stuck throttle??

zero18

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
car run fine most of time.
if I am traveling for awhile at around 50 to 70 when I come to a stop.. the idle stays at about 2500 rpm's.
it does not drop to normal until I come to a complete stop.
It also happens if I get on it for a short time ( like passing someone)

tried putting it in neutral and slamming the gas pedal.. no effect

replaced TPS.. coils.. plugs.. Idle air control.. cleaned map sensor

any thoughts?

car run fine most of time.
if Im traveling for awhile at around 50 to 70 when I come to a stop.. the idle stays at about 2500 rpm's.
it does not drop to normal until I come to a complete stop.
It also happens if I get on it for a short time ( like passing someone)

tried putting it in neutral and slamming the gas pedal.. no effect

replaced TPS.. coils.. plugs.. Idle air control.. cleaned map sensor

any thoughts?

This may or may not be relevant, but I'd check my throttle body if I were you. I disconnected my intake from my throttle body, and when I rotate the breather inside the throttle body I found that it was terribly gunked up around the inner surface Where the edges of the breather meet. I could easily see this gunky buildup inducing a delayed throttle response if I let it go without cleaning it. And by delayed throttle response, what I mean is I find it to be very possible that the breather's retraction response could be slowed by too much build up inside the throttle body.

Check out your Throttle Body

thank you..
cleaned entire throttle body still happens

Sorry man, I'm sure Joegr will have a way for you to track down the issue. I would advise you further but don't want to lead you in the wrong direction.

I would say that maybe your gas pedal isn't depressing all the way, or maybe one of your gas pedal throttle load sensors could be off. But I just learned we have 3 sensors that must correspond within reasonable tolerance or the vehicle goes into "etc fail safe". (I'd assume that's electronic throttle control)

Not sure what to tell you as you've replaced many of the common suspects. Keep us updated

There is an issue sometimes with some of the plastic parts of the gen I mechanical throttle linkage breaking at the throttle body and causing throttle control problems. I've seen threads on here about it.

There is an issue sometimes with some of the plastic parts of the gen I mechanical throttle linkage breaking at the throttle body and causing throttle control problems. I've seen threads on here about it.

That happened to two of our 4 Sables......

Man, when U guys like a car, you stick with it!!!!! how many "multiple" cars have you guys owned!

Hmmmmm..... A '65 (actually a '64 1/2) Mustang, a Plymouth Satellite Sebring, Two Plymouth Arrows, a Sapporo, a LeBaron (the K-Car version), 4 Sables, a mistake (Civic) and 4 LSes; three of which are still in my garage. Maybe it's loyalty, maybe its satisfication, maybe it's familiaraity or maybe it's just lack of desire to do all homework involved in buying a new car. At least with the purchase of the "same" car you go in knowing pretty much what you will have to pay.

Check end of throttle line at throttle body. on the gen I you have two tiny little plastic sleeves that fit over the linkage lever. they break apart from heat and bad things happen when you lose throttle control. you can buy new ones at dealer for $16!!!!!!!!!!! or head to Lowes, they have similar sleeves for $1 in hardware drawers.

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!! they dealer will tell you that you must buy a new throttle body!!!!!!!!!!!!! But this same sleeve is used elsewhere on the engine and can be bought separately. search for my previous posts for more info on the part.

Thanks!!
Will look at it tonight

Check end of throttle line at throttle body. on the gen I you have two tiny little plastic sleeves that fit over the linkage lever. they break apart from heat and bad things happen when you lose throttle control. you can buy new ones at dealer for $16!!!!!!!!!!! or head to Lowes, they have similar sleeves for $1 in hardware drawers.

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!! they dealer will tell you that you must buy a new throttle body!!!!!!!!!!!!! But this same sleeve is used elsewhere on the engine and can be bought separately. search for my previous posts for more info on the part.

found the problem... the hood insulation came down just enough to touch the throttle body levers

I had a 66 Fury 3 in High school...

When you barely touched the gas..it would take off, make this HORRIBLE grinding noise, and the horn would honk ... Any guesses?

Members online

Back