Strange fluke...

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
After my power steering pump was fixed they spilled power steering fluid on the belt so it was squealing and slipping. After a few days of it not going away I decided to throw on a new belt I had purchased a year ago.

The old belt was easy to get off because it was quite loose. The new belt was super tight and was much harder to get onto the alternator than the old belt.

I start the car up and now it runs much smoother than it did before. In fact much of the stumbling is gone. Either this is a fluke and the problem will return...or the old belt was way to stretched out. I'm not sure which is the case...but I definitely know that I am going to drive her a good amount tonight to see if it truly did get better.

I'm crossing my fingers...

Could a loose belt really make a change in driveability? If so...then I learned something new today.

After having my problem I had and fixed with a new belt had me straching my head. New belt was put on in oct. Of 09 and a few mth after I start to get a squealing sound ( sounded more like a bad pully bearing. So I even tried belt dressing no change in sound. Later mth I started to get some hesitation when I punch it at 60 kinda of like a bad c.o.p. Then I go buy a new tensensioner pully noise still there then I buy an idler pully noise still there. So I grap a hose noise is coming from a/c pully well dam bad pully. I spray some lub and it quiets down but get loud again. For like bout 4-6 mth I had a 60 mph hesistation and I would also get a dead car when I would park in a parking spot ( the car would die when I cut the wheel) well a mth ago I was adding coolant/water it splashed on the belt noise stop ( weird). Ok so this is funny my buddies dad in law rub a bar of soap on the belt noise spot. Next day I get a new belt and the old one was strached new one was a tight fit. month later no more 60 mph hesitation and no more car diying when I park and squeal is gone. Glad it wasn't the a/c pully. Good luck with your new belt.

Funny. Yeah it drives better.

After going back out it does still have some of a stumbling and still has weak acceleration, but a good portion of the driveability is smoother now. Good to know for the future.

Now I just need to tackle the IMRC and hope that solves the rest of my problem.

Members online

Back