks have offered loans to businessmen or outright grants to community groups in return for dropping their legal actions. These petty-bourgeois elements have been able to posture as defenders of the black or Hispanic community, while pocketing what are essentially payoffs from finance capital and concealing from the public the details of this relationship.

The banks and other financial institutions did not themselves oppose continuation of the CRA, which they have treated as nothing more than a cost of doing a highly profitable business in minority areas. Loans tied to the CRA average a 20 percent rate of return. Financial industry lobbyists complained that they were being caught in a crossfire between the Republicans and Democrats which was unrelated to the main purpose of the bill.

The Clinton White House threatened to veto the bill if CRA provisions were substantially weakened, in response to heavy pressure from the Congressional Black Caucus and the Reverend Jesse Jackson, whose Operation PUSH has made extensive use of CRA in its campaigns to pressure corporations and banks for more opportunities for black businessmen. But eventually the White House caved in to Gramm, accepting his amendments so long as the program remained formally in place.

The White House similarly retreated on pledges that consumer privacy would be protected in the legislation. Consumer groups pointed to the potential for abuse of financial information once giant conglomerates were created which would handle loans, investments and insurance at the same time. For example: a bank could refuse to give a 30-year mortgage to a customer whose medical records, filed with the bank's insurance subsidiary, revealed a fatal disease.

The final draft of the bill contains a consumer privacy protection clause, but it is extremely weak, applying only to the transfer of information outside of a financial conglomerate, not within it. Thus Citigroup will be able to pass on financial information about its bank depositors to Travelers Insurance, but not to an outside company like Prudential. Even that limitation would be breached if there was a contractual relationship with the outside company, as in the case of a telemarketer which did work for Citigroup and was given private information about Citigroup depositors to aid in its telephone solicitations.

Threat to financial stability

The proposed deregulation will increase the degree of monopolization in finance and worsen the position of consumers in relation to creditors. Even more significant is its impact on the overall stability of US and world capitalism. The bill ties the banking system and the insurance industry even more directly to the volatile US stock market, virtually guaranteeing that any significant plunge on Wall Street will have an immediate and catastrophic impact throughout the US financial system.

The Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, which the deregulation bill would repeal, was not adopted to protect consumers, although one of its most celebrated provisions was the establishment of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which guarantees bank deposits of up to $100,000. The law was enacted during the first 100 days of the Roosevelt administration to rescue a banking system which had collapsed, wiping out the life savings of millions of working people, and threatening to bring the profit system to a complete standstill.

As a recent history of that era notes: "The more than five thousand bank failures between the Crash and the New Deal's rescue operation in March 1933 wiped out some $7 billion in depositors' money. Accelerating foreclosures on defaulted home mortgages—150,000 homeowners lost their property in 1930, 200,000 in 1931, 250,000 in 1932—stripped millions of people of both shelter and life savings at a single stroke and menaced the balance sheets of thousands of surviving banks" (David Kennedy, Freedom from Fear, Oxford University Press, 1999, pp. 162-63).

The separation of banking and the stock exchange was ordered in response to revelations of the gross corruption and manipulation of the market by giant banking houses, above all the House of Morgan, which organized huge corporate mergers for its own profit and awarded preferential access to share issues to favored politicians and businessmen. Such insider trading played a major role in the speculative boom which preceded the 1929 crash.

Over the past 20 years the restrictions imposed by Glass-Steagall have been gradually relaxed under pressure from the banks, which sought more profitable outlets for their capital, especially in the booming stock market, and which complained that foreign competitors suffered no such limitations to their financial operations. In 1990 the Federal Reserve Board first permitted a bank (J.P. Morgan) to sell stock through a subsidiary, although stock market operations were limited to 10 percent of the company's total revenue. In 1996 this ceiling was lifted to 25 percent. Now it will be abolished.

The Wall Street Journal celebrated the agreement to end such restrictions with an editorial declaring that the banks had been unfairly scapegoated for the Great Depression. The headline of one Journal article detailing the impact of the proposed law declared, "Finally, 1929 Begins to Fade."

This comment underscores the greatest irony in the banking deregulation bill. Legislation first adopted to save American capitalism from the consequences of the 1929 Wall Street Crash is being abolished just at the point where the conditions are emerging for an even greater speculative financial collapse. The enormous volatility in the stock exchange in recent months has been accompanied by repeated warnings that stocks are grossly overvalued, with some computer and Internet stocks selling at prices 100 times earnings or even greater.

And there is a much more recent experience than 1929 to serve as a cautionary tale. A financial deregulation bill was passed in the early 1980s under the Reagan administration, lifting many restrictions on the activities of savings and loan associations, which had previously been limited primarily to the home-loan market. The result was an orgy of speculation, profiteering and outright plundering of assets, culminating in collapse and the biggest financial bailout in US history, costing the federal government more than $500 billion. The repetition of such events in the much larger banking and securities markets would be beyond the scope of any federal bailout.

[7 October 1999]

The "real" surplus that was cited before was only on paper. And it relied heavily on considering Social Security included as GENERAL REVENUE. So there was no massive surplus.
If you're talking about the "1.3 trillion dollars" or whatever it was that left-wing pundits were always claiming, then yes, it was only on paper, i.e., projections. But there was in fact a federal budget surplus for four years, 1998 - 2001.

You need Excel or an Excel reader to view these:

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy08/sheets/hist01z1.xls

The budget numbers go from 1789 to 2006. 2007 and beyond ARE projections. More importantly, they were all arrived at using the same formula starting in 1933.

Even if you remove trust funds from the mix, the year 2000 had a surplus:

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy08/sheets/hist01z4.xls

Not much of one (1.6 billion), but one nonetheless. In any case, it was closer to a balanced budget than we've ever had since the 50s.

The middle chart Joey posted is completely accurate and NOT based on projections or cooking the books. I don't know about the other two because I didn't look into them.

I really don't care whether one credits Clinton or the Republican congress. I'm just pointing out that there was indeed a surplus, and that the commonly heard talking point that it was all future predictions only applies to the claims of 1.x trillion dollar surpluses.

If you're talking about the "1.3 trillion dollars" or whatever it was that left-wing pundits were always claiming, then yes, it was only on paper, i.e., projections. But there was in fact a federal budget surplus for four years, 1998 - 2001.

You need Excel or an Excel reader to view these:

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy08/sheets/hist01z1.xls

The budget numbers go from 1789 to 2006. 2007 and beyond ARE projections. More importantly, they were all arrived at using the same formula starting in 1933.

Even if you remove trust funds from the mix, the year 2000 had a surplus:

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy08/sheets/hist01z4.xls

Not much of one (1.6 billion), but one nonetheless. In any case, it was closer to a balanced budget than we've ever had since the 50s.

The middle chart Joey posted is completely accurate and NOT based on projections or cooking the books. I don't know about the other two because I didn't look into them.

I really don't care whether one credits Clinton or the Republican congress. I'm just pointing out that there was indeed a surplus, and that the commonly heard talking point that it was all future predictions only applies to the claims of 1.x trillion dollar surpluses.
None of this means jack crap to me.

A budget surplus means one thing: Overtaxation.

Trillion Dollar Bailout Will Lead to Future Bubbles

Posted by Hans Bader
Why did the mortgage bubble occur? One reason was probably that financial institutions engaged in irresponsible lending suspected they were too “big to fail,” and that the government would bail them out if their investments went sour — a perception fueled by the past bailouts of financial institutions like Continental Illinois National Bank and Long Term Capital Management, and companies like Chrysler.

Now, the government is confirming the accuracy of that perception by proposing a massive bailout of the financial sector, at a cost of perhaps a trillion dollars, by buying up banks’ bad loans. This is a terrible, rotten idea that will encourage financial bubbles for generations into the future by rewarding mismanaged banks and companies. Congressional leaders have apparently signed off on this deal with the President in exchange for support for a costly multibillion-dollar stimulus package that would give welfare to liberal constituences, the way the previous $160 billion stimulus package did.

If there is no bailout, the economy may go into a recession, but then it will begin expanding again, and the reckless financial institutions that caused the recession will be punished with losses or bankruptcy. That’s more or less what happened in the sharp recession of 1920-21, which started out as nasty as the Great Depression, but quickly ended, unlike the Depression, and then gave way to an economic boom, because the government didn’t meddle in the economy, and didn’t bail anyone out.

Today, everyone talks about how, in theory, more regulation could have stopped the risky behavior that contributed to the bubble. But regulation never lives up to neat theories about wise, omniscient regulators. During the bubble, government officials of all ideological stripes were busy encouraging the risky behavior that caused to the mortgage bubble, not stopping it. Liberal lawmakers were pushing risky loans to promote “affordable housing,” “racial justice,” and “diversity,” while the Bush Administration was touting them as a way to increase homeownership rates and promote Bush’s slogan of an “ownership society.”

During bubbles, government regulators share the same herd instinct as people in the private sector, the difference being that they know even less than the private sector does about how markets work, as David Brooks notes today in the New York Times. As Brooks notes, there is no way that a government regulator obsessed with promoting homeownership was going to tell a bank during the real estate boom that it should not make a risky mortgage loan to a poor person, no matter how prudent such advice would have been. Having worked in the federal bureaucracy, and gained a real-world understanding of how bureaucracies work, I totally agree with Brooks.

As we previously noted, the Clinton Administration stupidly pressured banks to make risky loans to people who couldn’t really afford houses in the name of promoting “affordable housing” and “racial justice.” A liberal commentator notes in response that the Bush Administration likewise stupidly encouraged risky lending, proposing a “Zero Downpayment Initiative” to subsidize mortgage loans for people who were not responsible enough to save enough money for a downpayment. (Those of us who saved enough money for a downpayment on our own were not eligible for that subsidy, and had to subsidize the irresponsible no-money-down borrowers with our tax dollars).

Many commentators, such as former FDIC Chairman Bill Isaac, believe that federal accounting regulations have aggravated the financial crisis and created a dangerous logjam in America’s financial system.

Far from rewarding the people who warned against the housing and financial bubbles, the Administration is now cracking down on short-sellers, the people who accurately predict that risky assets are overpriced. “This morning the SEC decided to ban all short selling on 799 financial stocks proving yet again we don’t live in a free market.”

John Berlau explains why short sellers are unsung heroes:

If ever there were a case “killing the messenger,” this would be it. As a commentator on CNBC’s “Fast Money,” pointed out Thursday night, a successful short seller isn’t someone who falsely shouts fire in a theater; it’s instead the person who first notices the theater is on fire.

The Post-Lehman World

By DAVID BROOKS
Published: September 18, 2008
A few years ago, real estate was all the rage. Earlier this year, the business magazines were telling us to invest in Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch, because those stocks were bound to zoom. Now another herd is on the march.

We’re in a paradigm shift, its members say. The current financial turmoil marks the end of the era of wide-open global capitalism. Today’s gigantic government acquisitions signal a new political era, with more federal activism and tighter regulations.

This observation is then followed by a string of ethereal gottas and shoulds. We gotta have smart regulation that offers security but doesn’t stifle innovation. We gotta have rules that inhibit reckless gambling without squelching sensible risk-taking. We should limit excesses during booms and head off liquidations when things go bad.

It all sounds great (like buying a house with no money down), but do you mind if I do a little due diligence?

In the first place, the idea that our problems stem from light regulation and could be solved by more regulation doesn’t fit all the facts. The current financial crisis is centered around highly regulated investment banks, while lightly regulated hedge funds are not doing so badly. Two of the biggest miscreants were Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which, in theory, “were probably the world’s most heavily supervised financial institutions,” according to Jonathan Kay of The Financial Times.

Moreover, there is a lot of lamentation about Clinton era reforms that loosened restrictions on banks. But it’s hard, as Megan McArdle of The Atlantic notes, to see what these reforms had to do with rising house prices, the flood of foreign investment that fed the credit bubble and the global creation of complex new financial instruments for pricing and distributing risk.

In other words, maybe there is something more going on here than just a bunch of laissez-faire regulators asleep at the wheel. But even if it is true that we need more federal activism, I’m a little curious about what we’re going to need to make the system work.

Surely, we’re going to need lawmakers who understand what caused the current meltdown and who can design rules to make sure it doesn’t happen again. And yet there’s no consensus about what caused this bubble.

Some people blame the Fed’s monetary policies, but some say the Fed had only a marginal effect. Some argue a flood of foreign investment allowed us to live beyond our means, while others say bad accounting regulations after Enron created a chain reaction of losses.

We don’t even have a clear explanation about the past, yet we’re also going to need regulators who understand the present and can diagnose the future.

We’re going to need regulators who can anticipate what the next Wall Street business model is going to look like, and how the next crisis will be different than the current one. We’re going to need squads of low-paid regulators who can stay ahead of the highly paid bankers, auditors and analysts who pace this industry (and who themselves failed to anticipate this turmoil).

We’re apparently going to need an all-powerful Super-Fed than can manage inflation, unemployment, bubbles and maybe hurricanes — all at the same time! We’re going to need regulators who write regulations that control risky behavior rather than just channeling it off into dark corners, and who understand what’s happening in bank trading rooms even if the C.E.O.’s themselves are oblivious.

We’re also going to need regulators who can overcome politics and human nature. As McArdle notes, cracking down on subprime loans just when they were getting frothy would have meant issuing an edict that effectively said: “Don’t lend money to poor people.” Good luck with that.

We’d need regulators who could spot a bubble and squelch a boom just when things seem to be going good, who can scare away foreign investment and who could over-rule popularity-mongering presidents. (The statements by the two candidates this week have been moronic.)

To sum it all up, this supposed new era of federal activism is going to confront some old problems: the lack of information available to government planners, the inability to keep up with or control complex economic systems, the fact that political considerations invariably distort the best laid plans.

This doesn’t mean there’s nothing to be done. Martin Wolf suggests countercyclical capital requirements. Everybody seems to be for some updated version of the Resolution Trust Corporation, though disposing of complex debt securities has got to be more difficult than disposing of commercial real estate.

It’s just that there’s a big difference between dreaming of some ideal regulatory regime and actually putting one into practice. Everybody says we’re about to enter a new political era, rich in global financial regulation. The herd might just be wrong once again.

Folks, you'd better start stocking up on your survival supplies. The world as we know it is on life support.

The short prognosis is not good.
While the media loves to dramatize problems with America, the U.S. MSM is really neglegent in their ability to report on international affairs. If American sneezes, the world gets a cold has never been more true.

If you're even remotely interested in economics, or frankly international events, do a little research on the Asian financial crisis that took place in the 90s. It's absolutely amazing, and frightening. THis economic dip that took place in the U.S. almost caused the world markets to crash- and once the dominos started falling, it was near impossible for the money guys and politicians to contain it.

If Clinton deserves credit for anything- it's the fact that he did have the smarts to surround him with money guys who understood international markets. Economics often breaks along ideological lines, so the Goldman Sachs guys are left leaning (politically and philosophically). So while they're solutions and resolutions might not have been the same as I would have chosen, it's was interesting to see the decisions they made and how they had to scramble to work. Before the domino that fell on Asia and was in the process of tanking EurAsia, and headed towards an economic collapse of Europe.....

This is all you need to read to understand this debacle....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aSKSoiNbnQY0
[snip]
The clear gravity of the situation pushed the legislation forward. Some might say the current mess couldn't be foreseen, yet in 2005 Alan Greenspan told Congress how urgent it was for it to act in the clearest possible terms: If Fannie and Freddie ``continue to grow, continue to have the low capital that they have, continue to engage in the dynamic hedging of their portfolios, which they need to do for interest rate risk aversion, they potentially create ever-growing potential systemic risk down the road,'' he said. ``We are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk.''

What happened next was extraordinary. For the first time in history, a serious Fannie and Freddie reform bill was passed by the Senate Banking Committee. The bill gave a regulator power to crack down, and would have required the companies to eliminate their investments in risky assets.

Different World

If that bill had become law, then the world today would be different. In 2005, 2006 and 2007, a blizzard of terrible mortgage paper fluttered out of the Fannie and Freddie clouds, burying many of our oldest and most venerable institutions. Without their checkbooks keeping the market liquid and buying up excess supply, the market would likely have not existed.

But the bill didn't become law, for a simple reason: Democrats opposed it on a party-line vote in the committee, signaling that this would be a partisan issue. Republicans, tied in knots by the tight Democratic opposition, couldn't even get the Senate to vote on the matter.

That such a reckless political stand could have been taken by the Democrats was obscene even then. Wallison wrote at the time: ``It is a classic case of socializing the risk while privatizing the profit. The Democrats and the few Republicans who oppose portfolio limitations could not possibly do so if their constituents understood what they were doing.''
[snip]
But we now know that many of the senators who protected Fannie and Freddie, including Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Christopher Dodd, have received mind-boggling levels of financial support from them over the years
[snip]
Oh, and there is one little footnote to the story that's worth keeping in mind while Democrats point fingers between now and Nov. 4: Senator John McCain was one of the three cosponsors of S.190, the bill that would have averted this mess.

The only thing more obscene than the Democrats' culpability is the media's FLAT REFUSAL to investigate this and expose the guilty parties.

Traitors abound.

This will certainly blow your mind....
Look at the actual bill..from the NYT

LEGISLATIVE PROPOSAL FOR TREASURY AUTHORITY

TO PURCHASE MORTGAGE-RELATED ASSETS

Sec. 8. Review.
Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

This will certainly blow your mind....
Look at the actual bill..from the NYT

LEGISLATIVE PROPOSAL FOR TREASURY AUTHORITY

TO PURCHASE MORTGAGE-RELATED ASSETS

Sec. 8. Review.
Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.
Who is responsible for putting the "non-reviewable" section in there? It does make me shudder.

It's simply a slush fund for Paulson to spend as he sees fit. You just know the Dems are going to try to get their hands on some of that money. "My constituents, in the interest of fairness, need a slice of that pie..."

Sec. 8. Review.
But I thought this WASN'T GOING TO BE A DICTATORSHIP?!?!?!? :confused:

How the Democrats Created the Financial Crisis: Kevin Hassett Commentary

by Kevin Hassett Sept. 22 (Bloomberg) --

The financial crisis of the past year has provided a number of surprising twists and turns, and from Bear Stearns Cos. to American International Group Inc., ambiguity has been a big part of the story.

Why did Bear Stearns fail, and how does that relate to AIG? It all seems so complex.

But really, it isn't. Enough cards on this table have been turned over that the story is now clear. The economic history books will describe this episode in simple and understandable terms: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac exploded, and many bystanders were injured in the blast, some fatally.

Fannie and Freddie did this by becoming a key enabler of the mortgage crisis. They fueled Wall Street's efforts to securitize subprime loans by becoming the primary customer of all AAA-rated subprime-mortgage pools. In addition, they held an enormous portfolio of mortgages themselves.

In the times that Fannie and Freddie couldn't make the market, they became the market. Over the years, it added up to an enormous obligation. As of last June, Fannie alone owned or guaranteed more than $388 billion in high-risk mortgage investments. Their large presence created an environment within which even mortgage-backed securities assembled by others could find a ready home.

The problem was that the trillions of dollars in play were only low-risk investments if real estate prices continued to rise. Once they began to fall, the entire house of cards came down with them.

Turning Point

Take away Fannie and Freddie, or regulate them more wisely, and it's hard to imagine how these highly liquid markets would ever have emerged. This whole mess would never have happened.

It is easy to identify the historical turning point that marked the beginning of the end.

Back in 2005, Fannie and Freddie were, after years of dominating Washington, on the ropes. They were enmeshed in accounting scandals that led to turnover at the top. At one telling moment in late 2004, captured in an article by my American Enterprise Institute colleague Peter Wallison, the Securities and Exchange Comiission's chief accountant told disgraced Fannie Mae chief Franklin Raines that Fannie's position on the relevant accounting issue was not even ``on the page'' of allowable interpretations.

Then legislative momentum emerged for an attempt to create a ``world-class regulator'' that would oversee the pair more like banks, imposing strict requirements on their ability to take excessive risks. Politicians who previously had associated themselves proudly with the two accounting miscreants were less eager to be associated with them. The time was ripe.

Greenspan's Warning

The clear gravity of the situation pushed the legislation forward. Some might say the current mess couldn't be foreseen, yet in 2005 Alan Greenspan told Congress how urgent it was for it to act in the clearest possible terms: If Fannie and Freddie ``continue to grow, continue to have the low capital that they have, continue to engage in the dynamic hedging of their portfolios, which they need to do for interest rate risk aversion, they potentially create ever-growing potential systemic risk down the road,'' he said. ``We are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk.''

What happened next was extraordinary. For the first time in history, a serious Fannie and Freddie reform bill was passed by the Senate Banking Committee. The bill gave a regulator power to crack down, and would have required the companies to eliminate their investments in risky assets.

Different World

If that bill had become law, then the world today would be different. In 2005, 2006 and 2007, a blizzard of terrible mortgage paper fluttered out of the Fannie and Freddie clouds, burying many of our oldest and most venerable institutions. Without their checkbooks keeping the market liquid and buying up excess supply, the market would likely have not existed.

But the bill didn't become law, for a simple reason: Democrats opposed it on a party-line vote in the committee, signaling that this would be a partisan issue. Republicans, tied in knots by the tight Democratic opposition, couldn't even get the Senate to vote on the matter.

That such a reckless political stand could have been taken by the Democrats was obscene even then. Wallison wrote at the time: ``It is a classic case of socializing the risk while privatizing the profit. The Democrats and the few Republicans who oppose portfolio limitations could not possibly do so if their constituents understood what they were doing.''

Mounds of Materials

Now that the collapse has occurred, the roadblock built by Senate Democrats in 2005 is unforgivable. Many who opposed the bill doubtlessly did so for honorable reasons. Fannie and Freddie provided mounds of materials defending their practices. Perhaps some found their propaganda convincing.

But we now know that many of the senators who protected Fannie and Freddie, including Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Christopher Dodd, have received mind-boggling levels of financial support from them over the years.

Throughout his political career, Obama has gotten more than $125,000 in campaign contributions from employees and political action committees of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, second only to Dodd, the Senate Banking Committee chairman, who received more than $165,000.

Clinton, the 12th-ranked recipient of Fannie and Freddie PAC and employee contributions, has received more than $75,000 from the two enterprises and their employees. The private profit found its way back to the senators who killed the fix.

There has been a lot of talk about who is to blame for this crisis. A look back at the story of 2005 makes the answer pretty clear.

Oh, and there is one little footnote to the story that's worth keeping in mind while Democrats point fingers between now and Nov. 4: Senator John McCain was one of the three cosponsors of S.190, the bill that would have averted this mess.

McCain tried to get a bill passed in 2005 to provide more oversight for FannieMae and FreddieMac.

It never made it out of committee.

The votes to end the filibuster by the Democrats in committee were along party lines:

Democrats (Nay):
• Paul S. Sarbanes (Md.), Ranking Member
• Christopher Dodd (Conn.)
• Tim Johnson (S.D.)
• Jack Reed (R.I.)
• Chuck Schumer (N.Y.)
• Evan Bayh (Ind.)
• Thomas R. Carper (Del.)
• Debbie Stabenow (Mich.)
• Robert Menendez (N.J.)

Republicans (Yea):
• Richard Shelby (Ala.), Chairman