Strut tower bar....?

ldc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there even make a front strut tower bar for the LS? You would think something so simple would exist for our Lincolns.....

dc

I think that is something Geno would jump on if there was enough interest. They are simple to make and easy enough to install. If nothing else it's a great idea.

The LS doesn't have a tower bar? There has to be something, like was said, it's a very easy mod to aftermarket.
Hell, the CTS already has four manufacturers of bars that I have seen and it's only been around a couple years. GM factory installs one on the V.

Maybe Lincoln offers performance parts. Have you checked with your dealer?

:p

:smilies-3

ldc said:
Does anyone out there even make a front strut tower bar for the LS? You would think something so simple would exist for our Lincolns.....

dc

The LS already effectively has one built-in, so adding another one only adds weight. Under the plastic cowl pieces (that lay under the wipers), is a steel tubular bar that runs from just behind each strut tower and provides the same stiffness provided by a "STB". The plastic cowl pieces are attached to this bar and hides it from view, but it's there and it works. :D

Yeah, it's sad the LS doesn't attract the aftermarket, but in this case it doesn't need it.

I've added one - aluminum only 2lbs - looks good.

Engine Bay - Front (sml).JPG

The thing about a strut bar is it has to effictivly fasten to the strut towers enough to actually use its strength. Some factory strut bars are a descent bar but only attach on maybe a bolt or 2 and not like say a plate which better distributes the force/weight and uses it more effecitivly to prevent flexing of the chassis. I remenber reading about the v8 sho's had a similar setup to the ls where it wasn't obvious but was braced very well and not relly in need of a better bracing setup unless putting down a good amount more power than the car comes with or for track use possibly.

Even one for looks wouldnt hurt. Whats 2lbs compared to all the "bling" it provides! :woowoo2:

One like this would look cool all chromed or polished out:

dc

IMG_0318 SMR.jpg

Quik LS said:
I've added one - aluminum only 2lbs - looks good.

He Quik LS, where did you get your STB? Also, what's that charcoal doughnut looking thing in the middle of your CAI tube (just left of center in your pic). I never noticed that before.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
He Quik LS, where did you get your STB? Also, what's that charcoal doughnut looking thing in the middle of your CAI tube (just left of center in your pic). I never noticed that before.
I ordered 2 strut braces off e-bay and made one for my LS out of the peices. Had to drill new holes for the strut top plates and had to cut and bend the cross bar.

Here's what I bought:
93-96 Mitsubishi Mirage Front Strut Brace Bar
95-98 INFINITI I30 FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE BAR

The thing in the CAI is AEM 3” Bypass Valve to allow an alternate intake port should I flood my CAI - I was a little worried about my hood scoop. The picture is old - since then I have pulled the bypass valve out as the V8 actually pulls hard enough at high RPMs to open the bypass valve - so V8 owners - don't waste your time with this.

Aye, I remember your post about that valve being a WOT (waste of time), but I didn't see the pic.

Clever engineering on that STB there! :Beer

Unique to the LS you will find that the cowl extends over the back 2 cylinders and under that is a stiffening bar that wraps under from about the shock towers.
The Ls chassis was always stiff and did not need strengthening.
There are other areas....ie: springs swaybars and shocks which could use aftermarket parts however.

Gothicaleigh said:
The LS doesn't have a tower bar? There has to be something, like was said, it's a very easy mod to aftermarket.
Hell, the CTS already has four manufacturers of bars that I have seen and it's only been around a couple years. GM factory installs one on the V.

Maybe Lincoln offers performance parts. Have you checked with your dealer?

:p

:smilies-3

Members online

Back