Starts then dies

keatonsdad

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I just get the car back on the road and this morning after church it dies, like is out of gas, but its not it has half of a tank. I can hear the pump run I did however break the evap purge valve in the process of removing the suspension compressor for Laser. I have replaced that broken part, I also had to lower the gas tank to replace the drive shaft, the only thing I removed from the tank was the filler neck. Is there anything else other than reversing the purge valve lines, or did I pull something loose at the tank and not know it. The car is not where I can work on it right now so I can't check.

Check your fuel pressure. How long since fuel filter change? How many miles on current fuel pump?

Better description of what's happening please.
Like what happens after it died how was it acting
During and before it died etcetera.

slowmkviii;771ev669 said:
Better description of what's happening please.
Like what happens after it died how was it acting
During and before it died etcetera.

The car ran fine before this happened it will crank and start up fine and run for 5 seconds or so and then shut off like I turned the key off. It has the original pump in it but it is a newer filter as soon as i get it home this afternoon ill check fuel pressure and im going to replace the filter just to be safe. I also plan on checking the installation of the evap canister purge valve. I was just thinking about the location of the canister, I relocated it from it's original location to about 4 inches higher. could this be part of the problem or am I over thinking the problem

I say since this is a new issue and started after you messed with tank and such, that there is either a bad contact on fuel pump at the tank or a faulty ground or broken connection. Pump is cycling at start up and pressurizes initially. Then shuts off, tells me there is a bad or faulty connection at the tank, or an issue at the enertial switch (fuel shut-off switch). Recheck your connections and wires for proper connections or a grounding issue. Retrace your efforts at point of issue at tank.

Make sure your inertial cutoff isn't bad. I had a basically identical issue with my truck and the problem ended up being a faulty cutoff.

I think the one of the first things I would try would
Be to just unhooking the evap. And see how it runs

I say since this is a new issue and started after you messed with tank and such, that there is either a bad contact on fuel pump at the tank or a faulty ground or broken connection. Pump is cycling at start up and pressurizes initially. Then shuts off, tells me there is a bad or faulty connection at the tank, or an issue at the enertial switch (fuel shut-off switch). Recheck your connections and wires for proper connections or a grounding issue. Retrace your efforts at point of issue at tank.

yeah definitely. if you've had it apart, you're best off starting there.

Alright so I'm sitting in my car now with it running (go figure) and it is running normal I can give it gas no problems dirge it around the parking lot and then if I hammer the throttle it will act like it's going to die so I tether the gas peddle and keep it alive the strange thing is that if I do this the cel goes off till the motor runs smith again. My thoughts are that it's the fuel pump getting week and or the fuel filter needing replaced I'm getting ready to go read the codes right now.

Never made it to the Orilies to read the codes it started to die again so I backed into the church parking lot once again. Webvette and I will be bringing it home later today just because my brain is fried and my time is short I will be replacing the pump and filter as well as the FPR so I don't have to mess with any of it for a while. That being said as my time is short can anyone refresh my memory on what fuel pump to get. I am on my phone and don't have time nor the patience to use the search right now.

I'm voting for loose hose connections to the fuel pump a well, especially since you said you lowered the tank.

On my 98 LSC, fuel pump problems started with sporadic shut-offs and we would sometimes smell gas fumes inside the car and they seemed to be strongest in the back seat area. Finally it shut off for good.

I found a used replacement pump, we dropped the tank and low and behold there were two screws on the pump that hold the little plastic plate where the hoses fittings were. These screws had gotten rusty and stripped out so the plate had simply worked itself loose over time, causing poor (or no) suction for the pump.

I do not think it is wise to go and spend all that money on something that you are not for sure will fix your issue at hand. Waste of money in my mind. If you are determined to just throw parts at it to save time, that there is a wrong mentallity. Throwing on parts you do not need is a waste of time because issue will not be fixed in most cases. Do as you wish, and auto parts stores love that mentality in shoppers. But if it were me, and this issue is a result of the after effects of a repair, especially at the tank area repair. I would simply trace my repair and find the issue that is really causing this intermidiate shutoff.

It is either a ground issue, bad or broken connection at pump or a faulty inertia switch, or hell a loose fuel line sucking air after it pressurizes itself. Pumps and FPR and filters do not just decide to go bad like that. You would of seen this coming most likely.

Hope it works out, but I would not recommend the avenue you are taking. Everyone and their mother is going to tell you to check or replace this or that because this is what happened to mine in a similar situation. Sometimes that works, but most times without proper diagnostics, it is a failure.

I have to pull the tank back down to check the connections anyway. I know it is an original pump with 130000 on it so if I pull the tank down and it's not a connection then I'll replace the pump. I don't just throw parts at things but I thank you for your concern. It's a process of elimination and by saying I was starting with the pump and filter I Kent looking for loose connections and the like. As for the filter I havenever changed it so who knows how old it is so ther is no harm in replacing it.

sympts similar

mine has been dieing same conditions priced a pump at 260 + tax bosc fuel preasure at 10 when it has trbl starting and shld be 60 i'm told and it will sit and build up again this all found when being smoked for evap leak p171 p174 i believe were the codes the kept telling me the o2 sensors are gone everywhere i brought it but still going with jamies advice and most others that it is a evap leak just having a hard time finding it the old fashion way with starter fluid will pay 45 for smoke waiting on connection problem no garage up north here but sounds like i could give a shot on rust or ground since every other time ithas been ground issue or rust coausing me trbl please advise anyone do appreciated help thanks all 1998 MKVIII LSC

have new fuel filter and air filter had critters ruining interior roof ate fullbox of poison and caught three two months ago on batt thought they got a line somewhere this happens when i cover it from snow

Members online

No members online now.
Back