Still Overheating

rays brother

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Im getting pissed and i am lost now. Ever since i got the car last year when ray past away, its been overheating. Its not really overheating but the temp gauge goes up pretty quick and all the way up. Then once it gets there it stays there for about a minute or so then comes right back down to about half way. Then i get the message low coolant. After that it starts to climb back up but not as fast only when u hit the gas. I changed the thermostat, water pump. The hoses are warm on the bottom of the radiator. Im lost and im starting to give up on this car. I have no idea of what to do.

Gauge going "all the way up" is a bad sign...

mid way up the gauge is 200ish degree's.

(mutters)
miiight be the headgasket as much as I hate to say it...since you've already done the pump, which was the eventual culprit of a similar issue recently here on the board.

the same exact thing to the T happened to my mark. I took it to a trusted mechanic and he tested it for head gasket and that wasn't the problem. In the end all i changed was the thermostat cause when u start to over heat each time you damage your thermostat. the crazy thing is that i think the only thing it could be is that the coolant system on the mark is a B*tch to get air out of. I had it at my mechanics place and was working on it with him and he had a pressure pump tool that could be screwed onto the resovoir and put the system under pressure. it took alot of pumps, which is a sign that there is alot of air in the system. after that we took it off, and made sure that the funnel was higher then anything else and filled it back up... the crazzy thing is.. that when it was screwing up... the system wasn't holding pressure... now it is. and is fine... it is running warmer then it did before sh*t hit the fan, but it isn't goin into the "O" on my temp guage on my instrument cluster. I'm goin to have the whole system flushed and see if that cools her down anymore. even though she is holding pressure now. when mine would say low coolant on the display... it was after my system had pushed an air bubble right out through my resovoir cap along with a ton of coolant... thus making the system low....

Are you sure you burped it correctly?

Maybe not KK. If im not doing the right thing what is the right way. Alot of peeps told me it takes a lot to burp these cars. So maybe thats my problem. I topped it off again 2nite and had it out for a while and it was fine till i was comin down to my garage. It started its $hit all over again.

Get a funnel that fits snugly into the crossover... thats the big challenge...

Remove both caps
Put funnel in the crossover
Fill through the crossover until the coolant is up to the full level in the reservoir
Put reservoir cap on
Fill funnel until it is full of coolant
Start car and let is idle until it reaches full temp, add coolant if needed
Watch all the bubbles come out...
Replace the cap after all the bubble are out and the crossover is full...

Coolant pressure test. (you might want to try this)

The proper way to burp your car goes like this:
1. Jack front of the car up and put it on stands.
2. Fill overflow tank to just above the cold level.
3. Take off crossover cap. (duh)
4. Take funnel from oriellys. NOTE: This is the small funnel with the inch to inch and half long nipple at the end. It's only a couple bucks. It has a wide top and I would guess only about 7 inches in lenght. Take the funnel and using a hacksaw (saw of any type) saw off the bottom half of the nipple. This allows you to literally SCREW the funnel into the crossover hole.
5. Fill crossover to halfway up the funnel.
6. Run car for 30 minutes regularly squeezing the radiator hose on the left side.
7. Shut off car.
8. Let cool.
9. Repeat. BUT. Start the car THEN open th crossover and screw in your funnel. Fill up like before but only for a couple minutes.

I think Tony/Myco is "well versed" in burping.
He's had ALOT of practice lately..

It doesn't sound exactly the same as what was happening to me but it is close and the problem with mine was that I used a murphys brand t-stat. After going through a list of problems I decided to change it to a Motorcraft one and Followed the burping steps and no more problems.

So if you didn't use a ford t-stat when you replaced it that may be the problem.

KK and Myco,

I tried doing the thing with the funnel and it didnt go all the way up but its still going up pretty high. Ill let it cool down a little and maybe try it again later.

Rays brother forget about the front cap, Locate the heater core lines passenger side against the firewall. There are two metal lines that come up from behind the head. Where thay turn to the passenger side rubber lines connect. Take the top hose off and fill from there. If you fill the resovior first then fill heater hose you will hear all the air bubbling out. Then reconnect the hose start and top off resovior. Its very easy and quick!!!!!
Whats up man met you at carlisle.

I had an overheating issue with my '96 a couple of years ago. Replaced the 195 degree t-stat with a 160 and fixed the problem. It never overheated again and stayed in the middle of the normal section all the time. It only overheated again recently when my VLCM started to malfunction and stopped the cooling fan from running. That may or may not be your problem. Just a thought.

You MUST run the heater on max and make sure you feel warm air starting from the heater in the car when filling at the crossover.

Most of the time, burping the cooling system is not that difficult. But every once in a while it seems that 'magic amount' of air gets trapped that is a real PITA to get out. I think if it's real bad you'd be better off draining the entire system and starting over. Seemed to work for me once.

If you really want a challenge, try burping the cooling system with an electric water pump. :eek:

I had a mechanic tell me they used a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the cooling sytem and then 'pulled' coolant in. Not sure how that works and he didn't go into great detail. Anyone ever hear of this?

yeah htrd i remember you from carlisle. the fan is running and jp the heat is on full blast and i drained the coolant all the way down. im gonna try and put the car on ramps either 2morrow or over the weekend and see what the hell happens after that. if putting the car up on ramps doesnt work ill try your method htrdlincoln98.

Members online

No members online now.
Back