Strange question

ludicrous speed

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make custom projector headlights on my 93 mark. Does someone know what the measurement top to bottom where the headlight goes on the car. I know the headlight itself is about 3 inches. I need to know how much room i have on the car with the headlight off. I would measure mine but its stored away at my uncle's garage 150 miles away. Any help would be appreciated. Even a pic of a first gen from the front with the headlight removed would help me a lot.

I hope that is not to confusing.

I understand the question but it's going to be confusing to you when you try to make something, for something, when that something isn't there. Why not buy an old headlight housing and see what you can make out of that instead? At least you would know what you're working with and it would be ready to fit.

I understand the question but it's going to be confusing to you when you try to make something, for something, when that something isn't there. Why not buy an old headlight housing and see what you can make out of that instead? At least you would know what you're working with and it would be ready to fit.

I won't disagree with you, I do agree with you actually. But I've been there in a preliminary stage before where it wasn't going to be the finished product anyways.. A finished product has to be PRETTY nice and sometimes it's nice to have a general mock up or two or five lol, that isn't necessarily going to be the actual product.

I'm curious, how are you going about doing this? If you don't mind my asking.. are you using plaster of paris or something similar... or?

Hope someone doesn't mind me stealing a pic from their garage...

Maybe this is good enough to give you an idea. There's really not much extra room to work with, assuming you're looking at a 1st GEN.

vbpgimage.php

I am trying to make something like Madme he's a friend of mine. I got old headlights to work with. I'm gona do the same as Madme form a piece plexiglass to the front of the headlight. I just need to make sure that i dont buy a projector that is too big that it ends up not fitting in the front clip of the car. And no i dont really want to use a factory hid housing for my project those are to rare to destroy. Thats why i needed the measurement where the headlight goes to see how much room i got to play with i think i got a maximum of about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches of room top to bottom.

I also dont want to have a ricer looking headlight. I havent decided if i want it chrome or blacked out.

I am trying to make something like Madme he's a friend of mine. I got old headlights to work with. I'm gona do the same as Madme form a piece plexiglass to the front of the headlight.

Check out 1/8" lexan if you have the means it might work best.. I think if you glue it on, then trim it, then grind/sand the corners into shape, and then buff it you could have it looking really nice....

I just need to make sure that i dont buy a projector that is too big that it ends up not fitting in the front clip of the car. And no i dont really want to use a factory hid housing for my project those are to rare to destroy. Thats why i needed the measurement where the headlight goes to see how much room i got to play with i think i got a maximum of about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches of room top to bottom

I also dont want to have a ricer looking headlight.

I'd be worried about that too. From the sounds of it you might do a pretty good job. Curious to see how you'll turn out.

I havent decided if i want it chrome or blacked out.

Here's something that may help you decided., and In case you're interested, I'm looking at these in the pics below for a gen 1 front end, custom bumper and grill, modified fenders and hood, no chrome strip.

Don't forget to keep us updated on your progress, I'd like to see.. take pics!

MAMAL1C.jpg

mazda_mazda6_s_5_door_2005_exterior_headlight.jpg

3282-043-headlight-480.jpg

i don't really like the look of projectors,not on a mark at least

Did you ever see one? If you have a picture of one that would be nice to see.

The reason i want to make some is because i want to see where I'm going at night and second I want the challenge of making them. And yes i do have an hid kit on it right now which is 110% better than the blue ricer bulbs that were in it when i bought the car.

i don't really like the look of projectors,not on a mark at least

try driving a gen 1 with bad reflectors in the headlights and you'll change your mind real fast. Anything that can be done to improve light output on a gen 1 is worth trying.

I probably should have mentioned also that I re-chromed my headlights like 93' Blue on blue did it is way better but I still want more light. Compare to the hid's I had on my old Grand Prix and the hid's on my girlfriends mazda 3 hte mark still looks like i have candles for headlights.

Members online

No members online now.
Back