Stereo headunit compatibility

And, yes, I realize that if I did go with an App radio, my Android phone would need all the cabling...another reason I was on the fence about going this route anyway...

Apologies to the OP for hijacking this post...wasn't my intention.

Hijack away, I'm already slammin' the piss out of my Alpine type R now lol. You guys can talk about great white sharks, peanut butter, and pomegranate hair conditioner now for all I care.

bike70ride;2037377126didn't seem like any more than what people were also encountering with the AVIC or NEX units[/QUOTE said:
man I wish they were, the Ideal of the radio was brilliant, I just can't understand how the execution when so wrong. while the AVIC-f F series was a total nightmare, the X series that succeeded it has been pretty good, definitely one of the best out there. yeah it still has its bugs here and there but they are nowhere near as bad as the ARs do.

from what I've read Pioneer (while far from perfect) is still the best out there for the navigation units.
the AV interface and look have been top notch for a long time, but while the nav system is very powerful and accurate, the software is really bad, hard to use, and even when you buy the new software updates every year, they still seem to be way out of date compared to their competition. I would say while I still had an AVIC, I would say it probably had problems finding about 20% of the addresses I tried to input. it really struggles when the same road changes names as it runs through different towns, so as long as you're kinda familiar with the area you're going, you'll be fine. but as most of the time when I need to find a place, its because I have no ideal where I'm going and just ended up using my phone all the time.

Kenwood looks promising, but I read their HUs are known for not working as advertised. Alpine seems to have gone downhill from back in the 80's when their stuff was at or near the top in quality (and don't like their GPS interface anyway). JVC...looks cheap. That's about it for options.
finally after a few disappointing models a few years ago, kenwoods are using much faster processors and now their radios are pretty fluid, and well with garmin GPS, its super easy to use and easy to update. (also i would say pretty hard to beat as far as accurate maps) JVC's are pretty much the same systems just with different (and usually pretty good) interfaces. as for alpine, even if they have fallen off since back in the day, I would say they haven't fallen off nearly as much as any other brand and still have the sound thats extremely hard to beat

iPhone compatibility means nothing to me and I could care less if it works well with an apple device. The android issues are a problem, however, but other than pairing my phone to do hands-free calling, that's really all I need...I don't have playlists and stuff to need the link to my phone for anything more then use as a phone.
that kinda the route I took, google maps on my phone are always up to date, has as interface that is as easy to use as any out there especially when using it with google now voice commands. I still use my phone for 98% of all my music with either internally stored collection of albums or Pandora so all I really needed was a radio with good sound, good controls, and bluetooth. so I ditched the expensive nav for a pioneer AVH model with has been rock solid. then I just use the phone to give nav instruction and it even mutes the pandora or music for directions!

Thx Loud. I appreciate the info. I do rather like the new Kenwoods and that they use Garmin GPS (instead of I believe "Here" for Pioneer). I think Kenwood just came out with some new models...might have to go that route instead of Pio. I had one nice Kenwood single DIN deck years back and I liked it a lot other than it was pretty finicky about playing CDs and skipping...ever since new, and I'm not a smoker or anything...

the android connection is a joke... pretty much see above and also if you have a MHL connection, here to praying that you have the right version...
and if you have mirror link, heres to praying that you have a "compatible version" what ever that means, I though that the point of an interface standard was so that they work...

did I mention they freeze often?

Good to know. I was getting excited about MirrorLink when planning my upcoming head unit purchase.

Loud, what touchscreen double DINs would you recommend to someone who generally dislikes touchscreens? I find them difficult to navigate while driving with the lack of tactile feedback, but as noted above, single DINs look like crap...

Loud, what touchscreen double DINs would you recommend to someone who generally dislikes touchscreens? I find them difficult to navigate while driving with the lack of tactile feedback, but as noted above, single DINs look like crap...

pioneer and kenwood are pretty good, but as with every touch screen, not being able to find buttons without looking is near impossible. honestly, 97% of the time, I'm just using the steering wheel controls or google now...

I do rather like the new Kenwoods and that they use Garmin GPS (instead of I believe "Here" for Pioneer). I

they really are hard to beat, the best part is that they have one of the strongest sound processors in their radios, you have a lot more control than most radios, I personally love that they let you control the front and rear crossovers separately (while not a huge deal with an LS having the same sized speakers front and back, but very nice in a car that has 6x9s in the back and 4" or 5" speakers up front)

Now that I'm leaning Kenwood...what are your thoughts on Excelon vs. just the standard units? Not much difference that I can see other than warranty, hi-volt pre-outs and more bands EQ... About a $200 price difference, trying to decide if it's worth that?

the excelons are for people serious about sound quality, they generally have a few internal upgrades geared toward better sound (higher volt pre outs and a more powerful DSP/EQ are part of this) sometimes you get a better screen. and at least back when I had one they had a 2 year warranty (as long as you purchase from an authorized dealer...)

so really if your gonna be only changing the head unit and leaving all of the speakers, then the difference would be pretty minimal (basically paying for EQ and warranty) but if you're going for getting great sound and talking about speakers and amps, then yeah, I would say it would be worth it to me at least.

Guess here is a good place to ask you this: I've been considering replacing the HU in my LS with a Kenwood DDX271. What's the difference between the 271 and 272? I can't really find one other than the 272 is a little bit newer refresh of it?

Members online

No members online now.
Back