Stereo Compatability

MARYSVILLAIN

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2006 Ls V8 and am new here. This topic has probably already been posted somewhere but I've had a hard time trying to find my answer. So I want to put in a new radio/MP3/Bluetooth/gps, it's the Planet Audio PNV9680 and I was wondering if anybody knew if that system would fit into my car? I think that my car is the "amplified silver dash" which is compatible, but I'm not 100% sure. Thank you for reading.

any double din unit will fit in a LS. you'll need a bezel and harnesses, but without knowing your setup (I doubt you do either) basic ones will work...

b. all 2ng gens are "silver dash"
3. use google to search... any post you'll ever think of is already here...
3.1 use "site:lincolnvscadillac.com" before your question in google.

Last edited:
as long as you DO NOT have factory nav, it doesn't really matter what audio options you have...

you will need a dash kit, in silver.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...gixWyMCB7VSA1o3JYOIkfqlWOWhqRU5lRfBoC_Izw_wcB

then you will need a wire harness, this one has the main harness you need if you dont have amps, and also has the sub amp/center console amp integration harness.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12664_Metra-70-5521.html

you will also need a steering wheel control integration module if you would like to keep the SW controls working (and who wouldn't...) I prefer either the ASWC or the Maestro SW (the maestro allows you to easily set each button to do two different jobs) and install is the same for either (except for the maestro need to be programmed on a computer and the ASWC auto programs once installed)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22808_Axxess-ASWC.html

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wW5jbv...o-ADS-MSW-Steering-Wheel-Control-Adapter.html

if you DO have the factory Nav option, then you wont need that wire harness, but you will need to heavily modify the factory wire harness to get all of the amps to work. Joegr made a great walk through that you can search for if you have the OEM NAV.

Mr.Howie made a great walk through to follow if you dont have the OEM NAV

as far as the radio itself, I wouldn't go with anything from that brand, but that's just me, you surely wont find a great unit with nav built in for anywhere near that price...

Though your financial state is none of my business, planet audio is very low budget. For just a little more you should be able to score a double din Pioneer unit that will provide you with the features you want. Planet audio is cheap and will likely break and fail due to poor assembly.

You're probably already aware of this, just wanted to give you some insight incase you weren't. Either route you go, you'll have all the help you need here. Good luck

And also, if you order from sonic electronix, they will include a free vehicle specific wiring harness to accommodate your new stereo. They will also include a free dash kit (HOWEVER, others as well as I would highly suggest you go with a Metra kit due to it's OEM look and fitment). Sonic will also give you a discount on a steering wheel adapter with your order, maybe 30% off or something. Your shipping will be free on an order of $100 or more too.

you will also need a steering wheel control integration module if you would like to keep the SW controls working (and who wouldn't...) I prefer either the ASWC or the Maestro SW (the maestro allows you to easily set each button to do two different jobs) and install is the same for either (except for the maestro need to be programmed on a computer and the ASWC auto programs once installed)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22808_Axxess-ASWC.html

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wW5jbv...o-ADS-MSW-Steering-Wheel-Control-Adapter.html

I am confused as to why do you guys waist money on "steering wheel control integration module."???????????:confused:
Just finished a double din stereo install on my Daily driven 2006 LS V8. Non-Navi but with AMp/Sub.
Steering wheel controls are Pin 18(reference voltage) and Pin 19(Signal return) on the main stereo connector.
YES, the aftermarket wire harness does not have wires in pin18/19. I took out The dimmer wire and the power antenna wire out of the aftermarket harness. Then put them into PIN 18 and 19. This way you have a complete signal from OEM harness to the Aftermarket harness. You could also just add the two extra wires on your own into Pin 18/19.
My new stereo had two wires coming out of its harness called "Key 1 and the other Key 2, dedicated for steering wheel control.
Pin 18 I hooked up to KEY1 wire. Then Pin19 I hooked up with the Black ground wire.
Powered up the stereo and went into the steering wheel control button configuration, pretty similar on all the aftermarket stereos.
All of my steering wheel controls work and I can change their arrangement at any time.

I hope this makes sense. Enjoy

Oh wow, well it makes sense why it's the cheaper of options lol. Well I haven't been able to find a good brand or any other one with those options under $400 at all. Everything is pretty much $600+, then I would have to have it installed and what not :(

Shoot ok, I'll look more into them then. They don't seem to have much variety for the Ls. But that would be perfect, to have everything that I would need included.

I am confused as to why do you guys waist money on "steering wheel control integration module."???????????:confused:
Just finished a double din stereo install on my Daily driven 2006 LS V8. Non-Navi but with AMp/Sub.
Steering wheel controls are Pin 18(reference voltage) and Pin 19(Signal return) on the main stereo connector.
YES, the aftermarket wire harness does not have wires in pin18/19. I took out The dimmer wire and the power antenna wire out of the aftermarket harness. Then put them into PIN 18 and 19. This way you have a complete signal from OEM harness to the Aftermarket harness. You could also just add the two extra wires on your own into Pin 18/19.
My new stereo had two wires coming out of its harness called "Key 1 and the other Key 2, dedicated for steering wheel control.
Pin 18 I hooked up to KEY1 wire. Then Pin19 I hooked up with the Black ground wire.
Powered up the stereo and went into the steering wheel control button configuration, pretty similar on all the aftermarket stereos.
All of my steering wheel controls work and I can change their arrangement at any time.

Ok, I am completely lost honestly lol.. (Have no experience with installing stereos or electrica systems in general)

Shoot ok, I'll look more into them then. They don't seem to have much variety for the Ls. But that would be perfect, to have everything that I would need included.

What do you mean not much variety?
Any Universal aftermarket stereo from the cheap ones to the top brand stereo's, they will all work. It is just all up to you on how much you want to spend. Single din or Double Din.
You will have to buy the 2006 Lincoln LS specific wiring harness(Scosche FDK11B for lincoln LS 2004-2006) and the dash kit(Dash kit LN1329B).
Dash kit-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/METRA-CAR-S...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item4165f68f4f&vxp=mtr

Wire harness-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOPHILE-...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item5b0bcd8402&vxp=mtr

Good luck.

no need to be confused by this, it is actually very simple...

this is not the norm... most good quality brands do not have this functionality built in, in fact they are/were mainly designed years ago to be able to have a wired remote hooked up to them years ago (think like an RV, radio in the dash, ande a controller will all the functions in the back) or like sony did, they had a add-on stalk that would mount to the side of your steering column like most wiper or turn signal switches do to add "easier to reach" controls to your car

this was years before cars started adding audio controls on to steering wheels... since all brands don't like sharing their information with their competition, they all use a different system (or a lot of the time, similar system but different codes for each command)

fast forward to the last decade or two when it started becoming popular to have them from the factory, so a few companies started making "translate" modules that would convert the OEM resistance based controls to the configuration that the radio needed to see all using that same port.

again, most name brands are expecting to see their own codes so you still need that module.

however, there are a lot of the low end brands that like Jensen, Pyle, Dual and other cheap brands that (since most are being made for them by some other company) don't/never did offer their own wired remote, they have a learning system that can be hooked up to resistance based SW controls and then programmed what buttons do what (honestly, this usually only works less than half the time). they usually do support two different resistance lines and a ground reference line in case you need to send ground into the other side of the controls...

HOWEVER, even those super cool radios wont work with a lot of new cars since they are switching to CAN based SW controls instead of the older resistance based control scheme. in those cars, you still need a SW module that works with can (not all do...) to translate over to a resistance based system, and then they can be learned in.

however, if the last decade and a half of installing has taught me anything, I would rather buy a $50-$70 module and have a great quality head unit, than a loaded with features China special that needs to be replaced every other year (if you're extremely lucky). hell with a lot of the new cars that need pricey modules just to get the radio to function, now have this part built in...

I'm telling you, enjoy these days of $10 wire harnesses, because the times are a changing...

They don't seem to have much variety for the Ls.

as mentioned above, almost all radio's come in one of two sizes, either single DIN or double DIN.

and there is a dash kit made for each size for the LS.

so really, almost every aftermarket radio out there will fit into the LS! doesn't get much more variety than that...

this is not the norm... most good quality brands do not have this functionality built in, in fact they are/were mainly designed years ago to be able to have a wired remote hooked up to them years ago (think like an RV, radio in the dash, ande a controller will all the functions in the back) or like sony did, they had a add-on stalk that would mount to the side of your steering column like most wiper or turn signal switches do to add "easier to reach" controls to your car

this was years before cars started adding audio controls on to steering wheels... since all brands don't like sharing their information with their competition, they all use a different system (or a lot of the time, similar system but different codes for each command)

fast forward to the last decade or two when it started becoming popular to have them from the factory, so a few companies started making "translate" modules that would convert the OEM resistance based controls to the configuration that the radio needed to see all using that same port.

again, most name brands are expecting to see their own codes so you still need that module.

however, there are a lot of the low end brands that like Jensen, Pyle, Dual and other cheap brands that (since most are being made for them by some other company) dont/never did offer their own wired remote, they have a learning system that can be hooked up to resistance based SW controls and then programmed what buttons do what (honestly, this usually only works less than half the time). they usually do support two different resistance lines and a ground reference line in case you need to send ground into the other side of the controls...

HOWEVER, even those super cool radios wont work with a lot of new cars since they are switching to CAN based SW controls instead of the older resistance based control scheme. in those cars, you still need a SW module that works with can (not all do...) to translate over to a resistance based system, and then they can be learned in.

however, if the last decade and a half of installing has taught me anything, I would rather buy a $50-$70 module and have a great quality head unit, than a loaded with features China special that needs to be replaced every other year (if you're extremely lucky). hell with a lot of the new cars that need pricey modules just to get the radio to function, now have this part built in...

I'm telling you, enjoy these days of $10 wire harnesses, because the times are a changing...

:N

nice writeup

I am confused as to why do you guys waist money on "steering wheel control integration module."???????????:confused:...

Because 99% of the radios out there are not compatible with the analog signal levels that Ford uses for steering wheel controls. Apparently, you got one of the 1% that are.

Edit: Should have read the rest of the thread before replying. It was well answered already.

Because 99% of the radios out there are not compatible with the analog signal levels that Ford uses for steering wheel controls. Apparently, you got one of the 1% that are.

Edit: Should have read the rest of the thread before replying. It was well answered already.

1LoudLS- thanks for the details!

You know fellas, maybe back in 2006-2008 when the Lincoln LS was still worth $10k+.. I would have went and spent $500+ on a quality and name-brand Double din head unit.

Today's reality is, that the Lincoln LS is worthless.. I got my 2006 LS V8 with 90k miles for $1800 for a daily driver, and just could not let myself spend $500+ on a head unit. So I went online and bought the cheap $135/freeshipping china double din fully loaded with all the goodies head unit. Took an evening to install. My steering wheel controls are all working, my AMP/Sub as well, and the iGo Primo navigation software is great. If it last for a few months or maybe even a year, nice! But if it doesn't, who cares? I did not blow $500-1000 on it, which is half the cars value!

I am weak though when it comes to the Modding-bug.. One of my mufflers had a bad weld, so I had a custom Catback Magnaflow exhaust made.. lol
Now I am waiting for T-money to get back to buy his Eibach's. Also got a full roll of Hexis Matte-Black galaxy vinyl wrap.

Cheers!

Damn! Is this guy still here? I'm having this exact problem. I have the factory wiring diagram for mine. Mine is an 02 though and pin 18 on mine Audio signal negative right and pin 19 is Audio signal positive left.
Pin 14 on mine says Steering wheel control, Audio signal positive. What is the other pin for mine I should use? Because the diagram shows only that one wire coming from the controls.

It is just one wire. It is ground referenced, so ground the other wire.

I think I tried that but it didn't work. Connect the SWC to like Key 1 and Key 2 to ground? I'll try again tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.
Back