blk04lse

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Curious w/ how much of a grain of salt I should take the Status indicator, especially the "Oil Life"... Talking w/ the Service Manager, he said not to pay attention to it...

Interesting, I just purchased the car a couple weeks ago w/ 19,000 miles on it and after 900 miles since the previous oil change, the Oil Life read 68%.... The dealership said they put in 5w 20 synthetic blend when the oil was changed prior to my purchase. I presume they would reset the Status indicator... I since switched over the mobile 1 0w 20 full synthetic w/ 20,000 miles on it...

So, what is your point of view of this Oil Life indicator and the 68% reading?

Thanks

Dave

I dont think it actually checks the oil, if that's what you are thinking.
If you change your oil today and reset it, it counts down until next 3000 miles. if your car has 10,000 miles on it and reset was done, after 1000 miles, your oil life will be 66%, 2000 miles it will read 33%, and at 3000 miles, it will be 0%. Isnt this how this work?

blk04lse said:
Hello,

Curious w/ how much of a grain of salt I should take the Status indicator, especially the "Oil Life"... Talking w/ the Service Manager, he said not to pay attention to it...

Interesting, I just purchased the car a couple weeks ago w/ 19,000 miles on it and after 900 miles since the previous oil change, the Oil Life read 68%.... The dealership said they put in 5w 20 synthetic blend when the oil was changed prior to my purchase. I presume they would reset the Status indicator... I since switched over the mobile 1 0w 20 full synthetic w/ 20,000 miles on it...

So, what is your point of view of this Oil Life indicator and the 68% reading?

Thanks

Dave

it counts down from 5000 miles since last reset.

The LS was on a 5000 mile service interval.

Unless I didn't read your post right, I would be running 5w-30 Mobil one in it... Why did you go down to 0W oil? Blends are a waste of time and money, stick to the real thing.

Thats strange cause i took my car in to the lincoln place and they changed it with 5w-0 is that what ford is switching too now.

depends on WHERE you live.. Different climates call for different blends.. 5-30,5-20,etc.... Here in Texas, it's 5-20.

I thought Ford just started using 0w20. Well I plan on sticking with the 5w20 mobile one. I had been using castrol syntec and unbeknownst to me it really wasn't synthetic. I live in Florida and it can get rather hot but rarely gets over 100 so is the 5w20 a good oil to stick with? IIRC the 5w is the winter viscosity rating but I do not recall that the last set of numerals represent. I think it is viscosity at operating temp.

Is there a chart or something that can help you decide what oil to use by region?

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.. I am running full synthetic, just 0w 20 Mobil 1...

Let me rephrase... The dealer puts in the 5-20.... But I'm gonna start 5-30 myself

Ok... so going from 20 to 30 means that the oild stays thicker at higher temps. So if you plan on running the car hard or in high temp regions. So i guess it comes back to finding what the ranges are for the 20 vs the 30. does anyone have a table or data sheet that outlines these specs?

Members online

No members online now.
Back